Drive 4 Smiles Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:31 PM
sg997tt
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive 4 Smiles Ontario

Rennlisters,

You can probably remember from your childhood that smile on your face and the joy, the first time you saw in person one of your dream cars or even better, had a chance to sit or take a ride in one. I am sure that same enthusiasm is still partially shared today every time you start the engine of your current favorite car.

This fall you will have the opportunity to share that same delight with a child who could truly benefit from the experience as well as get a chance to take your car for some enjoyable laps around a track at Mosport.

I am pleased, as co-chair with my son Kyle, to announce the Drive 4 Smiles Ontario event.

In conjunction with Starlight Foundation, D4SOntario is about celebrating our mutual passions and sharing our dream rides with seriously ill children. We aim to replace for a moment, the aches and tears from treatment, with a renewed smile and sense of strength and hope.

D4SOntario, is a rare charity event that not only allows you to see face to face the impact you can make by simply sharing your special car and associated enthusiasm with a child. D4SOntario also combines this with additional time for you to take your car for some solo laps around the track as well.

I truly believe D4SOntario will be a most memorable and gratifying day for each of us.

Please refer to our website for more details and how to get involved.

http://www.d4sontario.com

In order to help cover the costs we asking a minimum donation or sponsorship of $1000 per driver. There will be donation receipts provided.

Join us; together we can make a true and tangible difference in the lives of many brave and deserving children.

Please forward this event with your colleagues and contacts that you believe may want to participate. We are just getting started and can benefit from spreading the awareness.

I am not as familiar with the other non Porsche Forums - but happy to see any suggestions in the responses regarding where else to post. We will follow up with every suggestion.

Thank you,
Sven
Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

great initiative.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking into it...great idea.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

curious, did you intend to use almost the same name as UCR for a similar event (Driven 2 Smile)? If so is there any affiliation with that event?
I have participated in that event and it is very rewarding to be able to share our cars and fun with some children with challenges.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 PM
sg997tt
Cruisin'

Thanks you for those that are interested. There was no intention with the UCR event - was not aware.

This event has been taking place as well in Montreal under the Drive4Smiles banner - and will be occurring there this year again. It is with the same Charity - Starlight Foundation. I connected with them a couple of years ago to try and see about doing something in Ontario - thus the Drive4SmilesOntario title.

I truly believe it will be one of the most memorable charitable activities one can do - as you are right there face to face with impact you have on a child.
Plus you also have some time in the afternoon to enjoy your car at your "own pace".

Please help spread to others that you think may be interested.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

you may want to consider limiting this to experienced advanced drivers (didn't see this mentioned anywhere). The last thing anybody would want is an incident on track with kids in the car.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:56 PM
sg997tt
Cruisin'

Thanks for the suggestion. The track was chosen as a more controlled environment than the roadway. The assumption and instruction will be that the idea is not to test the car on the track as much as it is about taking the children for a ride in the car without the worry of traffic for that exact reason. Yes they will want to hear the engine and feel some acceleration - but safety will the first priority. The afternoon solo sessions are for the drivers to explore the car's limits on their own. Happy for additional feedback as well.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:45 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I have participated in that event and it is very rewarding to be able to share our cars and fun with some children with challenges.
X2 Jeff Pabst organizes an event at Mosport for Children's wish pretty much every year. For those interested in this type of charitable event it is a truly memorable experience to see the kids faces lite up at speed. Best year in the 996TT, young boy sat in the back and the mother in the front seat. You could see the anguish on her face disappear when they were in the car as the young boy lit up when I passed a Ferrari and a BMW on the back straight.

Link to my 2011 video of the event, and another fellow Rennlister participating pretty much every year. :thumbs:

https://vimeo.com/22619961

Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboS
X2 Jeff Pabst organizes an event at Mosport for Children's wish pretty much every year. For those interested in this type of charitable event it is a truly memorable experience to see the kids faces lite up at speed. Best year in the 996TT, young boy sat in the back and the mother in the front seat. You could see the anguish on her face disappear when they were in the car as the young boy lit up when I passed a Ferrari and a BMW on the back straight.

Link to my 2011 video of the event, and another fellow Rennlister participating pretty much every year. :thumbs:

https://vimeo.com/22619961

I participated in last years Children's Wish event. Best track day last season. The families thoroughly enjoy it. Lots of big smiles everywhere.

Very busy day of driving because someone was ready to jump in as soon as the passenger got out!

One thing though... the drivers mtg directed 60% speed but that lasted less than 30 minutes then engines were reving and tires were screeching. All the drivers possessed current competition licences for insurance requirements.

Might be a good idea to have very experienced drivers in one group and perhaps a second group in a 'no passing parade type' of group. Just saying this because it would be a shame to limit the number of cars available.

Quick Reply: Drive 4 Smiles Ontario