Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Amalfi Coast

Hi Gang,

Looking to take wife and son (16 months in July) to go to Amalfi coast for 10 days.. Heard it's going to be super crowded and if it was up to me, I'd go in September but doubt the wife would approve that so with that being said...

Never been there.. so need some help on :

1) Fly to Naples and take the ???? to the first stop.. are there taxis or shuttle that will get you to your first town?

2) travel from town to town? Where should we start and how to get from town to town..

3) We are travelling with a toddler so he'll be strapped to my back in most cases since the stroller will probably not be of much use in these copper stone/narrow roads.. thoughts?

4) Hotels to stay at? Don't want to live like a rock star but something clean and 4 stars would do? walking distance to beach and restaurants? and shops would be nice?

PS.. I'll be hitting the gym to train for the 12 hours of carrying 20 lbs of weight on my back.. hopefully he won't go over 20 lbs by July LOL.. also don't mind the Easter Bunny pic, it wasn't my idea.. this is what happens when you go to work and the wife stays home with nothing to do but think of crazy bunny ears to stick on my son!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Yea don't rent a car unless you wish to pay massively for insurance
Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
Yea don't rent a car unless you wish to pay massively for insurance
?? Rented a car and toured around Tuscany a year and a half ago. Only way to do it and wasn't expensive at all. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Positano for sure, Capri as well.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Rent a car dude.
Sorrento, Capri. Pompeii is close to Naples, should not miss if you are into that sort of thing.
My wife and I hired a boatman to take us around the island of Capri. Was amazing. It took all day and we saw all of the grottoes. Bring massive amounts of sunscreen or your Canadian hide will be barbecued. Sorrento is a nice town at night, lots of restaurants.
Blue grotto below
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:43 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

U guys forgetting that 16 months old nugget I have to lug around?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chimcu
U guys forgetting that 16 months old nugget I have to lug around?
more reason to have a car.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AllanH
more reason to have a car.
lets say my memory of driving in Italy wasn't great last time I was in Milano ... plus driving around the coast in a foreign land is something I don't think I wanna experience lol
Old 03-22-2017, 12:49 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wife and I flew to Rome, train to Naples, train to Sorrento. Bussed to Amalfi coast, enjoying all the views without having to worry about the narrow roads and traffic. Also rented a car for Tuscany, went to the Ferrari factory/museum. Also checked out Positano, Sienna, Rome, Florence and Venice. Looking to go back next year.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:10 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love driving in Italy!!! Leave the welp with the grandparents and have fun!!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
I love driving in Italy!!! Leave the welp with the grandparents and have fun!!
+++ This! Country roads never straight for longer then 50'. Then when you return you will be depressed with Ontario's painfully boring roads.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

yeah ... i've been to Italy and driving around was great.. dont' get me wrong .. the drive from Milano to Zurich was absolutely amazing...however, this trip is a bit different and the leaving the kid at home will not fly w/ the wife so what I am looking for is advice on getting around (not driving), boat /ferries? where to buy tickets to avoid lines, etc..

hotels accommodations ?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I hiked Cinque Terra this past September, which is 700 km north but similar topography to Amalfi coast. Never been to the Amalfi coast so I can't verify. Best way to travel Cinque Terra was by train or by foot if you like to hike up and down mountains. Forget a car/ bus if the terrain/road system is similar. Trains are very efficient. It will be VERY crowded in July. September was still crowded, especially when the cruise ships were in town. We absolutely loved Cinque Terra. Make sure you have LOTS of water with you as you will absolutely fry at that time of the year.

If you are driving and are near Nice France, the Gorge du Verdun national park is absolutely outstanding! While driving there we saw approximately sixteen 918s (lost count because I was so excited and couldn't beleive what I was seeing) carving up the roads and canyons. My wife kept telling me to go slower than the speed limit because the roads were see-sawing back and forth around the terrain and she was getting nauseous. I had to tell her, that I was not speeding and the cars behind me would want me to go faster ;-)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

We are going in September, staying in Positano, and decided to fly into Naples, rather than fly to Rome, train to Naples and car to Positano. Heard there are lots of pickpockets on train etc., and wife did not want to do that.

Definitely doing Capri, and I'm looking into a little side trip to go to Paggani to see the factory (if they let you come look around).

My wife wants to rent a nice car for a few days (like a Ferrari), but I think that will be quite expensive, and you'll only be sitting in traffic winding around the roads of the coast.

Anyone have thoughts / experience with this?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTorTT
We are going in September, staying in Positano, and decided to fly into Naples, rather than fly to Rome, train to Naples and car to Positano. Heard there are lots of pickpockets on train etc., and wife did not want to do that.

Definitely doing Capri, and I'm looking into a little side trip to go to Paggani to see the factory (if they let you come look around).

My wife wants to rent a nice car for a few days (like a Ferrari), but I think that will be quite expensive, and you'll only be sitting in traffic winding around the roads of the coast.

Anyone have thoughts / experience with this?

get your own thread just kidding ....

Quick Reply: Amalfi Coast