Notices

fighter maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fighter maintenance...

will use here to document my fighter services, maintenance and stuff.

1st, after delivery from new, the fuel delivery by twisting the throttle isnt all that great, quickly came back and adjusted it. Carbs need adjusting, damn.

2nd, maybe too much oil in it, because its leaking a small quarter size spot everytime when parked, so sucked some out after couple more times of riding.

3. wont start whatsoever, i think on the 3rd or 4th ride, almost took everything apart to find the starter wire was pulled from its connector, could be careless assembly from the factory, because the wire was too short, so they pulled on it and eventually disconnected itself. Chen, my shop guy took this chance to install a battery volt reader so he doesnt have to take the whole bike apart next time to figure electric issues like this one.
All the battery and wires are located in front of the rear wheel with tight access, this leads to scratches on the pretty alloy battery box and possible wires being squeeshed, so extra care is required.

4. bike coughs and doesnt want to accelerate much past 3k rpm, so i added a bottle of fuel system cleaner which seem to do the trick, still keeping an eye on this problem, because it could thunder way past 5k just 3 days ago.

5. speedometer reads zero, so took rear wheel off to find the factory installed the sensor too close to the contact point so sensor has been shaved off, need new sensor. This was obviously an factory installed error, if they can install it further away, it would of been fine, guess they dont wanna let me know how fast im going. And this happened couple hundred miles from new.

6. oh yea ran out of gas once, because the small a$$ tank only holds something like 8-9 liters which gives u a range of maybe 100km or 60 miles per tank in NO stop and go, and good mountain riding. So basically it is true, im topping up every other ride. Any of my MVs holds twice as much gas and goes atleast twice the distance, but style is in play here.
The gas cap rubber gasket, is too thin so it makes the cap lose and leads to leaking fuel when topping off, Chen's boys replaced it with a thicker rubber and now its tight and care is needed not to scratch up the nice looking cap.

7. bolts and screws get missing with rides, luckily screws are made easily locally, but definitely get extra screws from the factory, especially the ones with 3 dots on it. I would ask for 10 extra bolts and screws, and they all need re-tightening everytime u in the shop, we already found a couple missing or loss after just a week of riding.

8. shocks and fuel delivery need many adjustments to get it perfect, so far shock adjusting is making the bike handle and ride better, while fuel during start up and over 3k still needs to be monitored.

So far love riding the bike and it is very fast and handles very well for what it is. Really enjoy the riding position and everything about the bike, so far fuel delivery has been ok after 3k rpm, fingers crossed, because this bike seem to develop new problems every other ride and it only got 300 miles from new!! Getting it perfect seem to be half the fun, but if this was my jap or italian bikes, i would of push it down a cliff the day i bought it.

plenty of small issues to deal with, like lose handle bars, or like exhaust pipes burning holes in my pants before the wrap, etc, so if i didnt have a shop like mine, couple miles from my house or the great service that it can provide, i will never be able to get this ****. yes, its nice, but yes its totally unreliable compare to any new agustas or ducatis even.

its my 1st american v-twin, and i hear all the harleys are unreliable and have bad fuel system carbs too, so i dont know.
but amazingly i love riding it much more than my other pricey ones too, maybe because of the relaxed riding position and chill out speed.

i always enjoy driving a slow car fast, and this definitely is that kind of fun.

Quick Reply: fighter maintenance...