Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Have used car lots taken over the industry? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/998391-have-used-car-lots-taken-over-the-industry.html)

911 Rod 07-06-2017 10:57 AM

Have used car lots taken over the industry?

Looking for a 3 year old Bimmer Touring or Outback and getting really frustrated.
The used car lots have all the cars. What's up? They look like nice cars, but I don't trust them. So much so that I would rather deal with the stealership!

red996 07-06-2017 11:29 AM

Unfortunately sometimes these car lots have something I just have to have. Then you get forced to deal with them. Just do your homework. Paint gauge, inspection, ect. CPO from the dealership is my preference on any used BMW.

Mark Henry 07-06-2017 11:40 AM

Most of them are off lease and had too many repairs for the dealerships to bother with.
Sold at auction.

moab 07-06-2017 12:12 PM

my Outback will be 3 years old in October and coming off lease...

theiceman 07-06-2017 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Henry (Post 14303555)
Most of them are off lease and had too many repairs for the dealerships to bother with.
Sold at auction.

This ,, we have an office close the car auction I think its manheim or something.

We can always tell its an auction because guys buy cars then just leave them in our parking lot ( the nerve) then come later and get them, we have had a few towed away but it only curbs the problem for a while, lots of recent Audis and BMWs

911 Rod 07-06-2017 01:58 PM

You guys are not giving me the answers I wanted.
Ya nothing has changed, the dealers keep the good ones.

Christien 07-06-2017 02:02 PM

What Mark said is spot on. To add to that, the good ones don't get returned at the end of their initial 3 year lease, they get bought out. Or the dealer already knows someone looking for that car, and puts the deal together before the car ever hits the market.

The ones that don't make the cut are sent off to auction and bought there by the independents. So you really need an inspection for those.

theiceman 07-06-2017 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 911 Rod (Post 14303907)
You guys are not giving me the answers I wanted.
Ya nothing has changed, the dealers keep the good ones.

well then just do what our sales manager does and just keeps asking different people the same thing until someone gives him the answer he wants.

red996 07-06-2017 04:59 PM

I didn't know that people that lease Bmw's actually bought out there leases. I just assumed after 3 years they want the "facelifted one". I mean driving around in a three year old car is just so common. I say dripping with sarcasm.

BIG smoke 07-06-2017 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OEM dealer only want their brand on their lot. Off brands are wholesaled off. Over millage, non PCO- able cars are also wholesaled.
Only low KM bmw's will be "Certified series pre-owned".
If you are buying a used BMW, make sure you consider an extended warranty.
Aftermarket? Like coverage one? bad news, they have to call into an adjusted to see the repair and authorize it.
BMW- extended - they authorize the repair in house. At least 48 hours faster than the above. I don't think BMW sells aftermarket warranty anymore. From what I understand, coverage one does not like their book repair times... which tells you a lot.
I also have a Subaru. Third car, first two aftermarket warranty's, never used them or claimed. Third car, no extended warranty, still within warranty, don't know yet if I will pull the trigger on one...

Coverage one $4k policy? claims for this car? $34,000?
Currently in for rear air bag suspension... $1500?
Last week, front driveshaft broke and took out the transmission oil pan.

Christien 07-06-2017 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by red996 (Post 14304378)
I didn't know that people that lease Bmw's actually bought out there leases. I just assumed after 3 years they want the "facelifted one". I mean driving around in a three year old car is just so common. I say dripping with sarcasm.

I can't say for sure they got bought out, I always assumed that's what happened to them, because in all my years at the dealer auctions, we rarely if ever saw nice off-lease BMWs. I'm sure there were 1 or 2, but they were very rare. So I just assumed they got bought out, or maybe renewed.

911 Rod 07-06-2017 07:32 PM

Pfaff Audi has a Outback that i would be interested in.
Can they be trusted? lol

Gregster 07-08-2017 12:44 PM

Let me chime in here. The big auctions these days aren't what they were years ago.. Just too much crap to sort through. You need to have GOOD contacts and individual dealers or GOOD Wholesalers to get GOOD cars. Sometimes you find gems on TradeRev.. We deal primarily with good contacts and always clean very clean examples. 60-70k off lease cars are the sweet spot, mileage is good on them so easy to sell. 90-99K a bit harder. Anything over 100k selling is hard as there is a physiological barrier that clients put up

Gregster 07-08-2017 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 911 Rod (Post 14304794)
Pfaff Audi has a Outback that i would be interested in.
Can they be trusted? lol

How long has it been in stock? Longer in stock means either it has a massive insurance claim, holding out for top dollar or they're just too lazy to move it... I would contact the used car director right away and make an offer a few hundred lower than what others are going for. Some dealers want absolute top dollar for cars rather than moving out volume

Jamie140 07-09-2017 01:01 PM

Used car dealers in TO are pretty scary.

I would trust motion endeavours or MVL, but not many beyond that.