Warning re front license plate

Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
left lane is for passing period.
Who said anything about driving over the speed limit.

there are lots of laws that have been around for over 100 years, they are supposed to enforce laws that make economic sense to enforce, and provide benefit to the public. Front license plate enforcement does not make any sense nor benefit the public in any way. When cars leave the scene of a crime they don;t drive backwards
Who did?? You did.

According to law, the left lane IS for passing but that doesn't allow you to go faster than the posted speed limit. As far as the law goes, there is no excuse to pass the posted speed limit. This limit is the MAXIMUM you are allowed to go and not the minimum as you are implying.

Reality is completely different but the police is only there to enforce existing laws. If you want a change, change the HTA and then the cops can enforce the new legislation.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoever invented putting velcro on the front plate should get a Nobel prize for that. (double intentional ironybtw).
Yup
Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Who did?? You did.

According to law, the left lane IS for passing but that doesn't allow you to go faster than the posted speed limit. As far as the law goes, there is no excuse to pass the posted speed limit. This limit is the MAXIMUM you are allowed to go and not the minimum as you are implying.

Reality is completely different but the police is only there to enforce existing laws. If you want a change, change the HTA and then the cops can enforce the new legislation.
You sound like a cop
Old 02-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

they want it on so they can zap you with laser radar.
I would rather have the police enforce other laws like driving under the speed limit in the left lane
is this where you think I said I drive over the speed limit?

I do as every person on this forum does but I didn't say it in this thread until now.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Started without a front plate, but tow hook mount now. No way drilling any holes. Anyone have the vinyl "make believe licence plate" that is a peel and stick?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Started without a front plate, but tow hook mount now. No way drilling any holes. Anyone have the vinyl "make believe licence plate" that is a peel and stick?
Not sure that's worth the risk of being charged with "counterfeit" plate, even if you can prove the plate number belongs to you.

I wonder if there is case law out there referencing if this is, or is not allowed.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:01 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

the fake plate is bad idea IMO, also don't put it in the windshield or similar, gets the wrong attention.
Personally, very much dislike the tow-hook plate mounts, but can understand if bumper isn't drilled...if it is, get that 'thing' off there
Better yet, we could ALL sign something like this...http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Ont_Front_Plate/
Old 02-15-2016, 01:40 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Not sure that's worth the risk of being charged with "counterfeit" plate, even if you can prove the plate number belongs to you.

I wonder if there is case law out there referencing if this is, or is not allowed.
if you read the actual law, I believe it says something like the plates must be issued by ministry. However I do know a few cars that have the stickers and don't get hassled...yet.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

is this where you think I said I drive over the speed limit?

I do as every person on this forum does but I didn't say it in this thread until now.
Yup!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by kkabba
You sound like a cop
I work in traffic engineering where everyone with a driver's licence THINKS they are a traffic expert.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I won't put on a front plate. No chance. Stupid law and I'll pay the fine if necessary.
I was in the same boat as you and ran with no front plate on my GTS for a good 6-7 months with zero issues but then things went downhill quickly. I got 2 tickets in August/September which I paid no problems; issue was the third time I got pulled over again in early November. Not only did I get another ticket the cop looked up my history and said he can see that I've been ignoring the previous tickets. Guy wasn't a jerk about it but he said if he pulls me over again for this he is going to give me a notice to appear before a judge to explain why I haven't fixed the issue. Particularly problematic since it was a local cop around the corner from my house.

As others have mentioned I don't mind the fine honestly but the ongoing hassle and potential time wasted just isn't worth it for me... I have a tow hook mount now and no issues since putting it on. Note I live in downtown Toronto too which has generally known to be pretty lenient on front plates. No longer apparently.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

I read about the summons part as well for multiple occurrences, in this day and age it takes them all of 2 minutes to run your complete history in the cruiser.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
I read about the summons part as well for multiple occurrences, in this day and age it takes them all of 2 minutes to run your complete history in the cruiser.
Yep. He gave me the info on the summons/order to appear and I looked it up, it is legit. I can't recall off hand what the code was though.

That part is certainly far worse than the $110 fine itself...
Old 02-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yep. He gave me the info on the summons/order to appear and I looked it up, it is legit. I can't recall off hand what the code was though.

That part is certainly far worse than the $110 fine itself...
From the reading that I've done, there also may be an insurance issue if you have 3 or more non-moving violations on your record. Not sure on this, but could end up being far more expensive that a few $110 fines...
Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

2 problems with the tow hook solution. First,it interferes with my front proximity sensor. Secondly, it is horribly ugly. So ugly, that I would (and did) drill into the front bumper for the normal plate mount. If the law changes to eliminate the front plate (which will hopefully happen) I will go to Pfaff auto body and have it repaired. /shrug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warning re front license plate