Notices

Car's in for IMS Solution

Old 04-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
It is fair if you want to remedy the known issue of this engine aka do it properly.

A used engine is still over 2 X the cost with no guarantee that the IMS is bad. Or it has scored cylinders, or it has a failing thrust washer, or its weak rod bolts have stretched/will snap....or the IMS paddle snaps...or one of 5 (or 3) timing chain snaps....

but heh, Im sure you'll want to argue that!
Since the IMS Solution doesn't fix any of the other issues, how is that a fair comparison to a cost of a fully rebuilt engine that takes care off ALL the known issues?

I get it, people are extremely afraid from what they find on the internet. If you ask a mortician, they will tell you everyone is dying too. That's just how perception of view works. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with that bearing, there is BUT it's a lot less of a problem than it appears. But since it makes the OP sleep better than sure, why not go with it.

I'm a DIYer so my point of view is different than most people and $7K to change the clutch and this bearing is stupid expensive to me.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:23 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

And my point of view is while the the engine is open, you better address the known weaknesses of the engine while its open. Easy as that.

We all have different point of view's, nothing wrong with his approach if it makes him happy and confident in his car.

FYI - I would not pay that amount for this work either. But I'm not the OP and its not my car. I'm not going to tell him what he is doing is wrong or right. He's made up his mind and is happy with the decision.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:27 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Did you go with the solution on your rebuild?
I got the upgraded bearing that can be replaced without pulling the engine apart
Old 04-07-2017, 02:34 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I'm a DIYer so my point of view is different than most people and $7K to change the clutch and this bearing is stupid expensive to me.
I'm jealous! I have the desire, but no time or space, to wrench myself.

I have a supercharged E36 that I did some work on myself, but that was before kids and when I had a 2 car garage I could work in.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:49 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vern1
I got the upgraded bearing that can be replaced without pulling the engine apart
I did the same but I've been debating moving to the solution as I track my car.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:55 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggrace
I'm jealous! I have the desire, but no time or space, to wrench myself.

I have a supercharged E36 that I did some work on myself, but that was before kids and when I had a 2 car garage I could work in.
I have 3 kids, spent a lot evenings after I put them to bed working on my car. that meant my wife and I didn't get to spend a lot of time together. I think she was happier hearing the engine turn over for the 1st time in 2 years than I was.

Then again, I was well into cars before meeting her and she knew about my obsession when she married me. ha!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:57 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Not sure how much additional safety margin that gives you as the upgraded bearings are better then the already upgraded bearing that was in my 997. Is your a 996 or 7? And since you did the rebuild yourself your way better qualified to make that decision then I am

I don't currently track my car as my warranty doesn't allow it. I expect to go back to the track but that will be a couple of seasons from now. I would have no qualms with the upgraded bearing
Old 04-07-2017, 03:07 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

There's a number of posts here showing the LNE bearing also failing. (I have a 996)

I still track my car with it, but its always in the back of my mind.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

There's a number of posts here showing the LNE bearing also failing. (I have a 996)

It doesn't last forever but a the price LN charges many people feel it will. It would get annoying having to do the job every 3 years.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Why did they fail is the question? Unqualified installations...
Old 04-07-2017, 03:43 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gregster
It doesn't last forever but a the price LN charges many people feel it will. It would get annoying having to do the job every 3 years.
During Jakes course, it was recommended to be changed every 50k miles IIRC. treat it like a timing belt. It wears and it will eventually fail.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

During Jakes course, it was recommended to be changed every 50k miles IIRC. treat it like a timing belt. It wears and it will eventually fail.
Yep I am well aware. The labor time isn't horrible but I find the bearing itself to be massively overpriced
Old 04-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

I have 3 kids, spent a lot evenings after I put them to bed working on my car. that meant my wife and I didn't get to spend a lot of time together. I think she was happier hearing the engine turn over for the 1st time in 2 years than I was.

Then again, I was well into cars before meeting her and she knew about my obsession when she married me. ha!
Looks like we have more in common than I thought. I stopped after 2 kids though. The way I look at a project is "one bolt at a time" and eventually it will be finished, as long as I don't take on other projects in between. I usually work 1hr each evening when I feel like on a car and then slowly it gets done. Weekends I try to do more if I can but as long as the projet is moving along, even if slowly, it will one day be done.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Looks like we have more in common than I thought. I stopped after 2 kids though. The way I look at a project is "one bolt at a time" and eventually it will be finished, as long as I don't take on other projects in between. I usually work 1hr each evening when I feel like on a car and then slowly it gets done. Weekends I try to do more if I can but as long as the projet is moving along, even if slowly, it will one day be done.
Similar approach here, its just a bunch of bolts is my motto. Back in my fast and furious days I had an Eagle Talon AWD full mod 12 sec car. Blew the engine, my car was an auto and as luck would have it I found a manual roller. Bought the roller and a JDM engine and proceeded to swap in the entire trans, clutch slave, brake, transfer case, shafts, various suspension parts etc from the donor to my car, then proceeded to swap the engine. Hand built my own 3" full SS exhaust etc.. it was quite the project for a kid in his early 20's!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:01 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't forget the rear main seal (RMS) while they are in there.

I did 'the solution', clutch, and RMS when I purchased mine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car's in for IMS Solution