Notices

Can we please have the old editor back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:26 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts
Thumbs down Can we please have the old editor back?

The new editor is wildly inconsistent in how it performs. It loses typing, or it buffers a bunch.... and then dumps them, sometimes after moving the cursor...

That and it's just ugly.

Can we have a per-profile setting to be able to use the older style message edit box?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 668 Likes on 462 Posts

hi, I am sorry to hear of your frustrations with the new editor. Can you please give me some more specifics? What operating system and browser are you using? I'm not sure what you mean by it loses typing or it buffers, that hasn't been my experience. It does auto save what you have typed though?

cheers,
robb
Old 11-21-2017, 10:41 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Windows x64, Chrome 62.0.3202.9, 32gb RAM, quad-core CPU. It doesn't happen often enough to be repeatable. I've done work in SQA, so I'm plenty familiar with how to debug/test/report problems.

I've run into this on other websites that try to get too fancy with script-based editors like this.

Much like the CSS theme problems from a few weeks ago, stuff like this smacks of web developers just playing around, trying to justify their hours. STOP.

You push the readers away playing around with junk like this.

If some folks want it, let them have it. But for those of us that don't, give us a default option to change back to a simpler one.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate that you have SQA experience. The thing is, the original editor was designed when 100% of people coming to Rennlist were using desktop computers, (windows) and IE. Today, more than 60% of our visitors are using mobile devices, which is the driving force behind the editor changes. All of that said, we are listening, taking in all the comments and will be making changes based on that in the coming weeks. Thank you for your patience and understanding

If you do find an issue that is reproducible with some regularity, please do post here, or send me a PM and I will have our tech team investigate fully.

cheers,
robb
Old 11-21-2017, 01:52 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Almost all forum software allows for a preference setting for this. Add it, please.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Rob Edwards
Archive Gatekeeper
Rennlist Member

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,232 Posts

All I can add is +1. We spend a lot of effort helping 928 owners with decoding option lists, and editing data pulled from Excel spreadsheets is a real hassle now. Not sure what handle IB has on their demographics but I'll venture that the average age of the folks generating the useful content on the site are 40+, wearing dime-store 'readers', and are typing on a laptop/desktop. Make it easy for your content generators to do our job.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:40 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
The thing is, the original editor was designed when 100% of people coming to Rennlist were using desktop computers, (windows) and IE. Today, more than 60% of our visitors are using mobile devices,
Think about that.

Is it 60% of users use mobile only, or 60% visit Rennlist on mobile devices while sitting at the airport or some other such place just to catch up and don't expect full functionality, mainly because the mobile site hasn't had functionality for so many years.

And why can't you change the editor on whether the user is actually using a mobile device or not. I mean it forces me to use the Mobile site whether I want to or not on my phone, obviously you are checking.

If you want a repeatable bug. On the reply text box the right-click options change. When you first start you get a pretty useless "Back, forward, reload, Save as, Print, cast..." option. Unless you hit enter twice then you get the more normal "undo, redo, cut, copy paste....." menu as you should for a text box.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:02 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry if it comes across as insulting, but that was indeed my intent.

All too often these changes 'for the sake of it' keep coming with justifications that ignore the reality OF THE CONTRIBUTORS.

STOP.

But then I don't want to get into dick-measuring games with statistics. I just want THE OPTION to keep using less annoying editor.

If the "60%" are fine with the added junk, fine, but give those that want to contribute a means to do so that doesn't aggravate them.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:48 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SidViscous
Think about that.

Is it 60% of users use mobile only, or 60% visit Rennlist on mobile devices while sitting at the airport or some other such place just to catch up and don't expect full functionality, mainly because the mobile site hasn't had functionality for so many years.
That's a good point. When I am using my mobile device for anything, it is basically "read-only."

Unless I absolutely have to type something right then and there, I'll just wait until I get to a full sized keyboard later to respond to anything. I have a Bluetooth keyboard built into the case for my Android tablet, but I still prefer to type from a full sized clicky keyboard. So my mobile visits are 99.9% reading.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:20 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

I do try to type some posts in via the phone, typically when I'm sitting in an airport.

Because it's so damn frustrating that it makes the airlines seem better in comparison.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I've been in contact with Robb directly discussing some of the major bugs and 'feature flaws' in the new editor, but I'll post them up here as well...

I use ''source" mode fairly frequently (or it's previous equivalent) fairly frequently when trying to edit tags in more advanced posts, and it is badly broken.

At a minimum make the following changes in source mode: 1) change the display font to be smaller, more in line with the default display font in on-source mode, 2) word wrap so you don’t have a ridiculously long horizontal scroll, and 3) make the text edit box bigger.

I also get a significant delay after hitting reply or advanced reply before the text edit box appears... The majority of the page renders., text, attachments, etc. but the main text entry box often doesn't render for 8-10 seconds. Definitely not a browser/computer/OS performance issue.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

This is odd, check the screenshots of my 'source mode', you can see at least on iOS the text does indeed wrap for me.

For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns.For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns. For example, this is a large string without carriage returns

Last edited by Robb M.; 11-27-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Pasting a link to a photo (or uploading it) now in the editor the photo is showing instead of the code with the image link in-between - this is very annoying, and along with what Robb said above, trying to type up a long "how to" or instructional document...this is very messy.

Copy / pasting text from another website, the new editor tries to copy the source formatting - horrible idea - so now if I copy & paste a headline in 72 font bold, I have to use rennlist code (and the size button is gone) to shrink it down???

Chrome Version 62.0.3202.94 - Windows 7
Old 11-27-2017, 09:42 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Looks like the source mode wrap works properly on Safari, but not on Chrome.

CHROME:

SAFARI:

Old 11-27-2017, 09:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Bad on Firefox as well...

Honestly isn't it just basic QA to test a web product on all of the major platforms with all of the major browsers? Not just cherry-pick and say it works on this particular combo? Or AT LEAST give us the option for the old editor while this alpha releases bugs is worked through?

All three browsers, by the way, have a noticeable delay for the edit screen to render when going into advance edit.

Quick Reply: Can we please have the old editor back?