Notices

Racing seats...sorta

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Racing seats...sorta

So I'm considering buying/installing a not-too-extreme racing seat. On my last track days, I pointed my video cam at myself to see what I was doing and hopefully improve my driving. One thing was very apparent: I was flopping about like a rag doll ( oh those sticky r-compounds!). I am considering the Sparco R333 since it seems to be daily driver cruiser freindly but offers more support than the stock seats. I also like the idea of seats than can slide/fold so that I can access the access panel. There are other, more or less expensive models and brands. I don't want cheapo p-o-s brands but I'm trying to keep from sliding too far down this slippery slope!
So, your turn: what is your experience/recommendations on this?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:46 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not up on the street-friendly but more containing seats but your thinking is sound.
Is there a store with a wide selection for you to try?
Like helmets, you are better off trying several before buying.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Is there a store with a wide selection for you to try?
Perry Auto
Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 AM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

So far my experience with Perry has been less than stellar. When I bought my helmet there, the clerk was not particularly helpful. As I was a newbie at the time, I wasn't feeling vety confident about my choice and the $600 I was laying out. Yesterday I went to look at seats and since it was 12h10, the store was open but the performance section was closed for an hour. I said that I wanted to look at the seats while waiting for the lunch break to finish. No go. I guess they figured I might steal a car seat if left unattended!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

At Perry make an appt ahead of time with Carl. Great service and knows his stuff. Takes his time and makes sure your happy with the products being purchased.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Best bet is to go back there and try out their seats , unfortunately they are pretty much the only ones locally that have a good selection.
When i was shopping for a Halo seat for the race car i had purchased an OMP from Perry, brought it home and set a tire in the basement and put the seat in it and watched tv for an hour ... turns out i returned it the next day and exchanged it for a Cobra seat which was $300. more but fit me like a glove , i never regretted my decision !

I think Ian bought a set of folding Recaros for his 911, you might want to check in with him and get his feedback ...
Normally Karl will take the time to go through your needs , guess they were really busy at the time , anyhow , i always had good service there !
Old 09-07-2017, 01:38 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Best bet is to go back there and try out their seats , unfortunately they are pretty much the only ones locally that have a good selection.
When i was shopping for a Halo seat for the race car i had purchased an OMP from Perry, brought it home and set a tire in the basement and put the seat in it and watched tv for an hour ... turns out i returned it the next day and exchanged it for a Cobra seat which was $300. more but fit me like a glove , i never regretted my decision !

I think Ian bought a set of folding Recaros for his 911, you might want to check in with him and get his feedback ...
Normally Karl will take the time to go through your needs , guess they were really busy at the time , anyhow , i always had good service there !
Actually I just got back from Perry and a fellow (Joe?) spent about an hour with me and I tried numerous seats. Good experience . Result was probably Evo II
Happier now. 😊
Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RECARO SEAT

After one season in my 996 C4S, I realized that I was sliding around too much on my pleated leather, luxo seats.
I found a 996 GT3 Recaro seat online, installed it, and it is by far, the most significant improvement to my tracking experience.
It is now installed in my 997.
It's always about ergonomics!
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Joe, I see you seem to be using the factory seatbelt, which is also my intention. I'm really not ready to invest in 6-point, Hans device, etc. The Sparco Evo 2 allows me to do this, the seat seems comfortable, and the total outlay would be around $1500.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:28 AM
serpags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewArt
So far my experience with Perry has been less than stellar. When I bought my helmet there, the clerk was not particularly helpful. As I was a newbie at the time, I wasn't feeling vety confident about my choice and the $600 I was laying out. Yesterday I went to look at seats and since it was 12h10, the store was open but the performance section was closed for an hour. I said that I wanted to look at the seats while waiting for the lunch break to finish. No go. I guess they figured I might steal a car seat if left unattended!
James:

Typically, you would call and ask for Carl or Alex in the performance division and take a 30 min set appt. You will have expert advise and undivided attention and education of which seat is best for your needs. They take much pride in ensuring that the client is purchasing what they need and not so much what they want. This usually make for happy clients .

Good luck
Old 09-09-2017, 09:37 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Jim:
Unfortunately, Joe's intructor gets an inferior seat choice.....( and come to think of it I thought the regs were driver/instructor had to have the same....anywho, what you should check into is the seat belt "clip" that locks your regular seat belt snuggily in place......if you haven't already got one of those........the clip and the seat will help you tremendously. GL
Old 09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this seat for passenger
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...cts/speed.html

And this seat for the driver
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...iberglass.html

As you can see, the passenger seat provide access to the back.

Happy to let you try them at the next DE.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:34 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
Jim:
Unfortunately, Joe's intructor gets an inferior seat choice.....( and come to think of it I thought the regs were driver/instructor had to have the same....anywho, what you should check into is the seat belt "clip" that locks your regular seat belt snuggily in place......if you haven't already got one of those........the clip and the seat will help you tremendously. GL
I think that the rules state that the instructor should have the same safety equipment, ie 3 point vs 6 point harness.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:39 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibeaudoin
I have this seat for passenger
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...cts/speed.html

And this seat for the driver
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...iberglass.html

As you can see, the passenger seat provide access to the back.

Happy to let you try them at the next DE.
Thanks Ian, I don't really need a passenger seat since if my wife ever came on track with me, she'd be more interested in a barf bag than a more supportive seat!
Otherwise, the driver seat looks great although a bit pricey, no?
Old 09-10-2017, 02:42 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Your recognition of your movement in the car while on track, and your consideration of more of a racing seat is a combination of both safety and performance. Safety from the aspect that you are not secure in your current seats, and performance from the standpoint that you can't really feel all that's going on with the car or be entirely focused on just driving when you are unconsciously having to spend so much mental capacity just managing your seating and positioning. You might think that BS... you'd see such a difference if you had different seats.

Like everything else in this exercise of drivers education, we all go thru an increasing series of "trades" as we advance. You are at one of those decision points now, and really a question of what you want. Can you keep the seats you have and do drivers ed and still progress ? Absolutely. Will you be SAFER and more comfortable and able to progress and learn with race seats ? Also absolutely.

So from there it's a decision on what you want, and your choice to make. Very early in my driving development I got GT3 seats (plural) and honestly believe it helped me enormously in my progression... to the point where I quickly felt as though they weren't supportive enough and was moving around still. As Ive advanced into a much more capable car, the one thing that I continually think about is putting a pair of race seats in. I'm at the same decision point as you in some ways and have elected to stay where I'm at for this year (although I already have the GT2 deep buckets with 6 point harnesses).

SO - I'm glad to see you thinking of seats. First and foremost, they are a safety item. Anything you can do safety wise is smart if you are going to keep driving and as you get more capable and faster. It will also improve your performance without all the other silly modifications and money we throw into cars to be "faster" (different brakes, more horsepower, upgraded suspension, and mostly slick tires).

What I'll say is that if you do make the decision for a seat, to get good seats... and get a matching set (get 2 of them). I won't elaborate more than that here and now, but would be happy to discuss in a couple weeks at the Sept Rennsport event.

Quick Reply: Racing seats...sorta