Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Sportec engine upgrade of my 964

Yesterday my 964 went into Sportec Switzerland for its stage 3 engine upgrade kit to be installed.
The changes to the 964 include;
Complete new air filter assembly in which is mounted a mass air flow sensor and an separate high speed air temperature sensor. The filter is a K&N sports filter. The air box cover is drilled at the rear.
The existing complete airbox and airflow sensor assembly is removed and replaced. No modifications are required to any looms because Sportec developed a special adapter cable which hooks into the existing wiring.
The ECU is removed and modified. The new sensor requires a 12V supply and this is done within the ECU to avoid modifications to the existing car wiring which is messy, time consuming and can create other problems.
The cat is removed, cut open, the existing core removed. A new core of Sportec design is installed and the assembly is welded up.
When all the requires parts are installed and the car set up for the next stage it is time for the C4 to head off to the dyno and remapping.
Once the remapping was completed the car is removed from the dyno and reassembled. It then heads back to the dyno and an emissions check is carried out. Then it is test driven and when everything is okay the DME is finally reinstalled and the car handed back to its owner, in this case myself.

I am not going to post pictures this will be done on my own web site and on the Sportec web site.

The changes that have been made, I cannot attempt to describe.
You have to drive the C4 and feel it for yourself.
Driving home from Hoeri last night was like driving a new car. The driveability has changed so much that it is a really new and far superior product. The power can be felt coming on evenly and effectively. The torque improvement is awesome especially for me because I do a lot of hill climbing. No more fluctuating idle either. During remapping the idle area is carefully dealt with and the throttle quadrant micro switches adjusted to match the mapping. The result is a nice idle when the 964 is started cold or hot or whatever.
However debate is useless. Come along on to the Sportec open day in September and take it for a drive.

Finally the basic results.
Before modification the engine made 249.3 HP with 312.1 Nm of torque.

After modification the engine made 287.2 HP and 363.6 Nm of torque.

Do I recommend this upgrade? Yes I do. I have a new much more powerful and aggressive car to play with. It sounds better as well.
Sportec met their end of the bargain and provided an upgrade that exceeded expectations. Nobody can ask for more than that and it was done in less than a day and is value for money because it delivers exactly what they say and then some.

Notes:
The mandatory before check is carried out as part of the engine condition checks. Sportec run a full diagnostic on any car before it is accepted for modification. If you do not make certain parameters they will not do the upgrade unless you have the required repairs carried out and pay for them.

Virgin engines like mine may also have problems that appear during the upgrade. This occurs around the catalytic converter. Over the years the heat and the elements take their toll of the cat and its mounts. Additional cost in repairs should be expected if you take the cat mod in stage 3.

I am not entering into a debate with anyone. If you want to make your own assessment you are welcome to come and drive my "new" C4. I will also be switching now to 98 RON unleaded fuel and I will be changing the tyres to further improve the car.

Another C4 will be modified in the USA to stage 2 status in the not too distant future. This owner will then be able to provide a second opinion on the upgrade.

Final little piece of interest. Sportec are considering designing and manufacturing 18 inch wheels which they will get formal approval to be installed on all 911s from the 964 series up. This will be done through the Swiss approval system. The front wheels will weigh in at approx 6 kgs and the rear between 8 and 9 kgs.
If there is genuine interest in such wheels they will go ahead and do it. My name is already on the list because I know what the Swiss will require for certification and if it gets the Swiss approval tag then it has passed a most rigorous test.

Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: Sportec engine upgrade of my 964