Notices

Breaking out the PC Dual action this weekend

Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Breaking out the PC Dual action this weekend

Last time I polished or waxed the boxster was probably 5 yrs ago.

Forgive me oh porsche diety.

Anyways I have the lake Country orange, white and black pads.

The previous chemicals have all expired, and the solutions have all separated out of suspension. I had used optimum brand polish and compound in the past.

Going to CT in the morning to look at the Meguair's brand ultimate compound and polish.

Can I get away with one chemical or do I need both polish and compound?

Any advice as to which compound with what pad?

Will be washing and claying the vehicle 1st.

Peter

Last edited by petee_c; 06-16-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

no advice, but can I put a couple cars in line?
Old 06-17-2017, 04:03 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Meg's Ultimate Compound cuts well and 'breaks down' well enough not to need another stage IMO, for most...
Old 06-17-2017, 01:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts

Compound with orange, polish with white but it may be overkill. Hand rub bad scratches with Scratch X. Meg's makes great stuff, unlike Optima's, is shelf stable.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:59 PM
teal986
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd recommend some sort of all in one if you're looking for something time effective. I'm a big fan of menzerna 3 in 1. I use it with an orange pad on harder paints and with a white pad on soft stuff. Ultimate compound can be used as a 1 step on harder and/or lighter colored paint with pretty good results. If your car is black you might notice a bit of haze depending on the pad, however.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:31 PM
petee_c
Drifting

After washing my car and clay mitting it, the paint looked to be in good shape.
There were no holograms or offensive words swirl marks to my eye. A couple light scratches from washing or drying the car over the past 5 yrs.

​​​​​​I decided to forgo the ultimate compound and went back to cdn tire and purchased the ultimate polish and went with that and a white lake Country pad.

I taped off all the rubber trim that might get polish or wax on it and did a line down the center like you see in the youtube videos. There was a little improvement from one side of the hood to the other.

After getting half way around the car, I started getting issues with getting the polish off. It was an issue from that point on. It seemed to have a really short working time. Surprisingly since the pad was full of polish from the 1st half of the car.

I did put a couple teaspoons of water on the pad at the start to soften it up a bit, maybe I should have sprayed the panel with detailer or something. I don't know.

​​​​​
​​​
Old 06-17-2017, 11:32 PM
teal986
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Were you working outside? Most polishes have a much shorter work time on a hot surface. I've found the trick with UP is to do small sections at a time and not let it dry. Wipe it off immediately. If you have a spot that doesn't want to wipe off, run it over with the polisher again or give it a quick spray of detailer.

Having said that I don't think you'll notice much of an improvement with UP and a white pad. Try the orange pad or better yet get some UC. Then you'll have 4 different combos to experiment with. All this work isn't worth it unless you get the results you're after.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:28 AM
petee_c
Drifting

I was working in the garage with the man door and big doors open. Sun was overhead and not coming in the door. Paint ambient temperature 25 to 30 c.

My thinking of going away from UC was that the paint was decent and I didn't want to be too aggressive.

I probably would have been happy with just the coat of ultimate wax.

​​​​​​I wonder if people have tried mixing UC and UP together at the same time to extend working time.

​​​​
Old 06-18-2017, 10:28 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

If the working time is too short it may be that the pad is too loaded with polish (as you noted above). A couple of sprays of detailer on the panel can help but you should ideally have 4 pads per run to avoid this problem

Its good to start with least aggressive 1st as you have done. But ideally you can work one panel 1st before doing half the car and if you don't like the results then go more aggressive. Going with the orange pad and UP as teal suggested would be the next step

Cant speak to Megs as I use Menzerna. I have some old product which keeps working but hear their new stuff like the 3 in 1 is pretty good. I would not mix the products

But sounds like this is all after the fact so I am not being of much help!!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts

You should watch a few videos. It's not rocket science but if you don't follow the process it won't work. The products used don't make a significant difference but there aren't any short cuts.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is my go-to 1 step:

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/optimum-gps
Old 06-19-2017, 04:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

on a somewhat related note .. can someone post a pic of the tool that comes with the PC ? I need to change my baseplate and I forgot what it looked like
Thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 01:17 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Found a pic on the internet. All good thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breaking out the PC Dual action this weekend