Notices

Warning re front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill

Hi Ronan, can you provide some details about shipping your car to Europe? This is something I am contemplating too. How long does it take to ship there and back? How does insurance work?

Thanks. Joe
It's a bit complicated.
I am using an organization called C.A.R.S ( Classic Auto Relocations services) . ViaMar in Toronto is also worth talking to.

(1) You need to make sure you have full brokerage etc to get it through customs
(2) Very visible modifications might be a problem
(3) Two kinds of insurance. Transit insurance is usually 1% of the vehicle value each way
(4) Cost depends on how you want to do it..you could drive to Halifax and do RoRo..much cheaper, or go the full end-to-end. Best and most expensive is an individual container. In my case am containerizing Toronto to Frankfurt and picking up and returning there.
(5) You need four weeks for each crossing generally, and need to allow some slack for delays.
(6) You need to arrange road insurance through your broker. This was quite easy last time I did it.
(7) if you use nav system in your car it will probably not work so you will need alternatives.

Last edited by Ronan; 02-11-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 AM
matt3rs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
Pulling this back on track! A little birdie told me recently that front plates are being cancelled in Ontario next March/April.
Just found out New Brunswick is removing their front licence plate. Not much reporting on it but found this article.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5077931/n...-plate-budget/

Is there hope for Ontario to follow suit now.... could this be just a coincidence that it happened in the exact time frame your little birdie mentioned?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 AM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I hope Ontario follows we are in the minority. That means only Ontario, BC and Manitoba require front plates, the other ten provinces and territories don't require one.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:11 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

I really don't get this completely irrational obsession with front license plate removal. Front plates are required in every civilized country in the world, period. If you are so against it, don't buy a freakin' car for road use.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
I really don't get this completely irrational obsession with front license plate removal. Front plates are required in every civilized country in the world, period. If you are so against it, don't buy a freakin' car for road use.
Completely irrational obsession? The plates are an aesthetic affront to the design on the car, many regions of "civilized" countries don't require them (well, that's if you consider the francophones civilized), and there is no evidence that it makes the roads/cars/drivers any safer.

There is nothing wrong with questioning why a rule/law exists, and what the evidence is to support such laws. In fact, blindly following authority without question is hardly the way to progress. Try not to get stuck in pre-conventional decision making.

Kohlberg sums it up nicely:

Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Please spare me the libertarian psychobabble. If you want to purchase a car for its aesthetic affront alone, you are most certainly not required to put plates on it. You only need the plates if you intend to operate it on public roads, where different (societal) rules apply. Clothes are an aesthetic affront, and whining about having to have a front license plate on public roads is akin to whining about not being allowed in the office or restaurant because you are not wearing a shirt. As for regions of civilized countries that don't require them, you must be referring to some states and provinces in North America... where unfortunately most of us are indeed not civilized.

If you want to start a discussion on this, I am all for it, but I'd suggest we do so in another thread.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Please spare me the libertarian psychobabble. If you want to purchase a car for its aesthetic affront alone, you are most certainly not required to put plates on it. You only need the plates if you intend to operate it on public roads, where different (societal) rules apply.
I'll try to keep the syllable count lower. Apologies.
Good for you for unquestionably following the rules. Remember that Oceania is now our enemy, not Eastasia.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:01 PM
matt3rs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Rower
Completely irrational obsession? The plates are an aesthetic affront to the design on the car, many regions of "civilized" countries don't require them (well, that's if you consider the francophones civilized), and there is no evidence that it makes the roads/cars/drivers any safer.

There is nothing wrong with questioning why a rule/law exists, and what the evidence is to support such laws. In fact, blindly following authority without question is hardly the way to progress. Try not to get stuck in pre-conventional decision making.

Kohlberg sums it up nicely:

Don't be so harsh on the guy, I'd say he's somewhere between stage 3 and 4.
He's right though, since I am so irrationally obsessed with front plate removal, the only right thing to do is to sell my car and take the transit. Who am I kidding?

Honestly though, I wasn't even going to give him a response. When every point that was made is so fundamentally wrong, it would take more effort to respond than it is deserved. Plus, I didn't want to steer the thread off track by arguing over some irrelevant comment. That being said, you nailed it.

Fingers crossed we do follow suit. Any insider updates from little birdies would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:27 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

LOL. I guess having to have numbers and/or decals on your track and race car(s) must be an absolute nightmare then. If you are so upset with having two small identification plates on your aesthetically perfect masterpiece, I can't even fathom the horror of having to put even larger number decals and all sorts of sticker on your track car. I am sure you have expessed your dissatisfaction to the PCA and whatever regulator body oversees your racing activities.

It's a freakin' identification marking required by a regulatory body that indeed serves a valid and reasonable purpose, on a vehicle that you VOLUNTARILY CHOOSE to drive within the boundaries where the rules of said regulatory body apply. Get over it.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

...It's a freakin' identification marking required by a regulatory body that indeed serves a valid and reasonable purpose, on a vehicle that you VOLUNTARILY CHOOSE to drive within the boundaries where the rules of said regulatory body apply. Get over it.
Which is what, exactly? No need to yell or replace g's with apostrohes.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I choose not have a front plate on my 928 (flew off 15 years ago somewhere on the 401) and only got a ticket once. Figured it's the cost of playing the game.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Easy (and uniform) external identification of said vehicle for regulatory and rule/law enforcement purposes.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I choose not have a front plate on my 928 (flew off 15 years ago somewhere on the 401) and only got a ticket once. Figured it's the cost of playing the game.
Same here, since 2005 I've receive 0 warnings and only 1 fine on 5 different 911s.
Not getting my panties in a twist over it, as some might....
Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

I too sometimes choose to disobey the rules and/or the law, and moreover I certainly disagree with certain provisions of it - but that doesn't mean that the rules and/or the law themselves are unreasonable and that they need to be changed to allow what I think I should be able to do.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:58 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Some of us in this thread are interested in knowing if Ontario will join the majority of provinces and territories in Canada by changing the rule/requirement to a rear plate only. 10 out of 13 provinces and territories and growing have found that a rear plate only is adequate.

Quick Reply: Warning re front license plate