Notices

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 AM
EdfromTampa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting

Seems that my move to Florida has resulted in the need to tint my Boxster's windows.

I'm looking at ceramic films, so as not to interfere with my cell phone and GPS, and so far the local tint stores have suggested Global Window Films CDP and Llumar CTX. The specs on the Global are a bit better and it costs less, $189 for the two side and the rear window; the LLumar is $215. I'm sure if I go to a third store I'd get another recommendation - they each seem to have a "prime" vendor.

Any recommendations as to which manufacturer to choose, or is there another I should look into?

Also, any recommendations for a dealer in the North Tampa area?

TIA,

Ed
Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM
BufordTJustice
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Llumar ceramic on my 2013 Altima and was very pleased. Zero effect on cell or data signals, really blocked the heat well. I went legal on all windows and clear 3M on the windshield. The armor all on the dash lasted FOREVER after the clear windshield film.

Car cooled down significantly faster as well. I'm in Orlando area and went to Darth Shader Tints (Owner/sole proprietor is Sharon; great gal). She specializes in high end cars (BMW 7 series, Audi R8s, Bentleys, Porsches, Vettes, and true classic cars) and uses great care during installs. She is not the fastest or cheapest by a long shot, but she uses a precision plotter to cut all her pieces and her work is just immaculate.

I traded that Altima in at Carmax and they thought the tint was factory.

Anyways, Sharon specializes in Ceramic tints and typically fits Llumar, but can source whatever you would prefer. She has a Facebook page; search for "Darth Shader Tint" if you're interested.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have ceramic on my 997 (got it after the sand beige carpets began fading to off-white, had to redye them), and also our M-B E-Class. They were done by different installers, and I don't know what brands they are but both work well. I got the lightest/clear as I merely wanted the UV blocking and not to decrease night vision. All the installers said it was the same UV blocking regardless of the level of tint. I did not do the windshields.

I have not noticed any issues with cellphone or GPS, however one thing the ceramic does is make other cars' windows look psychedellic/rainbow-ish through polarized sunglasses, which I found very annoying. Got myself some non-polarized (Porsche design) shades.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting