Notices

I think I might need a new engine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

You can't fix your engine to address all the known issues for $12K. If someone says they can do it, I suggest you ask for a very detailed list from them and then post it here OR run. Either you can get a refreshed one or a good used one for that much.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best value I see is the MB rebuild recommended by others in this thread. They are $cad 15k with a 20% discount for Canadian address! If ads are to be believed the refresh is fairly comprehensive. Need a core back down to Florida!

Otherwise I see no used units that are cost effective/justify the risk without seeing them and they are all in the USA other than Kijiji man who I still need to talk to. Contact made, no reply, he can work an email though!!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

A resleeved engine with a bigger bore and IMS solution is going to run at least $10k more than that. Then you have an engine that fixes all the known major issues with the m96/97 engine. But sounds like that's not in the budget and is an expensive route for a 996 unless youre going to keep the car the rest of your/its life
Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Originally Posted by vern1
A resleeved engine with a bigger bore and IMS solution is going to run at least $10k more than that. Then you have an engine that fixes all the known major issues with the m96/97 engine. But sounds like that's not in the budget and is an expensive route for a 996 unless youre going to keep the car the rest of your/its life
Vern, I like it and will fix it, but I don't like it that much. For what I'm about to spend overall I could have got something way better, but such is life.

The MB has a warranty at least, although what use it is in Canada I don't know and is not much more than a lower mileage engine. I can get a 170K miles engine for $6000 but that seems stupid.

I have finally had contact from the Indie, hopefully he is looking at it next week. Advises not driving. His guess is either IMS or Bore deterioration.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Montychristo128
Best value I see is the MB rebuild recommended by others in this thread. They are $cad 15k with a 20% discount for Canadian address! If ads are to be believed the refresh is fairly comprehensive. Need a core back down to Florida!

Otherwise I see no used units that are cost effective/justify the risk without seeing them and they are all in the USA other than Kijiji man who I still need to talk to. Contact made, no reply, he can work an email though!!
Do more reading. That rebuild is not really a rebuild but a really good refresh. It doesn't change any of the issues that the stock engine has. Take you time and do some reading on all of this for the next few weeks and then make a decision.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:48 PM
vern1
Drifting

Vern, I like it and will fix it, but I don't like it that much. For what I'm about to spend overall I could have got something way better, but such is life.

The MB has a warranty at least, although what use it is in Canada I don't know and is not much more than a lower mileage engine. I can get a 170K miles engine for $6000 but that seems stupid.

I have finally had contact from the Indie, hopefully he is looking at it next week. Advises not driving. His guess is either IMS or Bore deterioration.
I hear ya

I went my route because I really like my car and plan to keep it a while. And it is a better engine then the original in every way

And yes, buying a 170k motor is not advisable
Old 10-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Originally Posted by Imo000
Do more reading. That rebuild is not really a rebuild but a really good refresh. It doesn't change any of the issues that the stock engine has. Take you time and do some reading on all of this for the next few weeks and then make a decision.

The MB option seems to be the best least bad "affordable" solution.

All the engines I see on fleabay (seems to be best source for them) are $6K with over 100,000miles on them or $10K for something you might think would be worth putting in a car. This seems too close to the MB price with some sort of warranty /peace of mind. Regards thinking about it, seems to be all I do these days.

If the lower mileage engines were $6k, then it would be worth the risk.

Anyhow, hopefully the Indie looks at the car next week and I can start a move forward plan. Its slightly depressing looking at the Pig on axle stands with its Ar*e in the air looking forlorn.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Here is some food for thought while I'm exploring options, a 3.4 short block and the killer Core charge.

So list price from the Porsche Dealer I have tended to get parts from is CAD $7446.75 full list (which compares well with the $6300 US) for a 3.4 short block (part number 996.100.951.TX, core charge though is nearly $8500 and core has to be rebuildable, no cracked blocks.

Once I know what's wrong, this may be a good option, as it should eliminate most of the known issues, assuming that the "no re-manufactured Porsche blocks have failed ever" statements I have seen elsewhere are true.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Shortblock = only the block and rotating assembly? No heads or anything else?

You won't know if you get the core charge back until Porsche takes it apart until then, your money is theirs. It's up t their discretion if you get the core charge back. They are looking for a lot more than cracks in the block to determine if the block is rebuildable. The rebuild factory block will not eliminate most of the known issues, as a mater of fact all it does is give you a larger IMS bearing that is less prone to failure but can not be changed without splitting the block. As I sad before, take you time and read....then crunch some numbers and THEN decide what to do. Sounds to me you are rushing this. Many that need shops to do the work from them have come to a conclusion that selling the car as-is is the only financially logical solution.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Imo000 not quite sure how I'm rushing anything here, car has been down for a month now while I ponder its fate. It's worth next to nothing without an engine. I'm exploring all my options including the short block and L&N although probably great is way too much money for this car, so I have the following options as I see it:

1) Ebay used from USA somewhere around $us7k plus delivery and taxes some unknowns
2) Bloke on Kijiji with rebuilt engine for $12k CAD
3) MB option, currently $us12K less 20% for Canada (nice of them) plus taxes and delivery this has warranty, new ims, resleeved and seems like a good deal. At least one user here seems to have gone this way
4) Found an engine in the US with new IMSB and warranty for $us7500
5) Rebuild in Canada, I spoke with Keltech about this and he thought around $20k to sort it out.

I'm patiently waiting to hear from the most local Indie, I have left messages with Franz (returned first call but not second), whaletail who were going to explore options for me but did not call back.

What else do I need to read? Known issues seem to be IMSb, the new IMSb is scored bores, cracked heads etc etc.

And yes selling it is an option, but at what cost?

I'm spending more time looking for a solution to this than working right now (boss if you are reading this I'm only joking).
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Originally Posted by Imo000
You can't fix your engine to address all the known issues for $12K. If someone says they can do it, I suggest you ask for a very detailed list from them and then post it here OR run. Either you can get a refreshed one or a good used one for that much.
Here is what's supposed to happen with the MB Engine:

All of our rebuilds come with 1 year warranty and include professionally restored cylinder heads (sanded, resurfaced, serviced valves, new seals, pressure check), new main bearings, new rod bearings, new piston rings, new water pump, new updated low temp thermostat, new timing chains, new sliders, new tensioners, new seals, new gaskets, new filter, new cylinder head bolts, resleeved cylinders, new IMS roller bearing, and much more...
Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 PM
vern1
Drifting

I think you are looking at the right options IF a new engine is required.

Re the indies, you really have to hound them and the phone rarely works. You mostly have to go in and see them in person. Most of the indies I approached never returned my calls even when it was a +$20k job

And if the engine needs replacing my thought process was 1) get the cheapest engine possible and sell it or 2) get a rebuild that solves the ims and bore scoring issue and keep it

Since I wanted to keep the car that left #2. RND and MB are viable options but since I was going through the time, pain, anguish and $$ I wanted more! So I went LN for the 4L bore

Pretty simple really ha ha
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Montychristo128
Pro

Yup, its all assumptions at this point in time, I would like to keep it, if I can find a half decent engine. Yeah, it seems difficult to get them to take my money! Slightly frustrating.

I think the LN option is probably the only one that might add value to a car.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:39 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

..., it seems difficult to get them to take my money! Slightly frustrating.
Like any trade today, few want to chat on the phone. Sure call a few, but really face to face is often the best. Make a few calls, get a few recommendations. These shops are elbow deep in nuts, bolts, connecting rods and oil. Go see the shop. See who's kids college fund you will be donating too

My eX5 has been in the shop for 92 days this year, and in again for a door handle that is shorting out the car. On back order. New cars are no better.
They are are all equally, out to get us.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Here is what's supposed to happen with the MB Engine:

All of our rebuilds come with 1 year warranty and include professionally restored cylinder heads (sanded, resurfaced, serviced valves, new seals, pressure check), new main bearings, new rod bearings, new piston rings, new water pump, new updated low temp thermostat, new timing chains, new sliders, new tensioners, new seals, new gaskets, new filter, new cylinder head bolts, resleeved cylinders, new IMS roller bearing, and much more...
What about the pistons?

Quick Reply: I think I might need a new engine.