Notices

Rennlist SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast40th
TH: Any chance you may auction the hottie on the left side?!?
I can send you some pics of her for $20
Old 10-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sure, where to send money, john d?
Click "membership" at the top right of every page. More than one membership is a great idea (I have two).

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
... How can we help?...
Encourage people to stop posting huge, bandwidth sucking photos in the OT forum might help.

Originally Posted by djantlive
There are ways to improve performance. Eliminating the "New Thread" button would minimize database processing. Minimize pictures and large avatar/pics in signature is another.
Not a great idea as conversation would stagnate here pretty fast if no new topics could be started. Most pictures in signatures are hosted on other sites, not Rennlist, so that change would not help.

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
What about $99.95, or some other fee, to be a 'lifetime member' - - this would be an easy way to raise capital quickly - especially from those that are already members.
Seems like a short-term solution. If someone joins for 6 years at $17.95/year then the site has already got more than the $100 lifetime membership.

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Anyone here has PMed John to see this thread?....
I have pointed it out to him.

Originally Posted by AW
.... All I'm suggesting is a system that let these companies pay for the exposure...
We have that already

Marc
p.s. Opinions expressed here are my own and are not meant to represent the views of John D or Jenn. And no, I am not a lawyer.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:18 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm, I don't know about that -- sounds like pretty good lawyer-speak to me.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A.) I think one solution would be to have a public server with smaller bandwith and one for paying members.

B.) I also dont like the idea of trial period. I think normal posting should stay free.

C.) One thing could be that only paying members could upload pictures. I think seeing the pictures should be available for all, perhaps through different connection as mentioned in A.)
Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> Encourage people to stop posting huge, bandwith sucking photos in the OT forum might help.

Actually, if the pics are hosted somewhere else, there won't be any difference.

> We have that already (sponsorship)

This is not what I'm reffering to. I'm not going to go in a long description here but will be happy to talk/email John directly.

> I disagree. I believe it will result in a more valuable online community because of its very exclusivity. It will become like a PCA club for members only, with the exception that outsiders will still be allowed to peer in and learn valuable useful information for free.

I respectfully disagree. The fact that people are willing to pay for a service doesn't make them experts or value contributors. The exclusive site you describe won't feature many interesting contributions from some people which are not willing to pay and will simply move to other boards.

AW
Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we have collectively identified a problem. My experiences with decisions by committee aren't always good. The moderator needs to raise yearly membership prices and enforce the payment thereof. $25.00 per year is more than reasonable and would facilitate continued viability of this site.
Maybe not the ideal solution..wheres you're idea?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AW
Actually, if the pics are hosted somewhere else, there won't be any difference.
True, if pictures like those in a sig are posted elsewhere they won't make a difference -- most pictures in the OT forum are uploaded to this site though so do affect bandwidth.

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
The moderator needs to raise yearly membership prices and enforce the payment thereof.
OK - send the payments directly to me at my PayPal address... No, really - this is John D's decision.....I'm just a worker bee.

Marc
Old 10-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Cogito
Racer

O.K. I started this Topic because it got to be very frustrating waiting for a page to load, any page. I've learned A LOT here from you good people waiting for my P-car to arrive. I hope a 2 year membership helps in some small way. I just joined.
"Thank you for your Order and Support of Rennlist!!!"
Don Weiser

Last edited by dweiser; 10-18-2005 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-18-2005, 11:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Alright! ... Way to go Don! ... Welcome aboard!

I was convinced just like you after realizing how much I had learned here that helped me select the options I eventually ordered - the info was priceless!

Thanks for helping us all! ...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Encourage people to stop posting huge, bandwidth sucking photos in the OT forum might help.
Here's a suggestion. Since these forums here were intended to be discussion forums (i.e. text intensive) why not ban threads in the OT Forum whose sole purpose is to encourage members to post as many photos as they can, such as the infamous "Girls with Great Butts" thread? I mean, don't get me wrong, I like to see nice shots just like anyone else, but not at the expense of my being able to use Rennlist as a source for useful information. (I seem to recall what a turbo boost Rennlist got after that thread got deleted.)

Or place a limit on the number of attached photos (allocated server space limit) on an off topic thread. Once the allocated space is used up the thread is maxed out and another one needs to be started as #2 in a series (if the interest is still there and if by doing so it will help the bandwidth problem).
Old 10-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Cogito
Racer

Ben, thanks.
Darn, it wouldn't let me go to the Off Topic forum. I'll try later when my membership is updated.
Don
Old 10-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Read this:

Read this!
Old 10-29-2005, 03:49 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I am a relatively recent member, and I really like the variety, pictures, smilies, etc. Changing that would kill what makes the site worthwhile. There are a lot of nonmember posters and frankly we all benefit from them.

That said, Rennlist is now so slow it is not worth it unless you REALLY have nothing to do. This is serious.

We can debate for pages but the folks that run the site need to figure this out and either fix it or propose solutions to the community. In other words, even if we members all agree to pay more, there is no assurance that that is a solution. (BTW, I'm fine with higher member fees.)

I do notice that some of the wait is for downloading ads. The sponsors get an enormous benefit from their association with this community, and the last thing their ads should do is affect the experience.

I could also see the logic in limiting what nonmembers can do other than posting text, but regrettably, and only if pictures, etc. are really the source of the problem.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:31 PM
DHL LMP2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If paying memberships are Rennlist's preference for forum participation, they need to emphasize that when a newbie registers. I was unaware of paid memberships and find it to be an unusual expectation of web forum users.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DHL LMP2
I was unaware of paid memberships and find it to be an unusual expectation of web forum users.

All that hardware and bandwidth JD pays for does not come cheap - if you like it here, a small annual contribution is a small price to pay.

Marc