Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Eurocharged ECU tuning - feedback request (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/988129-eurocharged-ecu-tuning-feedback-request.html)

AWDGuy 05-04-2017 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by vern1 (Post 14158072)
I know we discussed before but cant remember if Jake built the engine? Did you do other work other than the bore? I have the 4l and intake/exhaust upgrades and considering a tune

I built it. I have the OE PSE on it, that's it. I don't really plan on doing anything else to this car.

I heard back from Randy and hes saying all the things I want to hear. Including this little tidbit:

. All our tunes are guaranteed, with a $50k replacement value if something catastrophic happens (never has, and we plan it never will).

http://eurocharged.ca/about-eurochar...rrantyreturns/

928gt 05-04-2017 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 99three (Post 14158739)
False. The better tunes (not off the shelf) are commensurate to your vehicles fitness and complimenting upgrades. If one is expects a turn key tune then I would agree that it may do more harm than good as it isn't tuned for your specific setting.
At your request, EC will do a before and after dyno run measuring your cars performance prior to the tune and after. If needed, tuners can modify your A/F ratio to pinpoint accuracy for max efficiency.

Er - tunes "commensurate to your vehicles fitness and complimenting upgrades" by definition INCLUDE other engine modifications (upgrades). Pre-canned tunes that are a dime a dozen are the ones that will somewhat shorten the engine life or sacrifice some margin for error (if you get a bad batch of gas for example). If you've modded the engine, then a proper custom tune for your particular motor and mods may be able to get some more power without adversely affecting the longevity.

TurboS 05-04-2017 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 928gt (Post 14157954)
Unless you have also modified the engine, yes.

My 996TT had a GIAC chip almost immediately and $hitloads of trackways at Mosport and other tracks, ran flawlessly. Only upgrade was to modify the exhaust for better flow.

928gt 05-04-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by AWDGuy (Post 14158964)
I heard back from Randy and hes saying all the things I want to hear. Including this little tidbit:

Did he also read you the line right above the one that mentions the $50K engine warranty, which states "Coverage is for 2 years or 32,000 kilometers from the original in-service date", and futhermore inform you that if your car still has some factory warranty left, their tune would void the same?

Nothing against Randy - he's a very decent bloke I know from the BMW CCA, but if any of you think that there is such a thing as a free lunch (i.e free horsepower), I have an amazing deal on some excellent Ronco knives and some miraculous fitness pills!

TurboS 05-04-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 14158107)
Speak to Randy at Eurocharged. He knows his stuff and is a good guy:)

X2, and a great driver.

Imo000 05-06-2017 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 99three (Post 14158739)
False. The better tunes (not off the shelf) are commensurate to your vehicles fitness and complimenting upgrades. If one is expects a turn key tune then I would agree that it may do more harm than good as it isn't tuned for your specific setting.
At your request, EC will do a before and after dyno run measuring your cars performance prior to the tune and after. If needed, tuners can modify your A/F ratio to pinpoint accuracy for max efficiency.

Maximum efficiency leave no room for error.

kgoertz 05-07-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 928gt (Post 14160377)
Nothing against Randy - he's a very decent bloke I know from the BMW CCA, but if any of you think that there is such a thing as a free lunch (i.e free horsepower), I have an amazing deal on some excellent Ronco knives and some miraculous fitness pills!

That isn't true on all cars. A $200 tune for my BMW 335i increased the HP by 60-70 with only a minor impact. But BWM left a huge amount of power on the table with that engine and it is a twin turbo. My understanding is that porsche already completely optimized the performance of the 996 NA engine so a tune wouldn't gain much.

AWDGuy 05-08-2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 928gt (Post 14160377)
Did he also read you the line right above the one that mentions the $50K engine warranty, which states "Coverage is for 2 years or 32,000 kilometers from the original in-service date", and futhermore inform you that if your car still has some factory warranty left, their tune would void the same?

Yes, he did. Don't know where you got the impression I am looking for free horsepower though.

olegd 05-08-2017 04:08 PM

I think I'll hold off ECU tuning until after exhaust mods

99three 05-08-2017 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 928gt (Post 14160354)
Er - tunes "commensurate to your vehicles fitness and complimenting upgrades" by definition INCLUDE other engine modifications (upgrades). Pre-canned tunes that are a dime a dozen are the ones that will somewhat shorten the engine life or sacrifice some margin for error (if you get a bad batch of gas for example). If you've modded the engine, then a proper custom tune for your particular motor and mods may be able to get some more power without adversely affecting the longevity.

What????? An upgrade is not necessarily a modification "by definition".
For example: Due to issues with some factory F430 exhaust manis I opted to upgrade the headers.

99three 05-08-2017 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 14164420)
Maximum efficiency leave no room for error.

I'd tend to agree if boosted, but I'm talking NA.

Imo000 05-09-2017 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 99three (Post 14169274)
I'd tend to agree if boosted, but I'm talking NA.

The only difference is that $hit goes sideways a little sooner in a boosted car. Either way, you tune out the safety margin and the engine will pop when not everything is as the tune predicts/expects.

mike.baa 05-09-2017 08:51 PM

I had my 06 cayman tuned there a few years back. The throttle response was better and I did feel greater pull lower in the revs. I had exhaust + headers which responded well to the tune. Plan to tune my 997 as well.

I take all my cars to Eurocharged for everything. Great group of guys.

928gt 05-15-2017 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kgoertz (Post 14166525)
That isn't true on all cars. A $200 tune for my BMW 335i increased the HP by 60-70 with only a minor impact. But BWM left a huge amount of power on the table with that engine and it is a twin turbo. My understanding is that porsche already completely optimized the performance of the 996 NA engine so a tune wouldn't gain much.

Sure it is. Actual data and facts are in extremely short supply here, and your argument that your personal experience supports your conclusion is also wrong. That's like saying "I was standing not too far away when the Chernobyl reactor exploded and four years later I was fine, so exposure to radiation doesn't cause any harm." Google "335i tune failure" and have a read.

Originally Posted by 99three (Post 14169269)
What????? An upgrade is not necessarily a modification "by definition".
For example: Due to issues with some factory F430 exhaust manis I opted to upgrade the headers.

If you upgrade the headers, you have changed a part of the engine to something other than the original design. Last time I checked, that was the very definition of a modification. And, if said headers provide better gas flow, then a custom tune may be able to get you more power by taking advantage of the better gas flow.

Here's a fact: all other things being equal, an engine producing more power is going to be under more stress and suffer extra wear and tear (strain). Whether any one particular engine or part thereof is already run within an inch of its life (and its longevity is measured in mere hours) or is under-stressed from the factory (and could last several decades) is besides the point. They will both experience increased wear and tear and thus failures as a result of being run harder. The only variable is by how much.

kgoertz 05-15-2017 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 928gt (Post 14185840)
Sure it is. Actual data and facts are in extremely short supply here, and your argument that your personal experience supports your conclusion is also wrong. That's like saying "I was standing not too far away when the Chernobyl reactor exploded and four years later I was fine, so exposure to radiation doesn't cause any harm." Google "335i tune failure" and have a read.

That isn't true and that analogy isn't comparable what so ever. My argument wasn't based on personal experience and I did a lot of research before tuning my car including dozens of posts from people who have run tuned engines for many years. The thread on MHD tuning on e90post.com is currently at 427 pages (and I've read them all). The MHD tuning software (alone) has been downloaded over 10,000 times. The number of N54 engines that have been tuned obviously isn't documented, but the number is high enough to support a large handful of different vendors (ie Dinan, JB4, MHD, Cobb are the biggest ones). I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than 50K n54 engines that were tuned substantially above stock levels. Obviously the volume of n54 engines sold is huge since BMW has been selling that engine in multiple cars for years.
The reports of engine failures are extremely low by car forum standards. The n54 engine has forged internals and has been run reliably well above 500hp. BMW and Dinan both offered full engine warranties on tuned cars.

So back to the original point. Does tuning the car increase wear and decrease the lifetime of the engine in general? Almost certainly. It would be idiotic to claim otherwise. Even if the additional stress didn't, tuning the engine probably also had an impact on the driver's behavior which could accelerate wear.

Is the increase and wear and engine lifetime always significant? Obviously debatable, but on some engines (like the n54) the answer is may be no.