Notices

Crashed GT3RS - speed shop ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I hate driving clients' cars too. Whenever I do an import from the states, if I'm driving it back myself it's always a stressful trip. I drive a client car like a granny, but I'm still always worried about some jackass doing something stupid.
People use my parking to turn around all the time, see photo below. The broken pavement is from constant use, I had it repaved. Now I keep my garbage bins there to stop people from pulling u turns.

The only incidents I had here was when a Sonata hit a 996 ,broke the mirror then drove away. I had the same color mirror here on the used parts shelf, called the owner and said what happened. He didn't seem to mind at all. There was the insurance scam VW Golf but that's another story...

Old 03-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
People use my parking to turn around all the time, see photo below. The broken pavement is from constant use, I had it repaved. Now I keep my garbage bins there to stop people from pulling u turns.

The only incidents I had here was when a Sonata hit a 996 ,broke the mirror then drove away. I had the same color mirror here on the used parts shelf, called the owner and said what happened. He didn't seem to mind at all. There was the insurance scam VW Golf but that's another story...

Looks like the City open cut the area where the pavement is failing. Asphalt is a flexible pavement and only good as the base. When the base fails, the top fails too, repaving it will not last, need to fix the base first.

Is that a 928 in the glass reflection?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

They cut it at where the cones are are until the street and regraded the approach. Now really low cars aren't an issue. Landlord and city didn't want to pay for anything, I did it out of pocket.

Nah 924s with a documented 42000kms on it.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

I hate driving clients cars on road tests simply because if something happens it will end up on the net and there goes the business. I'm not nervous about myself but rather other people possibly smashing the car. I install lots of goodies on turbo BMWs which make them very fast... Just drive it normal and hand the keys back. If the owner wants to wreck the car let them do it. There is a shop around here that smashed a 991 Turbo on a road test, the mechanic was taking a selfie... It was all settled with insurance but the dummy posted the selfie photo.
When you talk about a car getting hit by someone else at a test drive... the first thing that came to mind was that Ferrari F40 that got wrecked just by the Auto Mall near Weston Road and Hwy 7. (where Pfaff Porsche is)

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/rare...to-test-drive/
Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crester
When you talk about a car getting hit by someone else at a test drive... the first thing that came to mind was that Ferrari F40 that got wrecked just by the Auto Mall near Weston Road and Hwy 7. (where Pfaff Porsche is)

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/rare...to-test-drive/
Yep I remember that. EVERYONE on internet forums blamed the tech or sales person driving the car and shop. Then it came out the accident was caused by the other car...

There was this locally. Then it turned out the owner was fighting so hard because he had a 2nd mortage on his home to afford the car.
http://jalopnik.com/5670646/mechanic...er-fights-back
Old 03-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Reminds me of the 918 that the shop guy drove over the edge of a parking lot and into a lagoon at a Porsche dealership in Europe I believe.... LMAO
Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt L
Reminds me of the 918 that the shop guy drove over the edge of a parking lot and into a lagoon at a Porsche dealership in Europe I believe.... LMAO
it was a GT3
http://www.businessinsider.com/porsc...sterdam-2016-3

Last edited by Turbodan; 03-06-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:55 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

You should use a portable dash cam whenever you drive a customer's car. Cheap insurance.

It's funny how bent out of shape some people are about this...I mean it's just an automatic Carrera...

I hate driving clients cars on road tests simply because if something happens it will end up on the net and there goes the business. I'm not nervous about myself but rather other people possibly smashing the car. I install lots of goodies on turbo BMWs which make them very fast... Just drive it normal and hand the keys back. If the owner wants to wreck the car let them do it. There is a shop around here that smashed a 991 Turbo on a road test, the mechanic was taking a selfie... It was all settled with insurance but the dummy posted the selfie photo.

Funny story. I have a really good client actually friend with a Ford GT that I pick up from his house and drive to my shop which is about 30 mins away. As soon as I get on the highway I have people taking photos or filming video... that happened in traffic once. The good part is he does a hardwired front and rear dash cam.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
No one "drove it"...the car didn't have brake calipers on it and it rolled into the water. Read that in the GT3 section...
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

DOH!!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Just revealed my attention span!!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
No one "drove it"...the car didn't have brake calipers on it and it rolled into the water. Read that in the GT3 section...
Not doubting you... but why would a car not have brake calipers?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:54 PM
ansonintoronto
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a Porsche, did you really have to ask. If anything, it could be an option 😊
Old 03-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

They needed the lift for another job while the calipers arrived?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

"So what happened: owner wanted calipers painted, so they took all brake calipers off (except handbrake?). They still put it by the highway because there were more RS there, and it looks good. A mechanic got into the car, didn't realise that there were no brakes. What exactly happened after that is unknown (we'll never know) but the car ended up in the water!"
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Crashed GT3RS - speed shop ouch!