Notices

help on Jacks and Jack stand options

Old 02-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought one of these low profile jacks for my car from Canadian Tire (link from Princess Auto). The hydraulic jack I had for previous cars was too high and would touch the side of my 997. If I was to do something going forward I would probably get one of those jack systems that lifts your entire car at once. They look pretty good.

This low profile jack is working well for me. You can raise the car high in like 3 "pumps"... it's really low profile... and has a rubber jacking pad.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ck/A-p8486698e
Old 02-02-2017, 02:02 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Just so you know - the industry standard for imported "low profile" or "Racing" style jacks is 3.5" minimum. The jack indicated above goes down to 2.75" which is pretty hard to find without spending a fairly large sum of money. Harbor Freight sells a decent jack that goes down to 2.85". Many guys don't like HFT jacks, but the steel ones an OK value for the money. That said I wouldn't rely on the HFT or any jack alone if you plan to work on the car while elevated. One final thought - the vast majority of jack and jack stand "failures" are the result of the car slipping off the jack or jack stand or either tipping over. That's an advantage of the Esco stands or stands that offer a proper fit on the lift point of your car. Remember - even if you don't get injured - you probably will do allot of damage to your car if you lift it in the wrong place or have the car slip off your jack or jack stand of choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help on Jacks and Jack stand options