Notices

8/1 Testing New Infinite Scrolling Theme For Some Users

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Wow that's bad...

'infinite scroll' aside, wasting so much screen real estate with huge headers and footers makes trying to read long threads virtually impossible.

Less is more. And there are so many things that really need fixing, like a classified search that actually works and the ability to remove the classified search box as possible before your last 'great update'. It boggles the mind that you could have developers wasting their time on this dreck instead of punchlist bugs that have been around for months and years.

Last edited by pfbz; 08-01-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 PM
enjoytheride
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus.... the amount of whining on here never ceases to amaze.

I'm indifferent to the font-size change, but I definitely like the infinite scrolling!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

That wasn't an option when I posted. It has mysteriously appeared after the complaints began...

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Old 08-01-2017, 09:45 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job Nolan. Taking a good site and turning it into a piece of dog crap. This move makes me wonder if IB hired Dilberts pointey head boss.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
That wasn't an option when I posted. It has mysteriously appeared after the complaints began...
Where is this option?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Terrible ...thought my computer was hacked

Originally Posted by pfbz
Wow that's bad...

'infinite scroll' aside, wasting so much screen real estate with huge headers and footers makes trying to read long threads virtually impossible.

Less is more. And there are so many things that really need fixing, like a classified search that actually works and the ability to remove the classified search box as possible before your last 'great update'. It boggles the mind that you could have developers wasting their time on this dreck instead of punchlist bugs that have been around for months and years.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

It's garbage.

Makes the site unreadable...It's like being on Tapatalk, on my PC..

It's almost as bad as the Rennlist APP.

What you've done is taken a book, and printed it on one of those old dot matrix printers.
Instead of having clearly defined pages, you just get one long continuous awkward mess.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

PS... Please fix the classified search. And please restore the previous ability to 'hide' the classified search box when you are reading a thread after searching!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:54 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

I've been toggling back and forth between the two styles. I gotta say, I much prefer the old feature where the "Quick Reply" box was big, very obvious, easily seen at the bottom of the page, and ready to go. No buttons to click, just start typing.

Edit: I just don't see the advantage of needing to click a button to bring up what used to be there by default.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

In addition, with all due respect, I don't find the infinite scroll feature to be an advantage. Pages just seem to present information in a more bite-sized format.

...Plus, everyone knows when you find a particularly delightful lass in the IHI thread, you memorize the page she's on!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Hate this! Was using my iPad to write reply and inadvertently scrolled. The software went to the next related thread! I tried to return to my reply. It lost my reply and all the time writing it. I gave up and said screw it. No reply, too frustrating!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Not a fan. Especially for moderating - things are missing and simple tasks like deleting a posting are now complex instead of simple.

Please leave the option to use the older interface.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Nolan,
No offense, but this place was at its best just before IB bought it. Stop trying to "improve" it until one of you actually comes up with a decent idea.

If you want to fix something, fix the bug that makes the random picture thread show one more page than actually exists.

Patrick
Old 08-02-2017, 12:09 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

This change makes the normal site mimic how the mobile site has been for quite a while. It's not super common, but periodically people will post on some random, super-old thread by mistake as they scrolled to what they thought was the bottom of the thread, but instead scrolled past to the bottom of a recommended thread.
Most forums I am on, the members really jump down the throat of people that revive ancient threads, although here on Rennlist that doesn't seem to be SOP. In any case, what's the benefit here with the infinite thread scrolling?

Beyond that, as others have more colorfully stated, this new layout needs some more attention to white space and font sizing. My screen jumps multiple time with each page load making it a poor experience. I'll be switching back to the old layout for the time being.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was curious what all the crusty feedback was about, so I intentionally set it to the new style. It's unusable.

The screen real estate gets too compressed with the pop-up headers and footers. And when visiting a huge thread, I quickly got lost within it. Then I somehow got teleported to a "related thread" without intentionally clicking on it, and I was further confused about where I had gone.

I get why an "infinite scrolling" feature sounded like an interesting feature to attempt, but as said before, it's way harder to navigate than with distinct pages.

I switched back to the classic view.

Quick Reply: 8/1 Testing New Infinite Scrolling Theme For Some Users