8/1 Testing New Infinite Scrolling Theme For Some Users

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:00 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick
Nolan,
No offense, but this place was at its best just before IB bought it. Stop trying to "improve" it until one of you actually comes up with a decent idea.

If you want to fix something, fix the bug that makes the random picture thread show one more page than actually exists.

Patrick
Yeah, that. Or perhaps they could fix the bug that will bring non-stop pop-ups at random times when using the mobile version. Only to be fixed by restarting the phone. This NEVER happens when viewing any other website. That would be nice...
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I prefer the old style. Why the change??
Old 08-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Speedtoys
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 623 Posts

Horrible.

too much wasted space, its more work to get less information out of RL.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:02 PM
soontobered84
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 186 Posts

Not good. What intern did you hire that thought this would be a good idea?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

An apology would be appropriate about now.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Really, Really Bad!

Had to change styles before I could even post on this thread.

Horrible.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:00 PM
IB Nolan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, this is only a test and we knew Rennlist would not hold anything back with regards to comments. There have been more feedback comments posted in this thread than on any of the other four websites we have previously tested.

My apologies for any confusion and if anyone wants back to the old theme but cannot figure it out, please send me a PM and I will get this sorted for you.

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I tried the new view. Don't like it for a couple reasons. 1) The font is too big. 2) The infinite thread slows me down by automatically loading other threads that I didn't click on. I am happy to have the option to reset back to the "old" Rennlist style.
We are going to change the font back to a smaller size. Related threads has seen a ton of negative feedback across all sites and will become an option for logged in users as it is primarily for folks visiting from a Google search.

Originally Posted by worf928
And while we're at it: member websites (rennlist.org) are down. Again.
We will get the members websites back.

Originally Posted by bigs
In addition, with all due respect, I don't find the infinite scroll feature to be an advantage. Pages just seem to present information in a more bite-sized format.

...Plus, everyone knows when you find a particularly delightful lass in the IHI thread, you memorize the page she's on!!!
Pages still exist and the URL changes as you scroll so you can link directly to any page in a thread. Bottom right navigation lets you jump to any specific page so you can keep track of what page a specific photo might be on.

Originally Posted by bigs
I've been toggling back and forth between the two styles. I gotta say, I much prefer the old feature where the "Quick Reply" box was big, very obvious, easily seen at the bottom of the page, and ready to go. No buttons to click, just start typing.

Edit: I just don't see the advantage of needing to click a button to bring up what used to be there by default.
Great point and we will look at how we can make the edit box expand. With the old quick reply, you had to be at the end of the thread. Idea here is that you can start a response at any time and scroll through to reference other posts. We may simply add the Quick Reply back to the end and have the pop-up reply as an option.

Originally Posted by pfbz
PS... Please fix the classified search. And please restore the previous ability to 'hide' the classified search box when you are reading a thread after searching!
A fix is in progress and there is an updated classifieds coming

Originally Posted by squid42
Infinity scrolling also makes it more difficult to save to disk.

And sharing links (few people know how to get the post-specific links).

And you create a royal mess for search engines.
Pages still exist and the URL changes as you scroll so you can link to specific pages or posts like the old style. According to search engines, everything is in the same place and we are only changing how each page loads.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Not a fan. Especially for moderating - things are missing and simple tasks like deleting a posting are now complex instead of simple.

Please leave the option to use the older interface.
Post tools show up in bottom bar as you begin selecting posts. Shoot me a PM if you are missing some moderating items on the test style and we will get this sorted out.

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I was curious what all the crusty feedback was about, so I intentionally set it to the new style. It's unusable.

The screen real estate gets too compressed with the pop-up headers and footers. And when visiting a huge thread, I quickly got lost within it. Then I somehow got teleported to a "related thread" without intentionally clicking on it, and I was further confused about where I had gone.

I get why an "infinite scrolling" feature sounded like an interesting feature to attempt, but as said before, it's way harder to navigate than with distinct pages.

I switched back to the classic view.