Notices

Feedback on the new classifieds

Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 515 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm not sure I like the ability to comment. Classifieds are classifieds, they should be an opportunity for someone to sell their stuff, not create a full discussion thread about it. This is Rennlist, where threads that go off topic and people flame others just for fun is the norm. I for one will not post things if people can comment to the world their opinions.

I am completely comfortable with the stuff I sell, either from my company or personally, but sometimes that doesnt' matter. Pelican Parts classifieds actually STOPPED allowing posts on their ads.

Example: I offered for sale a set of replica fuchs. It said replica right in the ad. The guy bought them, I shipped them, and when he got them, he realized he bought replicas and wanted real Fuchs. Well, he went to the "listing" and commented that "much to his horror, they were fakes". Unfortunately, I was away on vacation for a week with no internet access, so when i got back there were 5 pages of people ripping me apart for lying (again, they were described in the ad) and not immediately replying and refunding his money.

I think comments are a bad idea...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Sorry!I have done that for everyone, unfortunately we can't do it on an individual basis.
Adrian, I'm confused...I don't see the icon for collapsing the subforum anywhere.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Woah, I didn't realize you could comment. Same thoughts - I think that's a bad idea and I can't stand right now how so many people comment on ads in the "For Sale" area. Some people trash the pricing, the condition, etc. Why can't it be a "locked" thread so the poster can edit it, but the general viewer can only hit a tab to email / pm the owner?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Chazz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turning classified ads into a forum doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
Woah, I didn't realize you could comment. Same thoughts - I think that's a bad idea and I can't stand right now how so many people comment on ads in the "For Sale" area. Some people trash the pricing, the condition, etc. Why can't it be a "locked" thread so the poster can edit it, but the general viewer can only hit a tab to email / pm the owner?
The person that posted the ad can delete the comments made on their advert.

I can turn it off (the ability to make comments), I only left it on because if people ask legitimate questions, it can save getting 10PM's about it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Adrian,

Often times change is needed and is good. In more cases, familiarity is best. In this case, I didn't personally mind the way classifieds worked. I would get contact on items I have for sale through the FS forum as well as from Classifieds. If it were up to me I'd leave well enough alone. That being said, I'd prefer something more "like" what we have - meaning the OP lists something for sale and if people want to ask / comment, they do it in private. If the OP wants to clarify something, s/he can edit or add.

One question - I assume the FS area will remain, so will this system take your new FS thread in a forum and automatically copy it or have it accessed via the For Sale area? One problem I've had is that in order to get coverage here at RL, everyone has to manually post to both Classifieds and FS.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 52 Posts

Adrian,

We all know Rennlist is not eBay so features of this section will be limited but I would be willing to kick the tires and see how it works.

+1 - Prohibit comments except from the seller

What bugs me about the old style of the For Sale thread is possibly having to read a number of posts to determine if an item is still available or sold especially if the seller has not updated the title. In the case of a seller selling multiple items in a single ad its still a PITA if the ad is not updated. A global status option of the item (or ad) would be great such as Available, Sale Pending or Sold.

Not sure if its just me but I 'm seeing red X's for avatars and emoticons in the listings.

Last Post, Threads, Posts columns not updating even though there are a few sample ads with comments in various sections.

Buyt It Now feature - This may not be a practical option. Problem with this option is shipping charges vary widely based on the buyer/seller locations and shipping options so buy it now may have too many variables to work effectively. Also in the case of multiple items for sale this option would require multiple ads instead of the usual single ad for multiple items.

"Allow Users to Buy your Ad via Paypal Immediately?" - Users are not buying the "Ad" they are buying an item or service. Maybe phrase this as "Use Buy It Now Option via PayPal?" and make sure it works.

What happens to expired ads? Do they vanish? Are there email alerts when the ad(s) expires? Can we browse the sold/expired ads for historical pricing information?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by 911URGE; 02-19-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

This brings up some great points. Here's another - I sense that the more you make it like an eBay site (buy it now, shipping charges, etc.), the more you open RL up for claims from irate buyers. Right now it's just a BB where people can post whatever for sale and it's totally between buyer and seller - and the Buyer knows s/he has to Beware. You start to have bidding options, buy-it-now, shipping, payment options, etc. the more possibility of problems for the site.

PLEASE, don't turn this into something where there are paid for optional features...

In this overly complex world, I like things simple. Give me a simple "classified" sub-group where I can post 997 wheels to 997 readers, let me describe it as best I can, and invite people to PM / email me for questions. I'll manage the content and buying process. When it sells, I can flip a switch and shut down the listing - but I do think it's a service to all to leave the listing up forever to give future buyers and sellers valuable information. Would be nice to have a "what it sold for" field.

Also, I wouldn't separate out parts and cars - way too many "places" to be looking if you have interest in multiple cars and there are multiple cross-overs on what parts fit what cars. For example, I have a set of Narrowbody 997 wheels - so I'd have to post in 997 parts, 997 GT3 parts, and possibly even 997 Turbo parts (with rear spacers). That's a lot of places. Similar with looking at cars for sale - if interested in a 997 of some sort, you'd have to look in way too many locations.

Honestly, I'd think about leaving things well enough alone and let people do some thinking and searching like they are doing now. I think you need to have all cars grouped in one place, all parts in another, etc. To spread car and parts classifieds to every forum is just too far out there.

At the Caymanclub they basically do not allow classifieds in the regular forums. You have Cayman cars and parts, and then other Porsche cars and parts. Not too much searching around to find what you are looking for.

Maybe think about this. Eliminate the "old" classifieds system and modify the "For Sale" thread area. Let that area be: Cars for Sale, Parts for Sale, Merchandise for Sale. If you want, have a "filter" in each where people can quickly and easily search for "1997" to find a car or part for a 993 for example.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The counters on the forum view for:

Last Post Threads Posts

Are all showing "--" no counts are showing.

Also, can you have a visual indicator on the top forum link that shows when a new ad is posted without having to enter the classified section?

I think comments should be allowed - just like you can comment on postings within the For Sale forum now.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i just sold a part and received payment using the automated system.
i'm thrilled with this feature and am looking forward to using more.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V

Last Post Threads Posts

Also, can you have a visual indicator on the top forum link that shows when a new ad is posted without having to enter the classified section?.

No change to this yet.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Adrian,

Often times change is needed and is good. In more cases, familiarity is best. In this case, I didn't personally mind the way classifieds worked. I would get contact on items I have for sale through the FS forum as well as from Classifieds. If it were up to me I'd leave well enough alone. That being said, I'd prefer something more "like" what we have - meaning the OP lists something for sale and if people want to ask / comment, they do it in private. If the OP wants to clarify something, s/he can edit or add.

One question - I assume the FS area will remain, so will this system take your new FS thread in a forum and automatically copy it or have it accessed via the For Sale area? One problem I've had is that in order to get coverage here at RL, everyone has to manually post to both Classifieds and FS.
It will not automatically generate a classifed/thread
Originally Posted by 911URGE
Adrian,

We all know Rennlist is not eBay so features of this section will be limited but I would be willing to kick the tires and see how it works.

+1 - Prohibit comments except from the seller

What bugs me about the old style of the For Sale thread is possibly having to read a number of posts to determine if an item is still available or sold especially if the seller has not updated the title. In the case of a seller selling multiple items in a single ad its still a PITA if the ad is not updated. A global status option of the item (or ad) would be great such as Available, Sale Pending or Sold.

Not sure if its just me but I 'm seeing red X's for avatars and emoticons in the listings.

Last Post, Threads, Posts columns not updating even though there are a few sample ads with comments in various sections.
Those items should be fixed.
Buyt It Now feature - This may not be a practical option. Problem with this option is shipping charges vary widely based on the buyer/seller locations and shipping options so buy it now may have too many variables to work effectively. Also in the case of multiple items for sale this option would require multiple ads instead of the usual single ad for multiple items.
It appears to be working ok.
What happens to expired ads? Do they vanish? Are there email alerts when the ad(s) expires? Can we browse the sold/expired ads for historical pricing information?
It is configurable, you can have unlimited run ads.
Ads that are closed and/or sold are viewable for up to a week.
This brings up some great points. Here's another - I sense that the more you make it like an eBay site (buy it now, shipping charges, etc.), the more you open RL up for claims from irate buyers. Right now it's just a BB where people can post whatever for sale and it's totally between buyer and seller - and the Buyer knows s/he has to Beware. You start to have bidding options, buy-it-now, shipping, payment options, etc. the more possibility of problems for the site.
The marketplace is something that we merely offer as a service.

Also, I wouldn't separate out parts and cars - way too many "places" to be looking if you have interest in multiple cars and there are multiple cross-overs on what parts fit what cars. For example, I have a set of Narrowbody 997 wheels - so I'd have to post in 997 parts, 997 GT3 parts, and possibly even 997 Turbo parts (with rear spacers). That's a lot of places. Similar with looking at cars for sale - if interested in a 997 of some sort, you'd have to look in way too many locations.
All 997 areas are together, there is one specifically for complete cars, and another for parts.

Originally Posted by Randy V

Last Post Threads Posts

Also, can you have a visual indicator on the top forum link that shows when a new ad is posted without having to enter the classified section?

I think comments should be allowed - just like you can comment on postings within the For Sale forum now.
Unfortunately that isn't a fault, thats "a feature", there isn't a way to embed this as a forum.
I have set those up as a forum redirect manually for the ease of users to navigate.
Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
i just sold a part and received payment using the automated system.
i'm thrilled with this feature and am looking forward to using more.
Glad to hear it worked out for you
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I like ads to stick around but be closed for future reference. I like to see the past history of a seller. What the item I am looking at has sold for before.

I could live with a year but 1 week? The seller could skip town before you even expect the shipment to arrive.

RT
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Also looks like people are posting parts for sale in the wrong forum - cars for sale.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
I like ads to stick around but be closed for future reference. I like to see the past history of a seller. What the item I am looking at has sold for before.

I could live with a year but 1 week? The seller could skip town before you even expect the shipment to arrive.

RT
I have extended it to 1 year.
Originally Posted by Ag02M5
Also looks like people are posting parts for sale in the wrong forum - cars for sale.
I changed the navigation of the main marketplace section around a little, hopefully it will make it more transperant as to where to place parts ads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feedback on the new classifieds