Notices

Crank Position Sensor (CPS) Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:53 PM
langstonje
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Position Sensor (CPS) Question

Hello all, I am new to the Rennlist Forum. I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster 2.7L. Bought it with 126,000 miles and now has 152,000 with the only repair/replace of the oil/air separator (I did myself) at around 130,000 miles. Noticed recently (about a month ago) that it was taking longer to startup (battery and starter good), and then eventually would just turn over but not crank until around 10 seconds, then it would finally turn over, and then pressing the accelerator, it sounds like it is in limp mode/no acceleration and sometimes popping . This is the troubleshooting that I have done on it. 1. Tested fuel pump with jumper on relay panel (fuel pump came on). 2. Tested Fuel Pump Relay (opened with 12volts). 3. Turned ignition on with relay back in (you can hear the pump cut on for around a second). Came to the conclusion that it could possibly be the Crank Position Sensor. My question is, when you go to purchase a new one at multiple suppliers, the price range is around from $40.00- $300.00. Does anyone know the best place to purchase these sensors that are original makes (Bosch etc.) and not cheap Chinese knock offs? Also I pulled out the CPS and cleaned, and it still had magnetic pickup. I would say that these are solid state, and what could possibly go out on these things? My next troubleshoot option is to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) with the special MAF spray.