Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Lance Stroll (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/996680-lance-stroll.html)

bronson7 06-25-2017 01:03 PM

Lance Stroll

Congrats to Lance on a great finish. Hopefully more good things to come.

Imo000 06-25-2017 01:46 PM

Maybe if his dad has another $60mill to buy him a seat again.

Turbodan 06-25-2017 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 14278950)

that is how F1 works. you want to play, you have to pay...don't hate the player, hate the game:)

funny how Jaques is critiquing him. Lance has more points than Jacques did in his last few years in F1, also more than JV got in his first year in NASCAR. I like JV but he makes some stupid comments sometimes.

Brian 162 06-25-2017 04:05 PM

Seat buying isn't anything new. Stroll has shown improvement since the beginning of the season. The Williams car hasn't been burning up the track in years. The kid's got talent.

gbuff 06-25-2017 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 14278950)

You (and everybody else) really need to get off this--$$$$$ takes you only so far, then you have to drive the car; this he did very well.

Pastor Maldonado also brought a boatload of money with him into F1, and while he did win one race, he didn't last very long....no guarantees long-term about Lance either but here's hoping he continues to improve.

Gary

gbuff 06-25-2017 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 14279011)
that is how F1 works. you want to play, you have to pay...don't hate the player, hate the game:)

funny how Jaques is critiquing him. Lance has more points than Jacques did in his last few years in F1, also more than JV got in his first year in NASCAR. I like JV but he makes some stupid comments sometimes.

I like JV too, but he's in denial.....like Vettel not admitting he clouted LH on purpose.

joe_mtl 06-25-2017 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 162 (Post 14279203)
Seat buying isn't anything new. Stroll has shown improvement since the beginning of the season. The Williams car hasn't been burning up the track in years. The kid's got talent.

I agree. The kid did the driving.

Us Canadians are not the best at showing some pride ... I'd say buying a seat and putting a talented kid in it are 2 things that we should cheer !!

sdq7 06-25-2017 05:04 PM

A little help from the top secured him a podium but it doesn't take away his drive. Racing is about consistency and he held tough the whole race with a limited car. Great job kid!

kervracing446 06-25-2017 06:11 PM

We are all buying a ride in one way or shape. Just different zeros added in the rarified atmosphere of F1.

I agree with someone a few posts up we should be super proud of having a Canadian there representing and making noise. Pretty cool!

KenW 06-25-2017 10:16 PM

Lance drove, got the results, shut up.
Proud to see the Canadian Flag eh!

bronson7 06-25-2017 10:49 PM

^^^Exactly

vetfever 06-25-2017 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by KenW (Post 14279816)
Lance drove, got the results, shut up.
Proud to see the Canadian Flag eh!

Well said. Give him his credit due :cheers:

theiceman 06-26-2017 12:07 AM

He was smart enough to stay out of trouble. That race today was a total sh!t show. Good for him for just staying out of the way and surviving.

Imo000 06-26-2017 03:36 PM

I talked to a guy on Saturday that raced with him in karting. Dad was throwing huge money at him back then too to compensate for the lack of talent and he was doing just as well as well as those that spent less than a 10th. I trully beleive there are better drivers out there that would do better than those that buy their way in. Nothing teaches a driver how to squeeze everything out of their machine than lack of unlimited funding. Learing and driving a vehicle that doesn't have the best of everything produces a better driver. Pure tallent and ability should land a driver is a seat, not Dad's unlimited bank account.

gbuff 06-26-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 14281273)
I talked to a guy on Saturday that raced with him in karting. Dad was throwing huge money at him back then too to compensate for the lack of talent and he was doing just as well as well as those that spent less than a 10th. I trully beleive there are better drivers out there that would do better than those that buy their way in. Nothing teaches a driver how to squeeze everything out of their machine than lack of unlimited funding. Learing and driving a vehicle that doesn't have the best of everything produces a better driver. Pure tallent and ability should land a driver is a seat, not Dad's unlimited bank account.

Lewis Hamilton came from modest means--he's a World Champion.

Nico Rosberg came from money (and don't think for a second that Keke didn't help out)--he's a World Champion.

And so on and so forth....

Money or not, it's down to talent, as you said--all the $$$$$ in the world can't buy it. Unfortunately, in the world of F1 talent alone is not always enough to land a seat.

Maybe money AND talent would help me set a PB at Mosport tomorrow; sadly, I have little of both :crying:;)

Gary