44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Club Great Britain

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Tiggy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think you've probably got it about right although I suspect a lot of us fall somewhere between the two groups. Getting oily when we need to and polishing when we're shamed into it !!

As I spend a lot of time working offshore for days on end then I, personally, have to balance the time spent with the car vs time spent with the family and so plan anything with PCGB accordingly !!

I am sure that once I have owned her a little longer and the kids are bigger then I'll be doing trackdays etc. At the moment she gets cossetted because I had to wait so long to get her !
Old 12-09-2003, 02:16 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

I am a member, although I am based in Cyprus.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually Helen - I did submit an article for PP about my first trip abroad in my 911 (my first road trip abroad in a car ever) - we went to Champagne. that was about 3 weeks before Eynsham - and still no sign of it. I also enquired about what was required to submit running reports as I thought it may prove interesting to see a UK based 993 being run - but nothing came back from my enquiry. So you get what you put in eh?
Maybe thats true if you're "in" - not so true if you're not (imho).

Actually, I think my membership is up for renewal soon, to be honest, I get more out of Titanic and Rennlist than I do from pcgb (and I'm willing to put in too - I arranged a lunch and drive in April for Titanic-ers; very successful it was too), will probably arrange another in the Spring and plans are also afoot to arrange a trip to the Isle Of Man and I see John Boggiano's trying to sort a trip to the 'Ring/Spa which I'll probably tag along to too.

So you see its not just a case of 'bitching' or 'moaning'.

Last edited by Surj-993C2S; 12-10-2003 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Helen
Racer

sorry to hear that your artical hasn't been printed yet. I can chase that up for you if you like.?

and no it's not so much as who you know in the club. I too have had articals turned down or edited to nothing. one of which i was very cross about as i thought it was a of great interest. I got a request to help a young chap find a 911 as a suprise birthday presant for his fathers Birthday.

I should point out that apart from the Girls at H/O, the motor sport section,and the Marketing team. that all the staff and officials of the club do the work un-paid and in their spare time. so we do get things wrong sometimes. more help is always needed. it can become very disheartening when we put a lot of effort (and sometimes our own money)into an event or outing only to get a low response or turn out on the day.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:36 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its not the fact that it wasn't printed - just that we (993 register) were constantly asked to submit 'something' - so I did.

Dont get me wrong - I appreciate the work people do (esp the girls at HQ - they were great at getting me extra tickets for Eynsham at the last minute) but as your 'average' member - I dont think I got much out of it in the past year apart from the classifieds in PP.

If the 'alienation' of pcgb from its members is getting better then thats great - but there's a long way to go!!

Old 12-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Helen
Racer

have to agree with you that the PCGB has a way to go yet,

My Husband Larry will be standing for election to become a Director at the AGM in March. He feels even stronger than me that the members should be getting more for their money.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:39 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to hand it to you Helen for dedication and commitment. Its a pity there weren't a few more like you.
I think the overall impression I get is that a lot of past and present members feel that the club is not catering for the majority but rather for the few `well heeled' minority.

It is a bit of a dilema for the club I suppose because on the one hand you have one of the most exclusive marques (which after all is an important part of the attraction to these cars) which sort of demands a classy, well heeled distinctive image which the club has maintained.

On the other hand without the support of the `grass routes'Porsche club members (who probably form the majority of the membership) the club would struggle to survive financially.

Perhaps there is an argument for the club to form another membership catagorie (say associate member ) with reduced rate subscription for those for whom full membership is not cost effective ie non Porsche owners or people living abroad or under 17s or disabled non drivers or those that would just like to use the forum or receive the P Post but not join in any social events.
At least this would increase membership, boost the forums and the extra subscriptions would be useful revenue
Old 12-26-2003, 05:36 PM
C2MED
Instructor

Helen,
It sounds like you and you hubby are what we need in the PCGB, if I join the club again would I be able to vote?
Old 12-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Helen
Racer

every full member has the right to vote.

BTW you don't have to own a Porsche to become a member of the PCGB. you can become a associate member. the cost is however the same.

I don't think we need a split level of membership (that could/would be a adminastration nightmare)what i feel the club needs is better offers and discounts for all members not just on things for your car, but also travel,Hotels,jewelry,DIY.....you name it, the PCGB is a large club and we should be able to negotiate discounts, one off offers and deals for our members on all sorts of things. THIS WILL HAPPEN just give me time.

the club is slowly waking up the the fact that there is a demand for "family" events. as well as Motor sport and track days. the traditinal concours is now a thing of the past.

not too sure that we see too much of the "posh" black tie/five star hotel type do's anymore. well maybe one or two a year, but they are always very well attended so the demand must be there.
we also do a camping package to Le Mans 24 hour race, week-ends away at good hotels for approx £50 DBB.per person per night.
Track days from £25 per car. skittle nights with food from £5. and summer BBQ's FREE.

what else would you like to See?????
Old 01-02-2004, 12:58 PM
miggs
AutoX

have to say the pcgb forum was a good laugh then it went t**s up if you didnt mention porsche your post would be deleted

Went to a local meet well never never again bunch of snooty blokes just lookin down on us just cause we had old porsches ie 1969 well i left the pcgb and will never return

First impressions and all that
Old 01-02-2004, 01:10 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by miggs
have to say the pcgb forum was a good laugh then it went t**s up if you didnt mention porsche your post would be deleted

Went to a local meet well never never again bunch of snooty blokes just lookin down on us just cause we had old porsches ie 1969 well i left the pcgb and will never return

First impressions and all that
Exactly my impression too. When are the old codgers going to wake up to the fact that they are alienating a large part of the Porsche enthusiasts worldwide.

Glad to hear the fourums went t**ts up perhaps now someone will realise there are too few PCGB members to support any forum and it needs to be opened up to everyone on the net to stand any chance at all
Some of the sucessful forums I frequent have less than 20 % of there membership post !
Old 01-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Helen
Racer

Miggs,

hope my reginal meeting don't come across as eletist. i do try to welcome all new faces to the meetings.(and all Porsches)

we have a real mix of cars turning up at the meetings. especally during the summer months.when we spend alot of time in the car park talking, I don't know what regional meeting you went along to?

being a Boxster owner myself i have found the opposit from you in as much as most of the club officials seem to own the Classic cars and are quite snooty about Boxster,996 and cayennes.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:08 PM
UKKid35
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Perhaps the poll would have showed more if it had included "No - lapsed"

The magazine certainly looks great, but as Martin has already pointed out there's very little for 928 owners.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Surj,
Looks like your article got published.
Interesting read.

Tito.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah - so I see; I'll have to rejoin now I suppose!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Club Great Britain