44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Club Great Britain

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a member too. Thought it worth joining as this is my first year of Porsche ownership and all knowledge is useful; but so far I have learned a lot more from Rennlist!

Haven't attended any meetings yet. Anyone been to/ goes to the London or Surrey monthly meets ?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:34 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Christer - who are you insured with? £570 seems very reasonable. Is the mileage restricted?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Rob,
I get my insurance from Performance Marque in Birmingham for £465 a year for 5000 miles. My impeccable driving record and sheer good luck at not having been caught in Wales have a small part to play though.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:27 PM
James_J
Advanced

I am in my first year of membership of the PCGB, but I'm not sure if I'll renew.

Reasons?

The 993 area seems virtually dead; the club seems to be too cliquey; not enough technical discussion - usually very boring chat; no apparant discounts to be had; too politically correct, especially when discussing performance of our cars...I could add more but that's enough.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:20 PM
C2MED
Instructor

I feel the same, somehow the 993 seems to be in a no-man's land. Too new to be driven by many pure enthusiasts, yet too old/cheap to be owned by "I drive a Porsche so you know I'm rich" group.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:46 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am a member.
But to be honest I derive little use from this.
The 993 bit of the PP is always empty - pittiful and its been like that for years - they should get someone who is actually going to bother doing something for the 993 register. The fact they let this persist for the last 4-5 years that I have been watching makes me think they do not care.

Others have commented that they like the PP - I think it has improved but is still not up to scratch - for one of the largest owners clubs in the world it. It has the feel of a magazine produced by a large school. Content 3/10, pics 4/10. It is mostly ads.

The meets seem elitist and I dont feel included - but I guess this is my fault for not turning up and joining in - but they dont seem to be my kind of person.

When I last logged in to forums they were in their infancy so I cannot comment on how they are now.

The best bit for me is the shiny plastic card - when I open my wallet to pay for something it reminds me that I need to go for a drive when I get home. But is this really worth the membership fee?

Apparently so as I continue to shell out.

Tito.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:55 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't belong to the PCGB.
My local meet night clashes with another club I belong to, and the couple of times I made the effort it was obvious that most present were of the "look at me and what I've got" variety, rather than true car enthusiasts.

That's why I've been on the rennlist for the last 4 years.

Cheers,
John.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Burnham
Instructor

Yep, my sentiments exactly John...I got as far as completing the PCGB application when I got my car 18 months ago but its still in the glovebox.

Although I dont get a chance to check these forums as often as I would like, between Rennlist and p-Car what more could you need.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:32 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944 (86 NA)

Hi all
good to see there is a UK contingent alive and well.

When I first got my 944 in 96 I joined the club because I thought it would be useful for support, technical help, events etc but after 2 years I quit.

The magazine, splendid as it was, never ever seemed to have any articles about 944s just the, then new Boxter. There was no 944 register and no one seemed the slightest bit interested in the 944.

I am about to restore my 944 to its former glory ( something I'll probably regret) and had considered rejoining but I doubt that things have changed much.

I checked out their web site the other day and found that unless you joined and paid the princley sum of £50.00 you coulnd't even get access to READ the posts on the forum. This really is too much. The posts should belong to the community not the PGBC!

Frankly I don't wish to belong to any club so mean and stingey that it can resort to extortion in order to increase membership

ps Re insurance I was surprised to get FComp cover with tescoes ( no don't laugh) for a mere £296.00! with 10,000 miles year full nc protection and a courtesy car not bad I thought
Old 11-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Poon
Instructor

I am a member, PP is good for classifieds and thats it.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:08 AM
Helen
Racer

Hi im the PCGB regional organisor for the east midlands, and i know that things are changing with in the PCGB, you can expect to start seeing bettter members offers and discounts (not just on car stuff) as well as better/bigger events.

tell us what it is you want other wise we have to guess.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:11 AM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on my second Porsche, a 968, and decided to join the PCGB. I have long been a member of other car and bike clubs, from small local ones to ther big national ones like the BMW Club (bikes), so I fully expected to get all the usual club politics etc.

Very disappointed with the PCGB forum, not much traffic, and no slot for 968's. I moaned and complained, but then decided that I would be far better doing something about it, so I have volunteered to moderate a forum for 968 owners. Like helen, I believe that you get out what you put in. (PS ... Helen, please tell me how best to cause a hooplah!)

I am lucky as I live in Scotland, where the atmosphere is different. We Scots won't stand for all that Pooterish, snobbish nonsense, and on my first couple of club events I have felt welcomed and involved. I don't doubt that this is sadly not the same in certain other regions, but Hell, you can't all be lucky enough to live up here!

John H
Old 11-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Helen
Racer

Hi John,
im not sure im the right person to ask about this. when I took on the role of regional organisor i said my goal was to shack up the PCGB, change it rather stuffy/aloof image and bring it kicking and screaming into the computor age.
in doing so i have made many friends but also more than a few enemies.(some very senior members)

my membership was due for renewal on the 1st Oct and i anounced i would not be renewing, i recieved many e-mails/phone calls encouraging me to stay on and keep fighting. (some from very senior members)and my husband refused to cancel our standing order (and also sex untill i agreed to resume my RO role)so i relented and have resumed the fight.

im up in scotland at the glasgow meeting on the 4/11/03 why not come and say hi,
Old 11-12-2003, 11:06 AM
martin D
Racer

I you think PCGB ignors you with your cars you should try it with a 928. I joined because I did not know about the other P car club in the UK. I left after my first year & joined TIPEC which was originally formed by fed-up PCGB water cooled owners. It still seems that the PCGB is the same. A cliquey 911 club.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Helen
Racer

im getting quite a collection of 944 owners also a few 968's. in my region of the PCGB.

as i've said before if you wan't to see more articals in the PP about your cars then get your pens and camaras out and send us some interesting stuff to print.
you can't expect stephen mummery (the editor) to do it all himself.

Quick Reply: Porsche Club Great Britain