Notices

simoniz clay bar mitt from cdn tire

Old 06-16-2017, 10:23 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default simoniz clay bar mitt from cdn tire

Anyone try this?

I bought one to try to claybar my parent's 2008 odyssey before I sold it.

I think it worked, but the paint wasn't silky smooth, but better. I do believe it removed some of the grit that was embedded in the paint. I doubt this vehicle had a handwash in probably 7-8yrs. Maybe I needed to spend more time on it, I was probably using the mitt for about 30 minutes total on a minivan.

Anyone get good results with it compared to an actual claybar. I have used the Mother's claybar in the past, but I know the paint wasn't as bad. It was a few years since I've clayed a vehicle, so I can't compare.

Peter
Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM
zak996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I helped a friend clay bar his mini cooper, paint was in good condition and not too oxidized or contaminated, he used that mitt and i used a claybar and the panels I did had about the same feel as the ones with the mitt. I couldn't 'feel' a difference when we were done.

After polishing and waxing everything looked equal so I wonder if it's technique and paint quality. I did notice the mitt seemed like it was a bit softer than the clay bar.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Thanks. I may try it this weekend. Quality time on father's day. Maybe my kids will help.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Bmantdot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me about your van that you're selling.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bmantdot
Tell me about your van that you're selling.
Sold.
Probably should of asked for more.
http://peterchang1.blogspot.ca/2017/...ey-up-for.htmlhttp://peterchang1.blogspot.ca/2017/06/my-parents-2008-honda-odyssey-up-for.html
Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 PM
petee_c
Drifting

I used the simoniz clay mitt on my black boxster today. Worked fine. I used normal pressure on it and it left the paint silky smooth with no marring of the clear coat.

​​​On my parents minivan, I was really using very light pressure, maybe that is why it wasn't getting off more contaminates.

Couple of water spots that it made better, but did not totally removed. Switched to a clay bar I had lying around and it didn't get rid of it either.

After 2 cars, the mitt looks in good shape. It is starting to develop a bit of a red tinge to it. Not sure from what, maybe leftover fuzz from my California duster?

I hadn't claybar'd my boxster for at least 2 maybe 3 years.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 PM
petee_c
Drifting

I used the simoniz clay mitt on my black boxster today. Worked fine. I used normal pressure on it and it left the paint silky smooth with no marring of the clear coat.

​​​On my parents minivan, I was really using very light pressure, maybe that is why it wasn't getting off more contaminates.

Couple of water spots that it made better, but did not totally removed. Switched to a clay bar I had lying around and it didn't get rid of it either.

After 2 cars, the mitt looks in good shape. It is starting to develop a bit of a red tinge to it. Not sure from what, maybe leftover fuzz from my California duster?

I hadn't claybar'd my boxster for at least 2 maybe 3 years.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

My concern would be dropping it on the ground and then your day is done?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:15 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The beauty of these clay mits or cloths is you CAN drop them and just rinse them off. They wont trap rocks and dirt like a regular clay bar being dropped.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 AM
mpower1226
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used it multiple times on multiple vehicles and the conclusion is that it isnt as good as the traditional claybars for heavily contaminated cars. Works fine on light contamination though.

You also dont want to use heavy pressure thinking that it would work better. It will do more damage (mar the paint.)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

yes, too much pressure from these synthetic clay towels/mits will mare the paint. Same with claybars though.

Thats why I use stuff like Optimum Power clean to remove the rubber from track days and the bugs from night commutes, and IronX or Sonax to remove the brake dust fallout. The less paint rubbing you have to do, the better it is, thats why i like the liquids. Power clean melts bugs guts and burnt rubber off. Ironx can be sprayed on, lightly agitated, then rinsed right off. Very little friction going on with your paint.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:35 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Where do you buy Optimum Power clean? Sooo many rubber marks.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/powercleansml
Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

car pro also has the clay discs:

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/carpropadclay

and their decon blocks: