Notices

Have used car lots taken over the industry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:51 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Subarus are known for head gasket problems and piston slapping problems and these are not cheap to fix. I've heard this from more than one owner that i know well.Many of them (like RX-7/8) have their engines replaced at least once. If you want reliability buy a Honda or a Toyota.
Funny you mention that based on the experience with my neighbor. I moved her car one day for her, and I told her that I think she has a rod bearing or something on the way out... horrible knock from the engine. This was about a year after she replaced the head gasket. She was planning to buy a new car, so she traded it in the next week after I filled it with some heavier oil to "quiet" the car down.

Her Subaru was a nightmare compared to the apparently high maintenance cars I have owned.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:52 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Subarus are known for head gasket problems and piston slapping problems and these are not cheap to fix. I've heard this from more than one owner that i know well.Many of them (like RX-7/8) have their engines replaced at least once. If you want reliability buy a Honda or a Toyota.
What model and years are you referring to?
Ya, if you go crazy on a WRX it's going to blow.
Show me a last two gen Outback that has had engine problems.
RX7? lol
Old 07-12-2017, 02:49 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Funny you mention that based on the experience with my neighbor. I moved her car one day for her, and I told her that I think she has a rod bearing or something on the way out... horrible knock from the engine. This was about a year after she replaced the head gasket. She was planning to buy a new car, so she traded it in the next week after I filled it with some heavier oil to "quiet" the car down.

Her Subaru was a nightmare compared to the apparently high maintenance cars I have owned.
And people are worried about used car dealers???
Old 07-12-2017, 03:38 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo

LOL. It was probably CPO'ED.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

LOL Subaru engine replacement is normal for rod knock, oil consumption and coolant leaks. A good friend of mine works at a dealer and does 6-8 engines a week. These are on cars with a warranty....
Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
But did you let it run all night and then go on a forum and complain?
Ummmmm no. I looked around to see if anyone saw it.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

nobody mentioned that Subaru especially forrester is popular with lesbians...not that there is anything wrong with that
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
nobody mentioned that Subaru especially forrester is popular with lesbians...not that there is anything wrong with that
The XT has the WRX engine.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:03 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
What model and years are you referring to?
Ya, if you go crazy on a WRX it's going to blow.
Show me a last two gen Outback that has had engine problems.
RX7? lol
The round headlight ones and the ones after it.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife has been in Subarus for almost 15 years (2 Legacy Wagons, Forrester and now an Outback). During the entire 15 years that we've had the cars there was exactly one mechanical issue that we had to address and that was a AC condensation issue on the current car that I noticed during the first few days of ownership. The dealership took care of it in an hour and it's been absolutely perfect for the last 3 years. Aside from oil changes and brakes this is the only unscheduled visit that we've had to make to the dealership in more than a decade.

All of these cars are painfully slow (all 4 cylinders) and have interiors that are 10 years behind the rest of the industry, but they have been absolutely bombproof with respect to reliability. These are definitely good cars for the zombie apocalypse.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:05 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Name:  forester1228150044.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  64.9 KB
Old 07-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nowakm99
My wife has been in Subarus for almost 15 years (2 Legacy Wagons, Forrester and now an Outback). During the entire 15 years that we've had the cars there was exactly one mechanical issue that we had to address and that was a AC condensation issue on the current car that I noticed during the first few days of ownership. The dealership took care of it in an hour and it's been absolutely perfect for the last 3 years. Aside from oil changes and brakes this is the only unscheduled visit that we've had to make to the dealership in more than a decade.

All of these cars are painfully slow (all 4 cylinders) and have interiors that are 10 years behind the rest of the industry, but they have been absolutely bombproof with respect to reliability. These are definitely good cars for the zombie apocalypse.
4 cars in 15 years. Have you owned each one long enough to truely judge there reliability?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

I have an Outback, and I agree with lesbians on at least one issue. I wasn't questioned on it before I purchased the car.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:09 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by nowakm99
All of these cars are painfully slow (all 4 cylinders) and have interiors that are 10 years behind the rest of the industry, but they have been absolutely bombproof with respect to reliability.
I believe there is a co-relation between the bombproof, the painfully slow, and the outdated interiors. Using under-stressed well tested components that are available inexpensively from OEM manufacturers because their R&D and tooling costs have already been recovered is a smart way to build a car. Probably boring, uninspired, and lacking passion... but smart.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM
PPo
Drifting

Funny, but accurate. My neighbor referenced in earlier posts is not one, but I live in the neighborhood of lesbians. Leslieville, or as I call it at times, Lesbianville. Sure enough, the 3 out of 3 Lesbian couples that I know of on my street own a Subaru.

Quick Reply: Have used car lots taken over the industry?