Notices

8/1 Testing New Infinite Scrolling Theme For Some Users

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 250 Posts

Whatever you guys did today it logged me out. I was able to log in on my chrome book but the login function doesn't work on my laptop using windows 7. ????/
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
... and if it is only $$$ you guys want then you will loose the crew that fuels this forum.
This. And I'm going to fall back on something I posted a few pages back: Why don't you guys spend some time on the code that reminds paying members to pay-up when their subscriptions expire?

Since you are not doing that (and please, objective evidence exists that you are not) should we conclude that IB is no longer interested in serving a community that pays for the service?

Does IB have evidence that a community site cannot survive on users paying for the service?

Or, maybe IB would rather evolve into a company that derives its revenue, not from the community that its services form, but from advertisements and web-use tracking data? A company that treats those that craft the content that creates the enterprise value like resources to be harvested?

I can tell from some of the changes that you seem to be trying to bring a more-consistent cross-platform experience. You may even be trying to migrate from multiple platform-specific hacked-up code bases into something that more resembles a single cross-platform code base.

But, I can also tell that a lot of the changes seem to be designed to make more screen real estate available for ads. Maybe this is an unintended consequence of whatever mash-up of third-party APIs to which you are migrating?

Perhaps some of the 'problems' we report are due to attempting to layer APIs over the old vbulletin code? The recent issues with the 'insane cursor' suggest that.

Who knows?

There's no transparency here. The motives and goals are hidden from us. People complain most bitterly about change when they don't understand the intended goal and how the change will benefit them. Of course, they assume that when the goals of a change process are not transparent to them, that the goal is not to their benefit.

Are we sheep to be fleeced? Or are we members of a community that pay for the service?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
We changed nothing from the previous style other than the version number. We did add the ability to disable infinite scroll and related threads from within your userCP/options page.

You can disable this in your userCP/options page.
You may have changed nothing from NextGen 2 to NextGen 3, but I wasn't using that theme, I was using the "Rennlist" theme. Put it back. I don't need the bar on the bottom of the window, and I don't need the top bar dropping down whenever I scroll up.

Fun fact - at least for me scrolling up is infinite, even though infinite scrolling is turned off.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:16 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I’d like the names of your developers as i will blacklist them and never ever hire or contract them within our organization.

Try a simple use case or user study and give the users what they want. We are paying users of your software platform and you are driving users away. The user experience on here is unintuitive and buggy. Borderline unusable.

You know what the goal of saas is? Subscription renewals.

You know what im doing!?

not renewing.

See ya

Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ib nolan
Any users who were on the older theme without infinite scroll have been opted out automatically on this new style (it's the same style but adds the toggle to remove infinite).
Not what happened to me. In fact just the opposite happened. I suddenly got the infinite scroll when I didn't have it before using the old rennlist theme. And I still can't log on with my windows 7 laptop and only have access thru my chrome book. When I click on login I don't get the drop down boxes for entering my username and password, A disappointing fail from my perspective.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 669 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I can tell from some of the changes that you seem to be trying to bring a more-consistent cross-platform experience. You may even be trying to migrate from multiple platform-specific hacked-up code bases into something that more resembles a single cross-platform code base.
This is by and large the sole reason for any changes that have been experienced here at Rennlist.

But, I can also tell that a lot of the changes seem to be designed to make more screen real estate available for ads. Maybe this is an unintended consequence of whatever mash-up of third-party APIs to which you are migrating?
I am not directly tied into the advertising team, but it's my understanding that we do 'move things around' a fair bit, but we are not increasing the advertising footprint.

Perhaps some of the 'problems' we report are due to attempting to layer APIs over the old vbulletin code? The recent issues with the 'insane cursor' suggest that.
I am not a 'tech' guy, but you are essentially correct. The CK Editor (I think) is open source, and worked great until iOS 11 dropped. We obviously haven't figured out what changed yet.

Who knows?

There's no transparency here. The motives and goals are hidden from us. People complain most bitterly about change when they don't understand the intended goal and how the change will benefit them. Of course, they assume that when the goals of a change process are not transparent to them, that the goal is not to their benefit.

Are we sheep to be fleeced? Or are we members of a community that pay for the service?
you make absolutely sound points that are inarguable. I will do better at communicating the why. I apologize for not doing so sooner.

cheers,
robb
Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Originally Posted by sanyata
Not what happened to me. In fact just the opposite happened. I suddenly got the infinite scroll when I didn't have it before using the old rennlist theme. And I still can't log on with my windows 7 laptop and only have access thru my chrome book. When I click on login I don't get the drop down boxes for entering my username and password, A disappointing fail from my perspective.
Which browser are you using on the win7 machine? I don't have access to a win7 machine, but are you able to try Chrome or Safari?
You can disable infinite scroll and/or related threads from within your userCP now, which means the settings are respected across devices/sessions.
https://rennlist.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions
Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Why do this stupid infinite scroll !!! I haven't seen anyone post the like and and heaps saying they don't. But you still do it ?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Why the fck did you remove classic page option now??? DO NOT WANT TO SCROLL! get it?

Some years ago everything was written on scrolls. Then somebody discovered everything improves by massive margin if scrolls are cut to pages and BOOK with PAGES was born.

Last edited by Voith; 01-17-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Why the fck did you remove classic page option now??? DO NOT WANT TO SCROLL! get it?

Look up two posts.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

@Voith please go here to disable them across all of your devices in one place: https://rennlist.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions
Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you. That's much better.

Sorry for rudeness but I thought you've disabled old version for good.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith

I can't find the "two posts up" reference Worf makes, but I did discover two things that mostly put the interface back to classic for me.

First off, in the user profile section you can turn off infinite scroll with a radio button. After that I told Firefox to reduce the font size one notch and, lo and behold, it looks and seems to act like Classic. Maybe that would work? I also got blindsided by having the Classic skin removed and it just flat out irritated the crap out of me.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Infinite scroll like this ever work on a phone?

Didn't we hear that they were programming for phones because that's all anyone logs onto rennlist with apparently?

Rally as bad as infinite scroll is on a desktop, it's many times worse on a phone.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:46 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Angle grinder with skinlike texture wheel would help greatly on infinite scroll phone.

Quick Reply: 8/1 Testing New Infinite Scrolling Theme For Some Users