Notices

Tampa Dealership - Thoughts / Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 11:33 AM
GT3 Alex
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tampa Dealership - Thoughts / Experience?

Hi all - first post for a hopeful first time Porsche buyer. I'm looking to purchase a 992 GTS and have been talking with a few dealers to get my name on the list. Surprisingly, every dealer has it's own process. I'm pretty familiar with the two dealers close to where, but am not familiar with Porsche of Tampa (Reeves). Has anyone here purchased a car from them? If so, would greatly appreciate your perspective on:

1) How would you rate the dealership overall?
2) What confidence would you have on this dealer getting allocations for a 992 GTS? I imagine they ought to have no problems. We're not talking GT cars and the dealer has been around for a very long time (>40 yrs). That said, judging by their inventory (and this is a crude method), they seem to be on the smaller side of dealerships in Florida.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I greatly prefer Reeves over the others… I’ve bought 5 from Bert Smith and last 2 especially the last was not a good experience. I’ve bought 4 from Reeves and have had good experiences. I highly high,y suggest you deal with Liam at Reeves . He’s great to deal with.
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrums:
Pags1 (07-31-2023), TechDude99 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 04:45 PM
TechDude99
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lived in the area for 30 years and agree that Reeves is a lot better than Bert Smith.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:42 PM
Scooter911
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a horrible experience with the service manager at Bert Smith with my M3. After three tries and telling them exactly which part to replace, I took my car to Reeves, gave them the whole story, and they replaced the part I knew was failing and I never had another problem with my car.
The following users liked this post:
TechDude99 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 07:05 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

We bought our '19 Cayenne base new from Reeves. Overall a very positive experience.

I also had my 981S and 991.2 serviced there (tires, brakes, spark plugs) and had no issues. They honored my PCA membership by offering the discount, and did not wash the car when I requested them not to. Service appointments are well done, pricing seemed fair and not out of what expected from a dealership. They matched tire rack prices on both sets of tires (Michelin PS4S each time).

I think their waiting area is woefully inadequate. Compared to the waiting area that my wife's Lexus dealer has, it is like from the stone age. Small, hard seats, blaring TV, few charging ports, quick-brew coffee out of paper cups, stale high-carb food in plastic wrap; it's like being in a Pep Boys tire shop.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:55 AM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 101 Posts

Do you guys have any recommendations on trustworthy indy shop? I know there is "porsche only" shop there but they don't excite me as the dealings I had previously with those shops in West Palm Beach and Chicago were subpar and they were just using that as excuse to charge you more for work. Just my personal experience.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:15 PM
USMMA
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1225
Do you guys have any recommendations on trustworthy indy shop? I know there is "porsche only" shop there but they don't excite me as the dealings I had previously with those shops in West Palm Beach and Chicago were subpar and they were just using that as excuse to charge you more for work. Just my personal experience.
As a relatively new P-car owner I have not used any Indie’s in Tampa yet, but a good friend uses Vortex for his 997.1 GT3 and speaks very highly of them

https://www.vortexmotorsport.com

depending on what you are having done I’ve seen folks on RennList speak about Pedro’s garage too

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/Technolab.html

Old 09-06-2021, 12:58 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by USMMA
As a relatively new P-car owner I have not used any Indie’s in Tampa yet, but a good friend uses Vortex for his 997.1 GT3 and speaks very highly of them

https://www.vortexmotorsport.com

depending on what you are having done I’ve seen folks on RennList speak about Pedro’s garage too

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/Technolab.html
Thanks. I am aware of P only Vortex. We ll see how they are. I am very weary of these P only shops as they seem to charge just a hair less than the stealer. It was borderline “why wouldn’t I just go to dealer”. Their hourly rates seem ok but then the project cost came in just below stealer. But I’ll check them out.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:16 PM
USMMA
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1225
Thanks. I am aware of P only Vortex. We ll see how they are. I am very weary of these P only shops as they seem to charge just a hair less than the stealer. It was borderline “why wouldn’t I just go to dealer”. Their hourly rates seem ok but then the project cost came in just below stealer. But I’ll check them out.
I’ve got a friend who has used European Exotic Center for his Ferrari F430, they sell quite a few 911’s so I’m guessing their shop should be able
to work on them too? Post back and let us know how you make out Vortex. I’d be curious to hear.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:24 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by USMMA
I’ve got a friend who has used European Exotic Center for his Ferrari F430, they sell quite a few 911’s so I’m guessing their shop should be able
to work on them too? Post back and let us know how you make out Vortex. I’d be curious to hear.
It will be a while since I just had bunch of maintenance done but if I do, will do. I try to stay away from shops that advertise working on bentleys, GT3, etc...I don't need all that.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:08 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TechDude99
Lived in the area for 30 years and agree that Reeves is a lot better than Bert Smith.
I agree.

FYI: SA there told me that Reeves has been sold...no other information.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:29 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
I agree.

FYI: SA there told me that Reeves has been sold...no other information.
That means its no longer good. Any business that has been sold has never been better. "Oh I am so happy these guys bought out the previous owners" said no one ever!
Old 10-01-2021, 06:04 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Just got the email (the important part):

Mrs. Reeves recently announced her decision to retire after more than four decades of hard work and leadership excellence. Over the last several months, she has worked diligently to select the best company to acquire our business.

The Morgan Auto Group was the clear choice to continue our legacy. A locally owned and operated family business founded in 2004 with the purchase of Precision Toyota. The Morgan Auto Group has since grown to 47 retail locations, representing 27 different brands.

We know the Morgan Auto Group will sustain the reputation and standing that we have built over the past 50 years. They will continue our commitment to perfection, offering you the highest levels of guest services in the automotive industry.

The Morgan Auto Group will take the reins this coming Monday, October 4th. The Reeves Team that has served you, our valued customer, will be here to continue to deliver the service that you are accustomed to. Customers will have the ability to contact their trusted advisors through all current existing channels.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:06 AM
TechDude99
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Reeves had a reputation for putting loyal new car customers at the top of the list for their GT car allocation and never charged over MSRP.

A friend that was led to believe he would be given a GT4 allocation was informed that practice has ended with the new owners.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:09 AM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechDude99
Reeves had a reputation for putting loyal new car customers at the top of the list for their GT car allocation and never charged over MSRP.

A friend that was led to believe he would be given a GT4 allocation was informed that practice has ended with the new owners.
The Morgan Auto Group...buying up everything in my area.

Quick Reply: Tampa Dealership - Thoughts / Experience?