Notices

991.2 GT3 Allocations.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Little birdie told me Mark Motors has a silver winged "used" 2018 GT3 6 speed with 1000km for sale.
Carbon buckets
Contrast stitching pkg in red
some other stuff
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Little birdie told me Mark Motors has a silver winged "used" 2018 GT3 6 speed with 1000km for sale.
Carbon buckets
some other stuff
Fir a very hefty premium I'm sure !! Probably had a customer buy it for them and flip it to them for an allocation
This stuff should be illegal.
Boy would things change if dealers could NEVER sell over original list price. The landscape would. Change pretty fast.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Fir a very hefty premium I'm sure !! Probably had a customer buy it for them and flip it to them for an allocation
Boy would things change if dealers could NEVER sell over original list price. The landscape would. Change pretty fast.
Are you suggesting that a world where nothing could ever appreciate in value would be a better world?

I'm not sure you've thought this through.

You think classic 50's cars in perfect condition should be trading for hundreds of dollars??
Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Are you suggesting that a world where nothing could ever appreciate in value would be a better world?

You think classic 50's cars in perfect condition should be trading for hundreds of dollars??
I don't believe that's what he is saying.

There is a blatant practice going on with GT cars where people are not able to buy the car or are forced to pay a hefty premium for a delivery mile car because it's now on the used market. When dealers start calling out other dealers on this practice using terms like 'used' in quotations like that, it imply's something isn't right with the practice. It's not a fair first come first served practice to get a GT car. Whether or not this is an issue that Consumer Protection or Competition Bureau folks would be interested in I do not know. I read an article earlier this year about a guy trying to buy a snowmobile (IIRC) from two Honda (IIRC) dealers in Ontario, where something similar happened related to price fixing and preventing him from buying from a dealer of his choice for no clear reason other than price. He won.

So it's a bit different than saying a classic car cannot appreciate and must only depreciate in value.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I understand what you're saying. I didn't get that from the original post I replied to, but I expect you're right in that this is what he was probably getting at.

I will say that I don't think it's fair to suggest that first come first served is the fair way to handle the limited supply. I don't know what the right answer ultimately is, but it's not that. If it was, people would be on lists now for cars a decade in the future.

All the issues around getting an allocation though have been discussed to death here. I have little hope that we're gonna come up with any brilliant solutions here and now.

Bottom line is that new allocations are done and the only way someone will get a car in Canada now is in the used market, however un-actually-used any particular car actually is.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

I understand what you're saying. I didn't get that from the original post I replied to, but I expect you're right in that this is what he was probably getting at.

I will say that I don't think it's fair to suggest that first come first served is the fair way to handle the limited supply. I don't know what the right answer ultimately is, but it's not that. If it was, people would be on lists now for cars a decade in the future.

All the issues around getting an allocation though have been discussed to death here. I have little hope that we're gonna come up with any brilliant solutions here and now.

Bottom line is that new allocations are done and the only way someone will get a car in Canada now is in the used market, however un-actually-used any particular car actually is.
The best solution is to have an Albanian friend visit each dealership and speak to Dealer Principals on your behalf
Old 08-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by theiceman
There is a premium on the asking price but the car is available now.
Relative to the US it is priced at a discount.
It's a decent spec. I'm pretty sure I saw the car there in Dec/Jan.
It is what it is. Someone will buy it.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

There is a premium on the asking price but the car is available now.
Relative to the US it is priced at a discount.
It's a decent spec. I'm pretty sure I saw the car there in Dec/Jan.
It is what it is. Someone will buy it.
I'm sure you would not be as non chalant if you did not have one incoming
Old 08-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
I'm sure you would not be as non chalant if you did not have one incoming
If I didn't have one coming that I configured myself I wouldn't be buying one. But that's me. I almost always order cars or trucks the way I want them and I was content with my previous car.
When I placed my deposit I knew my chances were very slim that I'd receive an allocation. I was pretty sure I wouldn't get one and was more than ok with it. To my surprise and that of my SA an allocation came through. I think several years on the local PCA board helped.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

If I didn't have one coming that I configured myself I wouldn't be buying one. But that's me. I almost always order cars or trucks the way I want them and I was content with my previous car.
When I placed my deposit I knew my chances were very slim that I'd receive an allocation. I was pretty sure I wouldn't get one and was more than ok with it. To my surprise and that of my SA an allocation came through. I think several years on the local PCA board helped.

Don't shoot the messenger.
No shots fired. Congrats!

Let me know if you ever feel like parting with the 6GT3
Old 08-30-2018, 01:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

No... im saying dealers should not be involved in it. A car being at a porsche dealer with a 50k premium over new because its " used" with 1k on it to skirt the law, is fishy
Old 08-30-2018, 02:06 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Why doesn't Porsche just raise the list price?
Just asking ....
Old 08-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Why doesn't Porsche just raise the list price?
Just asking ....
Don't give them any crazy ideas!!

If they'd done this, I wouldn't have one.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
No shots fired. Congrats!

Let me know if you ever feel like parting with the 6GT3
Thanks.

The 6 is a special car. I think it's a keeper for me. I got mine used in 2007 but with under 1000 miles on it. No premium as at the time nobody understood Porsche GT cars or really wanted them even though they are relatively rare, much rarer than the new ones.

In reality it is flawed but that's what makes it so magical to drive on smooth pavement or a track. It's totally different compared with regular 996 or 997s. On the road it's really not the best car. It's loud and the suspension is rough.
But ... it talks to you if you're listening. The feedback is great. It's engaging. It's you driving the car. Not a computer. It's certainly not the fastest anymore but it's fast enough to scare me and it's fun. The fact that it takes effort to (attempt to) keep up with the modern cars makes it rewarding to drive. To me that's what sports cars are all about. Fun.

Drive one for awhile before you buy one but if you like what it offers it's a very special car. So special that former Excellence & Panorama editor and now 000 Publisher Pete Stout told me something to the effect that "there isn't one new Porsche car that I would consider if it meant replacing a 996 GT3." It's one of his top 5 Porsches. High praise.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbon buckets
some other stuff
Little birdie is a reliable messenger:
https://markmotorsporsche.com/invent...tallic+2050415

Well optioned for $235K and 890km.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Allocations.