Notices

Warning re front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

I'm so happy the police officer took time to stop you, sit his/her fat *** in their patrol car to write you the ticket and then proceed to waddle back to their car. I mean, I'm sure there was nothing better they could be doing...
Old 05-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Just got my first warning last night. Oh well. The tow hook mount interferes with my proximity sensors.
I run the Rho Plate v2 as it allows for adjustment to clear the front parking sensors. Works well enough for me, after 3 no front plate tickets in 4 months (including an aggressive threat by the cop during my 3rd ticket) I figured I needed to do something to take the heat off.

The blue 991 pictured is actually my car too...

https://www.rho-plate.com/collection...e-v2-2012-2016
Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I went 11 yrs without a front plate on 3 different 911s.
Last summer luck ran out, was stopped for a minor speeding infraction, officer noticed "no front plate". Received a warning on the speeding but was given a $110 fine for no plate... Later installed the front plate on 991.1 Turbo.

I've had the 991.2 car for ~1k kms (3-4 weeks) but still haven't drilled holes in the front bumper.......
Old 05-20-2017, 12:00 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

problem with no front plate is it gives the officer a reason to pull you over and waste your time. after 2 tickets i put one on my car. If your going 10-15 over he now has a reason to give u 2 tickets and will most likely stick you with one and play it off like hes doing you a favour by just giving you one.

I loved the look but hated the fact that when i seen a radar i was on edge weather hed pull me over or not.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:13 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

its very easy to modify an oem 911 front plate holder so that it mounts pretty much the same way (under and inside the air dam mouth) as the aftermarket ones that avoid visible front bumper holes. costs next to nothing too and plate holder modification will still ensure rock solid fitment in terms of holding the plate holder, (avoiding scratches on the bumper since no flopping around) the typical 'skene bracket' uses the exact same under-mount drill method (non-visible even when the front plate is removed). for those of you that have to have the plate removed for special occasions (ie. the rare photoshoot or event) it doest take more then a few minutes to remove a few screws via this method. i think i removed the plate once once in almost half a decade for a recent photoshoot and that was it.

i don't get the obsession of avoiding a front plate all together - and am frankly shocked that there is so much demand that a niche division of (mostly poorly engineered) non-front bumper drilling plate holders is available.

i've had friends who have taken the gamble to avoid a front plate all together, and of course have been fined for it (a few times even), not to mention it gave the police an opportunity to comb thru their cars to find other 'infractions'... i mean who has the time to attract and sit thru that sort of thing over and over again?

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Wonder what the adhesive will do to the paint over time?
i believe some stone guard removals have ripped paint off the car, so i supposed it is possible to cause paint damage.

Originally Posted by StanThePorscheFan
Why not just have a plate where it should be?
Originally Posted by Bacura
Also, to ME there is nothing uglier than the plate off to the side.
Originally Posted by 911 Rod
So putting the plate off to the side or using a sticker is not tacky?
couldn't agree more - i found the tow hook solution, to ruin the face of a beautiful car, it's as if someones mouth was permanently moved underneath one of their eyes

Last edited by myw; 05-20-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

So I got an email back from a vendor saying that their solution is to cover the ultrasonic sensor right behind their plate mount with a "sensor blinder", essentially a foam pad which blinds the sensor. Anyone heard of this? As I already have a tow-point plate holder, does anyone know of a source? The Googster appears not to, but it's tough searching for these things anymore.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:33 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Better yet, we could ALL sign something like this...http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Ont_Front_Plate/
With a new gov perhaps it's time to resurrect this idea?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:29 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
Nicely done right down to the reflective surface. Thought this wasn't legal.
Not sure I should add fuel to the fire on this thread but what would happen if you bent the top of the plate to match the curve of the bumper and velcroed it to the front bumper? It would look just like this but be the legally issued plate mounted to the front of the car to be compliant with RTA.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:47 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
Not sure I should add fuel to the fire on this thread but what would happen if you bent the top of the plate to match the curve of the bumper and velcroed it to the front bumper? It would look just like this but be the legally issued plate mounted to the front of the car to be compliant with RTA.
I don't think velcro would qualify as permanently affixed.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:11 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

Nope and it would be safety hazard if it were to fly off the car and hit someone.

I agree that front plates are stupid, but it's the law and why increase your chances of being hassled for something you don't see when your driving?

If the province did kill the front plates they could save a ton by having people with pealing plates (usually only one of the 2) move the good one to the back and be done with it. LOL
Old 11-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Nope and it would be safety hazard if it were to fly off the car and hit someone.

I agree that front plates are stupid, but it's the law and why increase your chances of being hassled for something you don't see when your driving?

If the province did kill the front plates they could save a ton by having people with pealing plates (usually only one of the 2) move the good one to the back and be done with it. LOL
... makes too much sense.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Many, many years ago, when I was at SLAC (you high energy types know what I mean), there was someone who occasionally drive his Lotus 7 to work. He took the CA black plate (black with orange letters) drilled out all the black parts and put it flat against his black radiator. By removing out all the black, he didn't really interrupt much of the airflow to the radiator and met all the CA requirement for from mounting the license plate. Additionally, because of the reset radiator in the front cowling of theLotus 7, you couldn't even see it from anywhere except directly in front of the Lotus
Now that CA has brought back black plates, (and those of you in states that have black plates), this might be something to think about.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:50 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

no plans to ever put a front plate on
Old 11-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

No plans not to have a front late - -never understood this ,but maybe its because I am European and spend enough time in Germany that I see all kinds of performance cars, all with front plates. I drilled all three RSs, Panamera and my other cars. I tend to keep my cars so no interest in resale value. Just don't need to give the police an excuse to stop me,
Old 11-26-2018, 11:20 AM
YVR74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Rho plate but i don’t normally have it on. So the other day I’m driving down the Trans Canada and officer Leroy pulls me over for no front plate. I was ok with the ticket but he broke into a speech about how “you guys with these sports cars seem to think your exempt from the law”....blah, blah, blah. The RCMP preaching about following the law? I can’t even turn on the news these days without seeing a story about the police doing something stupid.

Quick Reply: Warning re front license plate