Notices

Monaco GP & Montreal GP

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:31 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Monaco GP & Montreal GP

Anyone here going to either races this year?

Going to both (with Wife at Monaco & Friends/clients at Montreal). Most likely driving up for the Montreal with the Porsche....
Old 04-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Last year was such a disappoint in Montreal that after 5 years, decided not to go. The combination of hardly anything worth watching when the F1 were not on the track, the quietness of the F1 cars (the Civics and Mazda's were louder than the F1 cars....what a shame) and finally the Holiday Inn figured out the loophole that allowed me to book the room at $150/ night instead of their F1 rate, was enough to throw in the towel. Might try the Toronto Indy instead this year or just stay home.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:27 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Will be at the Monaco race this year... lovely wife is taking me for my birthday. Headed to Barcelona for a week and then driving to Nice the weekend of the race. Should be fun.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Montreal yes! Can I tag along to any parties? Ill be quite at them

Going to try for Mexico this year as well
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Montreal, but a business excursion.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:56 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Imo000
Last year was such a disappoint in Montreal that after 5 years, decided not to go. The combination of hardly anything worth watching when the F1 were not on the track, the quietness of the F1 cars (the Civics and Mazda's were louder than the F1 cars....what a shame)
This. Why they can't figure out how to fill the time with something F1 race worthy is beyond me. Ok, not beyond. It's all about the money.....
Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

I somewhat agree.. The support races are bleh but the entry fees are very high so it keeps series away. I enjoyed the year with IMS GT3 and Classic F1.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Gregster
I somewhat agree.. The support races are bleh but the entry fees are very high so it keeps series away. I enjoyed the year with IMS GT3 and Classic F1.
I enjoyed that alot too but it was 3 years ago and doesn't look like either of them are coming back.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:13 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Last year was my first year attending. I must have been at a different race as I didn't see any Civics or Mazdas. Nissan Cup and Ferrari 458s were support races last year as I remember. Actually the Nissan Cup was good racing at times...arguably better than the F1.

My son and I are going again this year. He loved it last year, on the track and particularly off.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:32 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JTT
Last year was my first year attending. I must have been at a different race as I didn't see any Civics or Mazdas. Nissan Cup and Ferrari 458s were support races last year as I remember. Actually the Nissan Cup was good racing at times...arguably better than the F1.

My son and I are going again this year. He loved it last year, on the track and particularly off.
Nissan, Mazda, Honda... same 3 minute laps. I was there and it wasn't that exciting to watch. The Ferrari challenge was the best I had seen. We were in corner 6 and there had to have been 6 cars put out over the weekend.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Nissan, Mazda, Honda... same 3 minute laps. I was there and it wasn't that exciting to watch. The Ferrari challenge was the best I had seen. We were in corner 6 and there had to have been 6 cars put out over the weekend.
We were in 6 too. While I do agree it was a LONG time between them coming by, it's hard not to be entertained when they come through 6 three abreast....then tip over in the hairpin ...and get rolled back up and keep going!

Yeah, there was definitely lots of Ferrari carnage. Kind of a bizarre series though, as there seemed to be a handful of serious racers, a few more mid pack, and a bunch of what appeared to be street drivers with only the first couple of payments made on their cars.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Ill show up for the entire day on Friday, 30 mins before qualifying and an hour before the race start.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by JTT
We were in 6 too. While I do agree it was a LONG time between them coming by, it's hard not to be entertained when they come through 6 three abreast....then tip over in the hairpin ...and get rolled back up and keep going!

Yeah, there was definitely lots of Ferrari carnage. Kind of a bizarre series though, as there seemed to be a handful of serious racers, a few more mid pack, and a bunch of what appeared to be street drivers with only the first couple of payments made on their cars.
Because you never been there before, you don't know how much better it really used to be. They used to have the vintage F1s out, all the way from the 60-up. You could see, best and smell the evolution of the sport. Then the touring cars were there too, that was best to watch.

The Micra challlabge was entertaining because they were so pathetic that it was comical. Looked like someone rented a bunch of Micras and they went demo derbying. . I was so bored that was hoping that the grounds that ran out on the track was going to meet his maker when the Ferraris were running. . The GP weekend used to be so good. Right until the Porsche's stopped showing up (they were advertised to be there last year but they weren't). The dead time that lasted sometimes 90 minutes is inexcusable. If no one is booked, have the pit bikes/scooters do some laps...... Anything will do.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Careful what you ask for. A birdie whispered the Porsche GT's are back this year...

Old 04-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Careful what you ask for. A birdie whispered the Porsche GT's are back this year...

Last year they were listed on the official email schedule that I got from the F1a couple weeks before the weekend. Then when the weekend arrived, they were nowhere to be found. Talk about major disappointment. I even brought my Porsche flag to wear as a cape (which I did last year with a Canada flag ambrella hat).

Quick Reply: Monaco GP & Montreal GP