Notices

Services Ontario - One Key online system is crap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:15 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Services Ontario - One Key online system is crap!

It's that time of year again when I get to renew my plates. I had to have the C4S e-tested yesterday...no problem there other than paying that $30 stupidity tax to the Gov.
But then the fun really started! Once the Drive Clean test is passed, the info is already in the government database so to expedite matters, I decided I would just log onto the site, renew for 2 years, pay and be done with it. Well, the website looks like it's been designed by a 5-year old with poor programming skills. Once I got to the payment page, I chose "Debit Card" and the system redirected me to the payment vendor. Payment accepted, email alert from my bank, all good so far. Vendor page returns me to the Services Ontario website where I see an error message that the session timed out! Money taken, but transaction not completed. Phoned their support line and the "dude" on the line said to try later and that the payment would be reversed in either a few hours or a few days. Luckily it took a few hours only. Tried again with a CC and same thing.
So off I go to line up and one of their sh!tty, slow-as-molasses centres! Our tax dollars at work!
Rant over
Old 08-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
It's that time of year again when I get to renew my plates. I had to have the C4S e-tested yesterday...no problem there other than paying that $30 stupidity tax to the Gov.
But then the fun really started! Once the Drive Clean test is passed, the info is already in the government database so to expedite matters, I decided I would just log onto the site, renew for 2 years, pay and be done with it. Well, the website looks like it's been designed by a 5-year old with poor programming skills. Once I got to the payment page, I chose "Debit Card" and the system redirected me to the payment vendor. Payment accepted, email alert from my bank, all good so far. Vendor page returns me to the Services Ontario website where I see an error message that the session timed out! Money taken, but transaction not completed. Phoned their support line and the "dude" on the line said to try later and that the payment would be reversed in either a few hours or a few days. Luckily it took a few hours only. Tried again with a CC and same thing.
So off I go to line up and one of their sh!tty, slow-as-molasses centres! Our tax dollars at work!
Rant over
Just so you know the centres are not all government owned. We have been lined up out the door every morning for a month. The sticker increase on sept 1 has everyone rushing in to save $12. The other big factor is all the people that come in with incomplete info, and it's allot of them, trust me. The stories I could tell you and I'm sure your opinion of us being slow would change. Just sayin.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:49 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Yup, just came back from one of those Centres and the line up was out of the door! Did a u-turn and came home. I don't know about the extra rush for Sept 1, but I've never seen one of those places without a line up in TO. Maybe Burlington is better.
Anyway, I decided to try the online system a 4th time and it finally worked. Maybe, my email to the Ministry of Transportation yesterday got some IT guy off his *** to fix the problem.

Last edited by pongobaz; 08-26-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Yup, just came back from one of those Centres and the line up was out of the door! Did a u-turn and came home. I don't know about the extra rush for Sept 1, but I've never seen one of those places without a line up in TO. Maybe Burlington is better.
Anyway, I decided to try the online system a 4th time and it finally worked. Maybe, my email to the Ministry of Transportation yesterday got some IT guy of his *** to fix the problem.
It is also the time of year. Lots of parents gifting cars to kids for school etc. Burlington is a good bet, they are not as crazy as we are in Oakville. We have people lining up an hour before we open, it's nuts. I would swear we were selling rolling stone concert tickets or something.

Lol.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I always do mine around 1:30pm and the wait is usually minimal in Brampton.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Live in a small town north of the city. Walk in - walk out all done in 5 min. Privately owned centre.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

+1 I go to the one near the cottage, in and out.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 PM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yesterday I had e test on PCar-no prob-tried plate renewal on line-fine till my postal code did not include my street on dropdown list-they said it was a new street! Funny, I've lived on it 40 yrs and the service ontario plate renewal letter was delivered to my house with my 40 yr old postal code. Got in the menu loop on phone -no option for my inquiry-had to go to center anyway.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Phil

Don't waste your time going to Kipling/Queensway or Cloverdale Mall. Go to the Service Ontario at Bloor and Islington. It's in the Shipp Centre at 3300 Bloor West.
It's a big place, when I went it was 20 min. max. It's like the passport office, you get pre-screened then they give you a number.
It's only open Mon-Fri.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Milton on Hwy 25 is pretty good, but apparently it's scheduled for closing.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:45 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Francois, that avatar photo is awesome!
Old 08-27-2016, 10:15 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

In British Columbia for decades we had mandatory vehicle emissions testing, called "Aircare", It's been cancelled as of 2015 iirc.
Thankfully an example of government making a good decision...due to the results that almost all cars nowadays passed so what's the point except to **** over taxpayers.
On the other hand, in Canada we have a highway, the number 1, that goes from one end of the country to the other...
Here in BC, they recently upgraded the bridge called the Port Mann, from 3 lanes to 6 lanes, along with widening a significant portion of the highway in both directions. It's a toll bridge now, about $7 total... per day (back and forth trip)
(This upgrade has tremendously improved travel time, really, it's quite extraordinary the lack of gridlock so for some it is money well spent)
However, it's the only toll on the entire highway across canada, it costs the average worker about $1750 in after tax income each month, that they did not have to previously pay.
Our BC Govt loves to harp on about not rising income taxes, but they toll and fee and levy and ....the **** out of us here. (Their motto must be something about many ways to skin a cat lol)
Old 08-28-2016, 12:29 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Charlie, lucky timing.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Francois, that avatar photo is awesome!
+1

Quick Reply: Services Ontario - One Key online system is crap!