Notices

2005 997 at WFC. 2003 996 at pFaff.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:57 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 158 Posts
Default 2005 997 at WFC. 2003 996 at pFaff.

Folks:

I plan on looking at these cars soon.

Any one have information on any of these?

I'm leaning towards the 996 because the interior electronics in the 997 are looking pretty dated.

Whats the best place for a ppi?

What do you think the out the door price will be?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

More than a couple of people here suggested Hunter Motorsports for a PPI. They are located in east Mississauga area (Dixie and Dundas more or less).

I tried to go there for my recent purchase, but the owner was away and the young fellow left in charge was not able to juggle other customer cars off their lifts long enough to squeeze me in (admittedly I gave very little notice).
Old 03-01-2017, 06:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

The pfaff car looks like it has a premium added due to being a Porsche dealer. They do PPI's.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill

I'm leaning towards the 996 because the interior electronics in the 997 are looking pretty dated.
Sorry I can't offer any info on either of these cars but I have to ask, how can the interior electronics of a 997 look more dated then that of a 996?

Good luck with your search!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

The 996 interior is black. The 997 imho nav with a slot for a sim card using a dvd player for maps is quite dated. Just mu opinion...
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

The 996 interior is black. The 997 imho nav with a slot for a sim card using a dvd player for maps is quite dated. Just mu opinion...
true, the electronics are dated even up to the 991. With the 996 though if it came with NAV or I've even seen a hand telephone is pretty dated as well.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
true, the electronics are dated even up to the 991. With the 996 though if it came with NAV or I've even seen a hand telephone is pretty dated as well.
Things like that add to the charm of the car.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

So, conflict of interest having pfaff do a ppi for a car they are selling?

Car has less than 70k. it has not had any IMS updates.

Any comments or opinions?

I've waited a long time to go water cooled.......
Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I think the 997 is the better deal between those two cars, the narrow body 997 also has a wider rear then a narrow body 996. I think brakes are also larger then the 996.

With the 996 though I think they would supply the PPI if it doesn't already include it all ready.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

So, conflict of interest having pfaff do a ppi for a car they are selling?

Car has less than 70k. it has not had any IMS updates.

Any comments or opinions?

I've waited a long time to go water cooled.......
I had inquired about the 996 you are asking about several months back. I recall it being a one-owner car from Quebec (who moved to Toronto and trade it in.) Overall, the car is in good shape and Pfaff put in some time/money in to it doing any necessary repairs and whatnot.

I ultimately passed on it because I couldn't secure a second parking space where I live, so it was a bust. The price is a tad higher than when I originally saw it (I think $35,000?) but I'm sure there's wiggle room. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the car as it was smack in the middle of winter, and the vehicle was stored off-site.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I had inquired about the 996 you are asking about several months back. I recall it being a one-owner car from Quebec (who moved to Toronto and trade it in.) Overall, the car is in good shape and Pfaff put in some time/money in to it doing any necessary repairs and whatnot.

I ultimately passed on it because I couldn't secure a second parking space where I live, so it was a bust. The price is a tad higher than when I originally saw it (I think $35,000?) but I'm sure there's wiggle room. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the car as it was smack in the middle of winter, and the vehicle was stored off-site.
The car was priced at $35K 2 weeks ago...So I'm sure there is wiggle room.

So, next question. What's a full rebuild/replace going to cost me if the IMS fails?

So, based on all the internet reading, this is my only hold back. I've seen estimates as low as $8k to as high as $25K.

What's real world rebuild, in Toronto, going to cost. Obviously it's not a set cost but a ballpark.

I came across a British website that ballparks estimates at between 3500 to 8000 pounds. I certainly would be comfortable with that.

I'm not too comfortable doing a potential $25K rebuild on a $25K car.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

The IMS is likely to fail the moment you drive it off the lot.

Jokes aside, I do not believe this 996 had its IMS etc replaced. I was willing to move on it whether it failed or not, but it was a risk I was willing to take as my previous 996 with similar mileage was perfectly fine and still on the road to this day. As for costs to replace the IMS, I'm afraid I can't answer this question. Hopefully some of the guys here can chime in.

If it helps your decision, if you aren't comfortable doing a potential $25K rebuild on a $25K car, I would highly recommend you look at a different car altogether.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

That 996 has the smaller IMS that can be replaced with any of the good options out there (e.g. dual-row ceramic, or "plain" bearing type "Solution" - both from Flat 6 Innovations). I would just price it into the car and have the replacement done immediately. FWIW I went with the dual row ceramic in my '04 Boxster. As is often the case, the original stock bearing that came out was perfect (I am a mechanical engineer and am experienced in evaluating bearings). Trouble is, some amount of these bearings do fail (causation is still disputed) and you can't easily predict your outcome. The replacement option is relatively cheap, and once done, the 996 should be a very dependable car.

The early '05 997s still had the smaller IMS which could be replaced. Part way through the year it was changed to a larger IMS that can only be serviced by dismantling the case. The larger bearing does not seem to fail as often, but it can fail too.

As for Pfaff, my own experience is that they are very careful about the used cars they sell. In my case, I purchased a used 2004 Boxster S from them. Finalized the deal without any issues and then when I picked the car up several days later, I was pleasantly surprised to see it shod with four new Michelin Pilot Sports and new front brake rotors, all as a result of the final inspection. I had noted that the tires were long in the tooth and had closed the deal assuming I would be putting new tires on in a year or so. But when I saw that the dealer went ahead on their own accord to do so, I was impressed.

We have also purchased one new vehicle from Pfaff, and I have purchased a ton of parts as part of my 911 and now 944 projects. Always very happy with the service I get. You do definitely pay a premium for their used cars though. This is just personal background experiences that may be relevant for you.

I do not have experience with WFC, but they have been around a while, which suggests they are probably a reputable business as well.

Most people generally prefer the cosmetic differences of the 997, especially the interior, which will probably mean the 997 keeps an edge on resale. That said, there is relatively little difference between a late 996 and a 997.1 (there is a LOT more real differences between a 997.1 and 997.2, mainly a completely new engine...)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 500
That 996 has the smaller IMS that can be replaced with any of the good options out there (e.g. dual-row ceramic, or "plain" bearing type "Solution" - both from Flat 6 Innovations). I would just price it into the car and have the replacement done immediately. FWIW I went with the dual row ceramic in my '04 Boxster. As is often the case, the original stock bearing that came out was perfect (I am a mechanical engineer and am experienced in evaluating bearings). Trouble is, some amount of these bearings do fail (causation is still disputed) and you can't easily predict your outcome. The replacement option is relatively cheap, and once done, the 996 should be a very dependable car.

The early '05 997s still had the smaller IMS which could be replaced. Part way through the year it was changed to a larger IMS that can only be serviced by dismantling the case. The larger bearing does not seem to fail as often, but it can fail too.

As for Pfaff, my own experience is that they are very careful about the used cars they sell. In my case, I purchased a used 2004 Boxster S from them. Finalized the deal without any issues and then when I picked the car up several days later, I was pleasantly surprised to see it shod with four new Michelin Pilot Sports and new front brake rotors, all as a result of the final inspection. I had noted that the tires were long in the tooth and had closed the deal assuming I would be putting new tires on in a year or so. But when I saw that the dealer went ahead on their own accord to do so, I was impressed.

We have also purchased one new vehicle from Pfaff, and I have purchased a ton of parts as part of my 911 and now 944 projects. Always very happy with the service I get. You do definitely pay a premium for their used cars though. This is just personal background experiences that may be relevant for you.

I do not have experience with WFC, but they have been around a while, which suggests they are probably a reputable business as well.

Most people generally prefer the cosmetic differences of the 997, especially the interior, which will probably mean the 997 keeps an edge on resale. That said, there is relatively little difference between a late 996 and a 997.1 (there is a LOT more real differences between a 997.1 and 997.2, mainly a completely new engine...)
Thank-you for the detailed information.

What do you think it would cost for the IMS replacement? Who would you recommend?

I hesitate in changing the bearing only when they are in there and would do the clutch at the same time.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

steam mill you know me from the GTAMC, do NOT buy an 996 or early 997. If you are worried about ims/engine issues you are rolling the dice. Take it from someone with a costly experience. PM me and we can exchange numbers or meet up and i can give you my detailed experience and thoughts.

Quick Reply: 2005 997 at WFC. 2003 996 at pFaff.