Notices

OT: use caution when choosing FedEx for cross boarder shipping

Old 02-16-2017, 01:05 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OT: use caution when choosing FedEx for cross boarder shipping

I'm sure many of us are looking for odds and ends to put on or in our P cars when they finally come out of storage.

I recently purchased some used floor mats for my 944, price was right($50) however the seller chose to ship with FedEd rather than my preferred USPS when buying from the states.

The package arrived and all that was asked for was my signature. Great I thought after past expirences with UPS and their ridicules brokerage fees..weeks pass and yesterday I get a notice from FedEx advising I owe $41 for tax and there brokerage service.

I call them up today and explain that the part is used, made in the US and if I was declairing it with CBSA there would be no charge. First Lady I spoke with seemed to agree and transferred me to another section. I was greated by someone who could hardly speak English and understood me as badly as I understood her..she would not let me talk to someone else and looked at my invoice where she offered to take a $10 advancement fee (which she could not even tell me what this fee was) off the bill.

Out of frustration and not feeling like spending more hours on the phone I paid the amount.

From now on I will only use USPS or I will have the package shipped to upper New York and drive down to get it myself.

End of rant but I hope it helps someone save money down the road.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:09 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I insist on USPS or I won't buy!!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

save the duty, the drive and time www.crossborderpickups.ca
they charge about $5 to bring a package back to Canada and they know how to declare it so no duty. They also say for car parts made in Europe up to $800 is duty free for some reason.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:28 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had mixed experiences with FedEx and USPS. Once FedEx had me self-clear a set of wheels, which was good because I didn't have to pay a brokerage fee and only a small duty. Once I got a letter like the OP and had to pay $69 in fees on a $150 used part. Several times there was no fee at all. With USPS, I paid duty to the Canada Post-man once, so its not always "free". A good practice is to ask the seller to write a low value on the declaration form and "used auto part" for description - I found that this usually helps keep the fees down.

I think that self-clearance may be an option with FedEx which the sender can select but I am not 100% on that. Maybe someone can chime in on this?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

www.crossborderpickups.ca is an interesting option. Did anyone here use it for larger items like wheels/tires and what was the experience?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, that cross border pickups service looks really intriguing - thanks for posting that Danny!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I used them to ship wheels to Houston couple weeks ago. They seem very professional. I have not used them shipping to Canada yet but will next time I need it.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Sorry to hear of your experience plumbum, I got burned by them a few years back too. You can get dinged taxes and duties on USPS too, as Canada Post will get you if it's over a certain value (I think $200), but still miles ahead of the mafia that are the couriers.

So, does cross boarder actually ship to your Canadian address, or do you pick it up on the US side (like Kinex)?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:07 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Oh my god there are plenty of port huron and niagara pick up spots for $5 per package. Do a run and declare at the boarder ......you only pay 13% which is what you pay here .......I would gladly pay 50% more for it here but when its 200% more , I draw the line , make a shopping list , and go for a road trip.......if i can do it on a 2 day one ,I dont even have to pay the 13%........
Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

crossborderpickups will bring it back here for your. their office is Mississauga but they can ship it to you from their location as well. As I said save gas, money, time, and even HST and maybe even some duty. These guys are pros, and have a tidy office. btw...no affiliation, just a happy customer.

Last edited by Turbodan; 02-16-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Thats a firkin great plan.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
crossborderpickups will bring it back here for your. their office is Mississauga but they can ship it to you from their location as well. As I said save gas, money, time, and even HST and maybe even some duty. These guys are pros, and have a tidy office. btw...no affiliation, just a happy customer.
Very useful info - Tx
Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I would never tell your shipper to declare your parts as "antique automobile parts" using usps. I would never tell anyone to declare your antique automobile parts as worth $1. That would be illegal. Lol.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of people in Ottawa use the ups store in upper New York and drive down for a pick up. Great suggestions by many here.

I use to fear the ups truck but FedEx is even more sneaky. They deliver the part and let you play with it only to send an invoice weeks later..neither ups or FedEx supplied lube with there invoices. I still got a great deal even with the charges and have no issues paying tax (although on used car parts made in the USA I don't believe we have to) but these scam artists are getting away with theft..it's as bad as my hydro bill!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I picked up $850 USD worth of car parts yesterday from Lewiston NY yesterday. I declared it at the border and it cost me around $130 in tax. It's still cheaper driving down to the States compared to shipping from a US purchase point.
Dan's option looks pretty good as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: use caution when choosing FedEx for cross boarder shipping