Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1066. You may not vote on this poll

New forums

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New forums

Recently we have actively solicited the feedback of a few users and amongst their suggestions they came up with were the creation of the following 2 forums
  • Group-Buy forum
    This would be a forum whereby users could get together and actively solicit interst from other Rennlisters to arrange group purchase of products of that they have no commercial interest or related commercial interest in (with the exception of approved Rennlist Vendors who could do this for products they may carry)
  • Trader Feedback forum
    This would be a forum to list your experiences with either Rennlist members or Vendors be it good, bad or indifferent. We decided that this approach would be more useful than an "ebay" style feedback. The forum would be actively moderated to ensure that where negative feedback is being left only 2 parties involved, the person leaving the feedback, and the recipent of the feedback.

Give us your thoughts on the Poll!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 AM
6mil928
Race Car

Location: No where Oklahoma AKA "The Dust Bowl" In The Arm pit Of Hell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I would like to see is an upgrade to the server that hosts this site. The current one regularly lags and is very frustrating far too often.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

What kind of pie?

Silly.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Black993
Drifting

Group buys work fine as they are. They need to be in their respectable child forums which are relevant to the owners specific model. Otherwise it will be a big mess of all models and years, and another forum section that I will not read due to clutter. The mods should sticky it at the top of the forum for a specific time frame.

There are plenty of feedback systems for vBulletin, no need to have a specific forum for this. Just something to slow the search engine down again. The name also suggests its for a Wanting to Trade type deal, not all sales that are initiated through RL.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

What kinda pie you got?!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 AM
hernanca

Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 153 Posts

I voted no to both, and was afraid to ask for the pie..

We seem to organize group buys ourselves pretty well. Not sure what benefit a separate forum for it would have?

The e-bay style feedback seems to work fine for e-bay. Did some of the polled new users suggest this style feedback as well?

My 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black993
Group buys work fine as they are. They need to be in their respectable child forums which are relevant to the owners specific model. Otherwise it will be a big mess of all models and years, and another forum section that I will not read due to clutter. The mods should sticky it at the top of the forum for a specific time frame.

There are plenty of feedback systems for vBulletin, no need to have a specific forum for this. Just something to slow the search engine down again. The name also suggests its for a Wanting to Trade type deal, not all sales that are initiated through RL.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

What kinda pie you got?!
I vote with this guy. Unfortunately, it took about 45 seconds for the dang Reply page to load.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in for the group pie buy.

I've only sold/bought/traded a few items in the 993 forum and it worked OK. Perhaps it would be good to isolate this stuff in another group but I don't mind leaving it like it is. I think I'd prefer 'as is.'

chuck

when does the pie arrive? Pay by PiePal?

chuck
Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Why oh why do those trader feedbacks mostly end up in crapfests with plenty of bashing and friends riding to somone's reputation rescue.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 AM
6mil928
Race Car

Location: No where Oklahoma AKA "The Dust Bowl" In The Arm pit Of Hell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The server is lagging again tonight.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 AM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Originally Posted by 6mil928
What I would like to see is an upgrade to the server that hosts this site. The current one regularly lags and is very frustrating far too often.
Unfortunately that isn't our server (unless it is a database error).
We have noticed that certain areas of the country are effected by network lags at interchanging stations (and something that is for the most part entirely out of our control). Our servers are located in Los Angeles, and if between Los Angeles there is a a routing point that bottlenecks the speed it will affect it (its not necessarily based on distance).

I don't have the capacity to load this page from Oklahoma as we don't have a service provider there that we have an agreement with, but I chose a couple of locations that are reasonably close (and some that aren't so close) so you can see the differences in page load time.

Montreal, Canada - Peer 20.594
San Diego, CA - AT&T 4.734
Los Angeles, CA - Verizon 6.407
Kansas City, MO - Global Crossing 14.875
Dallas, TX - Verizon 32.125

These results are extremely abnormally high, as I loaded this very page utilizing the system, and someone has a 1.8Mb animated gif in their sig
I think I can count the times on one hand when it takes a normal user on a normal page over 4s in Los Angeles (unless it is filled with a large file such as the gif I mentioned) or anywhere else on the west coast for that matter.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO keep it simple -- leave it alone
Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Nicholbry
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with most these guys....Rennlist should not get into formalizing/commercializing such an experience. I understand the point and appreciate the semi-protection mechanism for your members, but us guys prefer a casual/word-of-mouth buying experience here. I see no reason to change a good thing. :-)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I just wonder how we are all going to get our pie?

Otherwise, I like it that the group buys are usually in the 964 forum, and sort of spontaneous.

But thanks for asking. And now about that pie?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A problem with Group Buys is that they can be missed as they move to Page 2 or 3 although still "open" only to return to Page 1 when the "We've started shipping" Reply gets posted.

So, I would like to see a way to make group buys stay more visible - while open - would be nice. Keeping them in the relevant model forum would be nice too AND ALSO a way to multiply-cross-post-link for ones that are model-independent (such as the recent SRP pedal offer eg. 964-993-997).

"Sticky" could work, or a new label/tag that is Sticky named Group-Buy, along with the ability of the OP to cross-post to make it visible across multiple forums.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Who knew ezinternet was a member of rennlist? I always thought ezinternet was a myth perped by some guy in Portland.