Notices

Car's in for IMS Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
Don't forget the rear main seal (RMS) while they are in there.

I did 'the solution', clutch, and RMS when I purchased mine
RMS, AOS & clutch are being done.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
Don't forget the rear main seal (RMS) while they are in there.

I did 'the solution', clutch, and RMS when I purchased mine
I have to question the logic on this RMS all the time. If you have a seal in there lets say the latest part number and its NOT leaking why would you want to change it? Do I miss something here, let's say your have a non leaking seal and change it and now it leaks, what did you gain besides you now have a leak.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
I have to question the logic on this RMS all the time. If you have a seal in there lets say the latest part number and its NOT leaking why would you want to change it? Do I miss something here, let's say your have a non leaking seal and change it and now it leaks, what did you gain besides you now have a leak.
I think the logic is they have a finite life before leaking. If you replace it with a new one while you are in there you reset that finite life

I'm not saying that's actual reality, just that it's the logic like any other while you are in there maintenance item.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:14 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think the logic is they have a finite life before leaking. If you replace it with a new one while you are in there you reset that finite life

I'm not saying that's actual reality, just that it's the logic like any other while you are in there maintenance item.
Similar to why I'm doing the AOS.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:50 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I don't currently track my car as my warranty doesn't allow it.
Sorry, but that would not sit right with me. It's a Porsche.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:17 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Sorry, but that would not sit right with me. It's a Porsche.
Well I know its a Porsche but d'ems the conditions of the warranty. Even if I had shipped the car to Flat6 and had the full rebuild done by Flat6 they wont warranty for the track either unless you go with their stage 2 build with lots of upgraded parts and corresponding higher costs

So I could have shipped to Raby (vs just sending the block to LN) or I could have had the rebuild done here which is what I did. I enjoyed going to Mosport a couple of times a year but it wont kill me to wait out the warranty and if its all good then, I will likely go back

Every shop I talked to said the same thing and Keltech was the only place to give me a 2 year warranty on their work. Everyone else was 1 year max
Old 04-08-2017, 09:20 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by ggrace
Similar to why I'm doing the AOS.
Do what your comfortable with. You will get second guessed by lots of folks but you have to live with the car and its your dough!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

It's just a seal. If it doesn't leak, leave it alone and inspect it the next time the clutch needs replacement.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by vern1
Well I know its a Porsche but d'ems the conditions of the warranty. Even if I had shipped the car to Flat6 and had the full rebuild done by Flat6 they wont warranty for the track either unless you go with their stage 2 build with lots of upgraded parts and corresponding higher costs

So I could have shipped to Raby (vs just sending the block to LN) or I could have had the rebuild done here which is what I did. I enjoyed going to Mosport a couple of times a year but it wont kill me to wait out the warranty and if its all good then, I will likely go back

Every shop I talked to said the same thing and Keltech was the only place to give me a 2 year warranty on their work. Everyone else was 1 year max
If you plan on tracking the car after the warranty then might as well do it now. If the engine is going to pop when the warranty expires, it will pop before it too so warranty or no warranty, makes no difference really.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:10 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
If you plan on tracking the car after the warranty then might as well do it now. If the engine is going to pop when the warranty expires, it will pop before it too so warranty or no warranty, makes no difference really.
Maybe to you but not gonna happen
Old 04-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

A piece of paper doesn't keep an engine from failing....
Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
A piece of paper doesn't keep an engine from failing....
If you're referring to the warranty that Vern received, it's from your local IMS Solution certified shop - hopefully you have confidence in them 😉
Old 04-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by ggrace
If you're referring to the warranty that Vern received, it's from your local IMS Solution certified shop - hopefully you have confidence in them 😉
You are missing the point. Read my last post for explanation.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 AM
vern1
Drifting

I was wrong re Jake's warranties as he doesn't warranty ANY of his rebuilds for track use. If it hits the track, the warranty is void. The point he is trying to make I believe, after exchanging PM's with him, is that if you want to take it to the track then that's up to you but completely at your risk. It doesn't matter whether he does it or Keltech does it or how confident he may be in who is doing the work. Feel free to take it up with him if you like

Many our comfortable with that risk, many are not

The point I was trying to make is that things can go wrong even if you don't take it to the track so I don't see the point in voiding the warranty until it has run out.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Here's what I told Vern, verbatim. I posted it here, because this is the way it is, and the way it will always be here at Flat 6.

Going to the track is a big boy game, aviation is the only thing as risky, in my opinion. I believe if someone wants to risk life, limb, and vehicle to go ride around in circles at 120 MPH plus, then they'll damn sure have to risk their engine too.

No one comes to me for a piece of paper. Most people don't even ask about a warranty on the track, and they seldom ask for the street, either. The only engines that need a warranty to sell are the ones they don't have a proven track record. The only people that warranty a track engine are the ones that are either dumb, or dying for business. The sad part is both of those groups of people won't stand behind the warranty, anyway. They'll make up some exclusion that was in their fine print, and tell you to take a hike.
That said, always hope that the warranty that you receive is offered by someone with honor, and integrity, that will stand behind it. Based on the people I meet, the stories I hear, and the engines that I see, this is often not the case. Today well over 1/2 of our domestic work is generated by hacks. Shops that are working well outside of their comprehension and proficiency levels with these engines. Some of that is from cutting corners, other from negligence, and some from ignorance. Thats much different than the old days when it was all virgin work with engines that had never been touched.

I believe Liam at Keltec is a good guy. He's always been attentive in classes, and knows what to do with a wrench. I've never seen him perform risky IMSR procedures, and he often consults with us if he has a concern. Though he is our IMS Solution Certified Installer, I cannot vouch for his engine building. Vern will be able to in the future.

Quick Reply: Car's in for IMS Solution