Notices

A sad reminder of cars and our kids

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I've been saying this for many years and I'll say it again, 16 yrs of age is way too young to drive a car. Move it to 18 and hopefully the extra 2 years will help with the maturing process of our younger generation. Also, the drivers test should be completely revamped, much too easy.
I agree my son was 18 before he was even close to ready. At that age it's about managing emotion and ego more than about skill.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I agree my son was 18 before he was even close to ready. At that age it's about managing emotion and ego more than about skill.
Also, it's way to easy to get a license here. They should implement the what Europe has been doing for generations.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Imo000
Also, it's way to easy to get a license here. They should implement the what Europe has been doing for generations.
including the big green L on the back of the car. I don't know why they don't institute that here. Would advise other drivers to give the car and driver a little more time and space.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:32 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with Robinson and Stan. End of the day any SUV has the capacity to kill or any car for that matter. I doubt the headlines would have read the same if it was a Chevy SUV.
Still a tragic tragic loss.
I'm really surprised more manufacturers don't have a performance limit program on vehicles parents can set for anyone who borrows the vehicle.
The technology absolutely exists.

I did not let my son get his license for over a year and a half after he turned 16. The maturity just was not there needed to drive a killing machine.

The girls.

I know on Ford's you can get the speed limit on the 2nd key. A friend got his daughter a Ford Fiesta 1.0 3cyl Ecoboost and set the speed limiter at 110kph. There was an accident here before xmas, 17 year old driving a new M4 wrapped it around a lamp post a few hours after leaving the dealership. How can the parents even believe that is a good purchase... The sad part is the dealer is under no moral ground to suggest purchasing something else.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah i see changes being legislated eventually. for graduated licenses and the ability to limit performance.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I've been saying this for many years and I'll say it again, 16 yrs of age is way too young to drive a car. Move it to 18 and hopefully the extra 2 years will help with the maturing process of our younger generation. Also, the drivers test should be completely revamped, much too easy.
I was 14 with a learners license in Alberta, can't say I agree.

But yeah, the actual tests are way to easy.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I was 14 with a learners license in Alberta, can't say I agree.

But yeah, the actual tests are way to easy.
no disrespect intended , but just because you had one , doesnt necessarily mean you should have.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:32 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

no disrespect intended , but just because you had one , doesnt necessarily mean you should have.
I'd agree that there are some (perhaps many) 16 year olds lack the maturity and responsibility to drive, though that's certainly not the case for all. Children who grow up on farms usually learn to operate powerful and dangerous machinery from a young age, and it gives them a good sense of responsibility. It's a combination of gradually earning trust to safely operate larger and more exciting machines, and having to fix things when you break them, that builds the necessary character. It's not unusual to see 12 or 13 year olds running 200+ hp tractors in rural areas, and there is a culture of doing so safely and responsibly.

I myself grew up on a farm and ran all sorts of heavy machinery from a young age. There was a trust developed over years where I would have the privilege to run these things if I was careful and responsible for not causing damage.

However, there once was an incident where a teenager from a city (family friend) came for a visit and I showed him how to operate a small garden tractor. In farm communities, we'd never worry about that, as children there know to respect machinery. However, the city kid, who had never run any machinery before, decided to take the tractor when I wasn't watching him, drove it behind the barn out of site, put it in the highest gear, and started zipping around the uneven field as fast as it would go. Not having been exposed to machines before, he hadn't developed the required sense of responsibility. Feeling like he won't have another chance, he decided to "make the most of it..."

I suppose my point is that it's important for parents to build a sense of responsibility in handling powerful and dangerous machines by giving supervised exposure from a young age. The level of maturity when it comes to such things varies greatly with one's background. On my farm, my father let me drive his truck around the fields starting when I was just 13, but this came after gradually earning his trust, and knowing the consequences for me personally and for the family if I damaged or crashed the truck.

For some kids with a rebellious streak, it can be risky introducing them to cars and machines, since they may feel that with their limited knowledge, they know enough to sneak out and try something. However, if access to a nice car or a powerful machine isn't a "forbidden fruit", and they feel they can have access while they act responsibly and earn/maintain your trust, then they're less likely to risk losing the controlled access by sneaking out and doing something dangerous.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

not to worry guys, as it is only a few years away that we will not be allowed to drive ourselves anymore. Google cars will rule the road. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.
BTW I think 16 is fine for a graduated license. I have seen many people much older do very stupid things so their age did not deter them from being stupid. Explain the consequences, raise them properly and they will do just fine.
Another funny thing is many of the millenials don't even want to learn to drive in the first place. Another is most will never learn to drive a standard car so leaving the keys around probably isn't a danger anymore.
Again sorry for the families of these young girls.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I've said since I was a teenager that the driving and drinking ages should be reversed - let kids drink at 16 but not drive till 19. Driving is WAY more dangerous than drinking, when it's in the hands of an immature teenager.

And yes, driving tests in Ontario are a joke. My kids will do skid pads and similar before they get their licenses.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

They were buried yesterday. On Valentine's Day
Rip
Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
I'd agree that there are some (perhaps many) 16 year olds lack the maturity and responsibility to drive, though that's certainly not the case for all. Children who grow up on farms usually learn to operate powerful and dangerous machinery from a young age, and it gives them a good sense of responsibility. It's a combination of gradually earning trust to safely operate larger and more exciting machines, and having to fix things when you break them, that builds the necessary character. It's not unusual to see 12 or 13 year olds running 200+ hp tractors in rural areas, and there is a culture of doing so safely and responsibly.

I myself grew up on a farm and ran all sorts of heavy machinery from a young age. There was a trust developed over years where I would have the privilege to run these things if I was careful and responsible for not causing damage.

However, there once was an incident where a teenager from a city (family friend) came for a visit and I showed him how to operate a small garden tractor. In farm communities, we'd never worry about that, as children there know to respect machinery. However, the city kid, who had never run any machinery before, decided to take the tractor when I wasn't watching him, drove it behind the barn out of site, put it in the highest gear, and started zipping around the uneven field as fast as it would go. Not having been exposed to machines before, he hadn't developed the required sense of responsibility. Feeling like he won't have another chance, he decided to "make the most of it..."

I suppose my point is that it's important for parents to build a sense of responsibility in handling powerful and dangerous machines by giving supervised exposure from a young age. The level of maturity when it comes to such things varies greatly with one's background. On my farm, my father let me drive his truck around the fields starting when I was just 13, but this came after gradually earning his trust, and knowing the consequences for me personally and for the family if I damaged or crashed the truck.

For some kids with a rebellious streak, it can be risky introducing them to cars and machines, since they may feel that with their limited knowledge, they know enough to sneak out and try something. However, if access to a nice car or a powerful machine isn't a "forbidden fruit", and they feel they can have access while they act responsibly and earn/maintain your trust, then they're less likely to risk losing the controlled access by sneaking out and doing something dangerous.
I agree with you wizee, city folks are the problem.

You don't need skid school to learn to drive responsible. Better program is the defensive driving course. I am not sure that it is mandatory but it was when I the military.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No worries. None taken.

I grew up around motorized fun. I was riding dirt bikes and skidoos at age 9. My kids are on these things even earlier. My father taught me to drive at 12. licensed at 14. Still here 23 years later driving faster cars at race tracks now.

If you don't respect the machine, its going to bite you. I got to learn that at a very early age. When I moved to cars, I was very aware of what I was in control of.

Last edited by AWDGuy; 02-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

They were buried yesterday. On Valentine's Day
Rip
No parent should ever go through this.

Quick Reply: A sad reminder of cars and our kids