Notices

Has anyone imported their p-car into the UK?

Old 08-14-2006, 07:16 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone imported their p-car into the UK?

I'm looking to bring in my 911 for a couple years (coming to the UK for my masters). Has anyone done it before or have heard of anyone doing it? Just wondering if it will be a major headache or not...
Old 08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there another UK board which is more active? Doesn't seem like many people are on here...
Old 08-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Because your car wasn't built to UK or even European specs you'll need to go through what's called SVA (Single Vehicle Approval). The car should pass easily after you ensure the lights meet UK regulations. That means the headlamps flair up to the left and not the right and you need at least one rear fog lamp. Everything else should be fine.

Have a look at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm
and http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvow...ngvehicles.htm

Very minor issue: the FM section of your stereo may not work; UK staions are tuned to even fractional increments (i.e. 98.0, 98.2, etc) whereas US stations are on odd increments.

UK streets and roads are narrower than what you're used to; that will take some adjustment in car that feels as wide as a 911.

Be aware that insurance for a driver new to the UK and in a LHD car can be very expensive. You'll also need a secure place to park it or the rate will take another hit.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No offense but for as volume 996 it probably won't be worth the effort. I considered taking my old car (renovated 3.2 sport) across to the US and rapidly went off the idea due to costs of converting bits, etc (plus mine ran on leaded fuel). If you are studying in London you probably won't want to have a decent car (or any sort of car fro that matter). Having said that you live in NYC and I know hardly anyone who feels like they need to run a car there either... ;-) It would be one more thing to worry about. At least over here the insurers would give you credit for any years no claims discount that you have accrued whereas when I went to Sates I was treated as though I had no no-claims which was a pain in the ****!

Cheers,

David
Old 08-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

One more thing to consider: almost all UK insurers will require a recent Porsche to have an alarm and immobiliser that have been approved by a non-profit UK accrediting body called Thatcham (see http://www.thatcham.org). Your US spec 911's alarm system won't be accredited (even though it may be virtually the same as the UK version bar the operating frequency) and you might well have to get a second system installed.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Phelix,

Would they not accept a "Porsche installed alarm and immobiliser"? Most of the insurers I have dealt with seemed to accept this?

Cheers,

David
Old 08-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Caveman
Hi Phelix,

Would they not accept a "Porsche installed alarm and immobiliser"? Most of the insurers I have dealt with seemed to accept this?

Cheers,

David
Thatcham approved systems are generally required for the newer cars (996/986) but the factory system for non-UK spec cars won't have been Thatcham approved. It's pedantic but insurers generally are about those sorts of things.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Classic! Poster complains about not getting an answer within 8 hours and then doesn't say another word after 10 days.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Still no response! I guess we've put him off the idea?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone imported their p-car into the UK?