Notices

Replying to old for sale ads...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 AM
986boxster1998
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If an ad exists it's reasonable for someone shopping around to ask if the vehicle is still for sale. Its annoying to see old threads to popup, but it also can't be fun for a prospective to be told something thats listed for sale has been sold long ago; thats if they even get a response. Who knows if they could find a vehicle they might become more active on the forum as well. I totally agree people should be more careful looking through the posts so they don't ask questions that have already been answered. Could all ads be archived after a certain time period?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
We need John D back...
Careful what you wish for..

I'm "thinking out loud" here - and I have zero idea if this can be accomplished in the PHP code... BUT...

I wonder if the OP had access to a button or checkbox that, once clicked/checked would do two things:

1) Insert the word SOLD - into the title header....
2) Close the thread...

Is that sort of what you had in mind?? Are there other options that could be considered, or that you've seen on other sites that might work?

Like I said - just thinking out loud here...

John D.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
John D.
Banned

As well - once we get some ideas going - I'm going to move this thread to another forum, as I don't want to clutter up the Marketplace - BUT - for now?

Let's leave it here as it is totally pertinent to this section of the forum.. Sound OK?

Best to all,

John D.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
Careful what you wish for..

I'm "thinking out loud" here - and I have zero idea if this can be accomplished in the PHP code... BUT...

I wonder if the OP had access to a button or checkbox that, once clicked/checked would do two things:

1) Insert the word SOLD - into the title header....
2) Close the thread...

Is that sort of what you had in mind?? Are there other options that could be considered, or that you've seen on other sites that might work?

Like I said - just thinking out loud here...

John D.
I think that is the kind of functionality that we'd like, or make the ad's (because thats what they are) expire in 30 days from the original post date, the original poster can renew the ad if it expires. Also, other sites have minimum post counts so you cannot post an ad unless you have say 50 posts and have been a paid member for maybe 3 months. This should be a privilege that is earned not just handed out to anyone and everyone... and the PAID membership used to be a near necessity unless you'd get hammered by the others on the board, now everyone is just so overly excited to MAYBE be able to buy something that they've all become SHARKS. And the whole dealer/ flipper thing is a whole other paragraph...
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM
John D.
Banned

Hmmm - some excellent ideas... The auto-close thread after "N" number of days may indeed be easier to program in - and as well, please remember that the software that used to reside on my servers next to my desk are 3000 miles away now, so, I don't have direct access to the code any longer..?

At the same time - interesting idea about reserving the right to sell for those Members who have a bit of "traction" and history on the site... You have the same opinion I do - we see someone with a "shiny new" Member Title, and their first post is something for sale...

The dealer & flipper thing..? Where is that "shaking my head" icon I forgot to program into this site..

Let's keep the comments coming, OK??

As always, Sir...

My thanks!

John D.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 AM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

A N for .. "New threads only" and O for "old threads only" used as a search feature listed above the "keyword:" search field. I suppose once the OLD post has expired based on a 30 days time frame, certain fields can be ghosted preventing someone from wasting time on inactive threads. If I were a serious seller, I would want to re-activated my post.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
John D.
Banned

You've got a great point about a "seller" being able to "re-activate" their listing if if goes past a certain number of days... As for the search function - yes, that should be able to be modified to include either the time stamp of the original post in the for sale thread - or, even the "last post" time stamp in that thread..?

But - in fact, we sort of already have that - it's just not "easily discoverable", and therefore not used.. To see what I mean - at the top right of this forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/marketplace/cars/search/

and top right - click on Search this forum -> Advanced Search... For example, you can search for any ads for 993s posted in the last month by entering "993"
Find Posts from "A Month Ago" and Newer
Sort Results by "Thread Start Date"....

Not exactly "easy" or "intuitive" - BUT - as the search code already supports that function, it should be easy to code those parameters into the "seach" function on the left..??

Again - I'm just "thinking out loud"..

My thanks!

- John D.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 AM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

We are a function of path of least resistance, go figure.
and top right - "click on Search this forum".. you mean thread... see, path of least resistance. We want everything at out finger tips. The problem with this function, is, it leads us off the post.. off the path and hence we are required to click a few times before immediate gratification.. we want one click stop .. thinking out loud with you
Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
John D.
Banned

Yep - exactly ..!!!

Many thanks again!

John
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Wink

Yep - exactly ..!!!

Many thanks again!

John
many welcomes Francesca
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi folks,

I just moved this thread into the "Rennlist Help & Test Forum"....

OK - as an update.... After a long conversation with IB today (Hi Nolan!) - we are going to be moving ahead with several site updates and changes - and the Classifieds are now TOP priority... Over the next several days/weeks - we'll be reviewing some code and trying some different "features" to make our Classifieds "Best of Breed". Period... For that, please remember - this will be an "evolution" of code, so - if we roll something out - please give it a try and give me/us feedback, OK??

Again - my sincerest thanks for your patience and support!

- John D.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by OpieT
I'm a stickler for this topic as well...however, I have tried to update my titles w/ "SOLD" via the edit function and they don't take. Only the body of the message updates...am I doing something wrong? Hate to be one of the a-holes that doesn't 'get it'. Mike.
Mike,

I checked the forum permission and Members can edit and even delete their posts. So once a car is sold, removing the post is possible to avoid clutter.

Best,
Old 02-27-2014, 03:48 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still getting hits on my ad (shows up in my smugmug account view diagnostics).

I did change the title of my ad to sold but it doesn't show up in the forum path.

It is useful to keep old ads up as a way to track prices etc.

Jim
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Hi folks,

I just moved this thread into the "Rennlist Help & Test Forum"....

OK - as an update.... After a long conversation with IB today (Hi Nolan!) - we are going to be moving ahead with several site updates and changes - and the Classifieds are now TOP priority... Over the next several days/weeks - we'll be reviewing some code and trying some different "features" to make our Classifieds "Best of Breed". Period... For that, please remember - this will be an "evolution" of code, so - if we roll something out - please give it a try and give me/us feedback, OK??

Again - my sincerest thanks for your patience and support!

- John D.
Very cool! thanks again.

Also... is there a way to add modern Porsche-centric choices like PDK, Sat radio etc?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

And another one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-new-post.html

Quick Reply: Replying to old for sale ads...