Notices

Nice day to get the car out but please behave!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:25 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I read the same section in the HTA. (here https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK239 )

The sub-points under line 150 are all requirements in order to pass on the right. Those requirements are "and" not "or". That means it is illegal to pass on the right unless the video overtaking is making or about to make a left turn.
It looks pretty clear that passing someone on the 401 that is driving in the fast lane is illegal.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction;
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

So aside from 'speeding' however remote it would be to get a ticket on the 407 for going 5kph over or even 10-15 over. You are saying all lanes passing you to the right on a five lane highway are breaking the law? I say section B comes into play.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

exactly. Passing on the right is not illegal on 400 series highways.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:22 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction;
You missed my point entirely. b) is a sub-point of line 150. The way I read it line 150 requires that both (a) and (b) are both true in order to satisfy the condition. The 'and' at the end of line 150 (1) is critical.

But after reading the law again it isn't entirely clear. Point (c) is actually the interesting one because of the "; or" at the end of (b).
Point (a) really should have an "; and" or an "; or" at the end of it but it doesn't.

I'm a bit shocked that the law isn't more precise. In order to overtake on the right the traffic act either says:
  • (a) and (b) and (c) must all be true
  • ( (a) and (b) ) or (c) must be true
  • one of (a) or (b) or (c) must be true

Which one is it and why?

While I am an expert in computer logic, I am not a lawyer. And I haven't been able to find anything online that clarify this.

I also wasn't arguing whether or not the law makes sense since so many drivers stay in the passing lane even when not passing. But I would like to understand exactly what is legal vs illegal.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:29 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

I do not read that as b) being a sub point to line 150.

I pass police cars on the right on the 417 and 416 on a weekly basis. I am not one to hang out in the left lane. I stay in the right or middle lane and pass on the left when there's a car in my way. If am going 120 km/hr and I am in the middle lane with a clear way, I am not slowing down to match the speed of the left lane hogger who is gingerly going 110km/hr. I will pass them and keep on truckin' with my day.

Ottawa is famous for left hand lane hoggers going 110 km/hr. I pass them on the right, watch them road rage as they wave their arms flipping the bird at me.

lol

Last edited by AWDGuy; 04-03-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:33 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I do not read that as b) If am going 120 km/hr and I am in the middle lane with a clear way, I am not slowing down to match the speed of the left lane hogger who is gingerly going 110km/hr. I will pass them and keep on truckin' with my day.
You might get your car impounded for that statement. Swat team is on route.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

There's nothing illegal with passing on the right.

I've called and reported *** hat driving on the 401. I called when I was in Brockville and saw the car being impounded with a tow truck in Whitby.

fast forward almost 9 months later and I get a call from the Crown asking me to be their witness against this guy in Kingston Court. I said, sorry, unless you guys will cover my wage and expenses 100%, I just cannot commit to a full day (or more) away from work for this. They advised me that they would be dropping all charges then. I said that's fine, you guys already made sure he paid the price with the street stunting suspension and vehicle impound anyways.
Snitches get stitches! If you ratted the driver out, have the descency to show up at court.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The stunt driving charge isn't just for doing 50 over. I've seen reports on the news where OPP officers stating driving erratically or trying to beat an oncoming car turning left before the light changing to green can get you the same charge.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I agree. Reports from other driver's should not at all be basis for impounding a vehicle. What if I was at the same On Route in the 911 but not driving with that group? Would my car be subject to seizure just because of its make?
Luckily you don't fit their demographic. Your car is much nicer than those pos's that were impounded.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Imo000
Snitches get stitches! If you ratted the driver out, have the descency to show up at court.
Anyone is welcome to try and give me stitches. When you put my family in danger because you want to be a cowboy on the public road, I take matters into my own hands.

I could care less of your school yard rules. I'll "rat out" idiotic and aggressive drivers all f'in day long.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I recall driving in Germany, on the autobahn, 3 lanes.
Actually... I was a passenger, my cousin was driving.
In the right lane doing about 120 - 130... avg speed.
So we come upon a car in the centre lane going slower.
We slow down, pull in the centre lane behind the slower car, he moves over into the right lane, and we pass him.
Thats the law over there.
You cannot pass on the right on the highways.

If you're in the left lane doing whatever speed, and someone is approaching you at 280 + km /hr... you better move over pronto...... without fear of someone being on your right
Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

But thats there and this is here.
It is what it is and the idiots will be idiots.
Its not gonna change anytime soon.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

yeah, every country will have its own rules and laws of the road. Ever driven in Cairo, Egypt? Complete disregard of all traffic laws. Wild West out there! Makes our drivers look really good. lol
Old 04-04-2017, 11:34 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone is welcome to try and give me stitches. When you put my family in danger because you want to be a cowboy on the public road, I take matters into my own hands.

I could care less of your school yard rules. I'll "rat out" idiotic and aggressive drivers all f'in day long.
yee haw

Quick Reply: Nice day to get the car out but please behave!