Notices

USA drive GTA-Florida

Old 03-04-2017, 11:58 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 344 Posts
Default USA drive GTA-Florida

This is probably old news to folks who regularly make the trip, but on the off chance you've always taken I75 here's an alternative you might like.

Cross at Ft Erie -then I90 to Erie PA then south on I79 to US19 (283 mi) -Boring as hell but the speed limit is 70 mph which seems a suggestion more than anything else as even the big rigs are touching 80.

South of Pittsburgh the landscape gets some big hills and long sweepers and at Flatwoods you'll exit to US 19 the Mountaineer Expressway. The name says it all and this where you'll go into West Virginia and the Mountains. Thats 71 miles of action to Beckley where I overnighted.

Next road is I77 which I started at first light. Only a few big rigs and less cars. Major decends (miles) with bends going both ways. At 90 your sides will be feeling the seat bolsters. That road goes though a couple of mountains and the tunnels are about a mile in length, although I didn't measure it as I was quite busy at the time. Thats takes you through to Virginia and finally I26 for about 300 miles of a decent drive.

I26 is a frikin madhouse. Four lanes narrow shoulders with a forest as a divider. If your not doing 80 you'll get run over. I didn't get run over, but in my concentration missed the exit to I95 at Columbia SC so i had to backpedal from the next exit.. Thats a 90 mile drive worthy of a NASCAR name. Obviously the asshat in the Olds Regal drafting me thought so as he was close to my bumper and all I could see was the grille.

After that its I95 that moves along except at the construction zones which are many.

All in all I have to commend VW for building a very capable little TDI. This one is my friends 2010 and is in line for the cash rebate and perhaps the crusher.

The road after Beckley is worth the trip alone and I almost considered turning around to do it over. There was an interesting sign through that part that read, 'Scenic Highway next exit' and that next exit directed the driver to the town of 'Bland'.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:58 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 381 Likes on 162 Posts

I've always wondered what the drive south to Florida would be like!

Thanks for posting this up.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:25 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been years since I did many of Florida drives but I do remember a lot of ups, downs, and bends. Just don't want the Smokey's to pull you over.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:19 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid description... I have been driving to Florida and back every year for the past 7 or more years. With 3 kids and a wife in a minivan! The route you describe is the one I prefer. The kids look forward to the 2 long tunnels that look like you are going to fall off the end of the earth when you exit.

You can really make some great timing if you hit the mountains at an off time. If you are leaving Pittsburgh right before evening rush hour, you are good.

However, word of caution, when you get to the small towns with traffic lights, they are serious about their speed limits. When it drops below the 60-70 mph range, stick to the posted speed, this is where the cops are 99% of the time.

Interestingly, my family may be in the running for the land speed record for a fully loaded minivan on public roads. ;-) (Usual disclaimers apply and something about me ignoring self righteous opinionated posts about my lack of proper judgment. I even took a picture with my cell phone, while driving at top speed, just to make sure I upset everybody. But it wasn't a racist or religious picture, sorry.)

I love the drive through the mountains, and I must say that the Hyundai Entourage minivan with the 4.0L engine does really well with being overloaded and 5 people inside. The 4.0L engine was worth it when considering minivans.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM
PPo
Drifting

Oh! I stop in Mooresville NC overnight either way. Why? Because you can usually hear a NASCAR team doing an engine test on weekday mornings! Also, I try to stop by and pick up some parts as there are many race shops in the area...
Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Oh! I stop in Mooresville NC overnight either way. Why? Because you can usually hear a NASCAR team doing an engine test on weekday mornings! Also, I try to stop by and pick up some parts as there are many race shops in the area...
Good tip, i'll make a point of it on my way back.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:43 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
There is also an awesome kart track there that is frequented by many Nascar drivers.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Have done the same drive 4 times there and back. Crazy but every time we did the drive back we did it non stop from Siesta Key (Sarasota). 24-26 hours straight. Last time drove through fog in the mountains for 6 straight hours in the middle of the night! Scary stuff. Between the fog and all the deer it was a stressful drive. And yea the kids love the 2 tunnels.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done this drive countless times to SC and Daytona/Orlando. The tunnels are ~10 hours out and mark the half way point to Daytona.

When its foggy take care as medical vehicles as well as Air Amulances are grounded. If roads are snow covered I take a Hotel, many of our southern neighbors are unaware of how to handle the slipery conditions or are driving on summer tires.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:47 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If travelling for March Break always check the NASCAR schedule if you plan an overnighter within 200 miles of Bristol TN make sure you book way in advance and be prepared to pay alot more for a place to stay.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:56 AM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Doing that exact drive on Wednesday night. Along with a 2 and a 5 year old in a minivan. Living in Niagara it's the easiest way for us too. Made the drive a few years ago when it was just one little one, but now with two I have to say it should be a challenge.
Leaving after dinner and plan is to drive all night while everyone sleeps (and doesn't need to snack or go to the bathroom). Hoping close to 12 hours gets us somewhere around GA by morning when we can take a break, have some breakfast and let the kids stretch their legs where it's warm.
Headed to Naples until the end of the month so guess it's worth it in the long run. Plus it should be time to get the 997 out of the garage when we return.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I've done this trip several times, and once you get out of PA, the scenery is beautiful. The mountains through West Virginia are spectacular, especially in the fall.

Though there's a lot of dumpy places in WV. Off the side of one of the highways there's a double-wide trailer that's been made into a strip club. My wife and I always joke it should be called "rock bottom".
Old 03-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 464 Posts

Just don't do it like I did last year. 20+ hours of straight driving while downing 5 hour energy drinks. My brain crashed just as we pasted Stelco coming home, that last 5 km's was absolute hell. LOL

In the future we will only do 8 hours per day max with the kids in the van.

Have fun.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I found by leaving early the children sleep while you can drive for the first 4 hrs in peace and quiet
Old 03-06-2017, 02:05 PM
PPo
Drifting

I have tried different strategies with the kids... I just accept the fact that it is going to be a long couple of days and deal with it... I can't do the overnights as I just get too tired to enjoy the time in Florida and my wife doesn't drive.

I also believe in the 8 hours maximum driving. Basically splits it into 8-8-4 which makes the last day somewhat easy so you can still unpack and enjoy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USA drive GTA-Florida