Notices

24 Hours of Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:57 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 Hours of Daytona

Really enjoying the streaming coverage of the race at IMSA.COM.... Should be a good race in GTD for the last 2.5 hours. Log-on and watch if you are not doing anything. Nice to see Lamborghini, Corvette, Ford, Audi, Porsche, and Ferrari all competing again...
Old 01-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
Old 01-31-2016, 05:04 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any one know if Lance Stroll competed in the 24hrs? The young Quebecer was supposed to drive the Ford of Chip Ganassi Racing.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

He did.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:08 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I caught most of the race..great finish
Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
He did.
Yes, and I may have to reevaluate my opinion of him after this race. He didn't put a foot wrong as long as we talk about the race, (not practice where he trashed the front end of the 01). He was faster then a former F1 driver and stopped in the pits in the right spot every time. If he continues to mature he may become a very good racer and make it into F1 on merit instead of money.

The DP's are not the easiest car to control on cold tires I've been told, (no tire warmers allowed) so he isn't the first driver to crash on an out lap in one and considering his lack of experience he did quite well so full marks today. I noted a NASCAR driver crashed the other sister car 02 and wrote it off...
Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 AM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TW thanks for the update, missed the race this weekend. Good to see he did well. As we have seen in the past it takes more than talent to get a seat in F1, his chances are good.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster dude
TW thanks for the update, missed the race this weekend. Good to see he did well. As we have seen in the past it takes more than talent to get a seat in F1, his chances are good.
Lots of Monday morning musings on Corvette sandbagging! This series has a balance of performance (BoP) that IMSA monitor before the season and during. The sudden improvements in the Vettes lap times from earlier testing is suspect now. The scam here is that IMSA won't do anything until after Sebring... GM ONLY care about Daytona and Sebring - the rest of the season - Meh. They gain all of their PR for the year from these two races.

Porsche and Ferrari are said to be pis$ed off looking at the numbers right now. Does it surprise anyone that the France family don't give a crap if a 'furin' manufacturer doesn't win and a 'merican' company does? It's their playpen mode. This is why the ACO and FIA have so little respect for US racing when they see such manipulations.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I found the final few hours a bit odd and the battle between the Corvettes somewhat synthetic to be honest.

If Lance doesn't make it to F1 I bet he will have a seat in WEC. The kid has a ton of talent regardless of his dad paying the way. I have no issues with it
Old 02-01-2016, 01:02 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Porsche and Ferrari are said to be pis$ed off looking at the numbers right now. Does it surprise anyone that the France family don't give a crap if a 'furin' manufacturer doesn't win and a 'merican' company does? It's their playpen mode. This is why the ACO and FIA have so little respect for US racing when they see such manipulations.
I will 100% admit that the parity rules are totally suspect and weigh in favour of Corvette. But it's only a matter of time until somebody figures out (or lands on dumb luck) that a battle between Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, and BMW will attract a larger audience than a constantly winning Corvette. The Vette audience is already watching NASCAR, watching football/baseball, or sleeping off a cocaine high they got while working at the club they own.

The audience, or lack of, will hopefully persuade better parity rules.

Talking about parity. I noticed in the Conti race on Friday that a Honda Civic was pulling on a Cayman while exiting onto the oval and after exiting the bus stop. o.O As if a Porsche Cayman fan would continue to watch that race...

2016 Civic SI Coupe factory specs - 205bhp/170lb-ft and 3002 lbs on 225 tires square.

2016 Cayman factor specs - 275bhp/213lb-ft and 2880 lbs on 235/265 stagger.

That's just total BS manipulation by Honda and IMSA... Honda has always had a mafia like presence at the rules of many road race rules table since the RealTime Racing team. I remember the NSX was allowed to install a super charger to make it competitive... Why not Nitrous and a tube frame chassis?!?

That's just one reason why I am not a Honda/Acura fan... anyhow.

Regardless, the race was awesome! (oh ya... A Honda engine won... go figure...)

Quick Reply: 24 Hours of Daytona