Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   OT: New Used Car Safety Standards on the way. (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/914371-ot-new-used-car-safety-standards-on-the-way.html)

RGJ 01-19-2016 09:55 PM

OT: New Used Car Safety Standards on the way.

:grr:

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/01/18/se...ion-standards/

Christien 01-19-2016 10:07 PM

This is good. It's long overdue. There are far too many sh!tboxes on the road, and there are way too many things that can get past a safety. Believe me, I've worked in the industry for almost 15 years. Ditch the e-test and make cars safer - that's where we should be looking.

Brian 162 01-19-2016 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Christien (Post 12941706)
This is good. It's long overdue. There are far too many sh!tboxes on the road, and there are way too many things that can get past a safety. Believe me, I've worked in the industry for almost 15 years. Ditch the e-test and make cars safer - that's where we should be looking.

If they wanted to weed out the ****boxes on the road they should have a yearly vehicle inspection like they have on large commercial vehicles.
I agree, get rid of Drive Clean.

993GT 01-19-2016 10:32 PM

agree we need to get the crap off the road, but this won't do anything...how will it stop people getting a 'hot' safety...
Worried about the currently undefined limits on suspension, brake etc...modifications?
DriveClean is DirtyMoney...doesn't help the environment at all and costs many people money(who most often don't have it)

Turbodan 01-19-2016 10:33 PM

I think this is a cash grab. some of the new rules don't make any sense: no spacers allowed on wheels...race cars use them why can't we? This will cause a lot of headaches for buying or selling a used car. Guess this will create a lot of waste as cars go to the scrapper.

993GT 01-19-2016 10:35 PM

+1, and about spacers, many cars come with them from the factory, 'safe' for the road or a safety-fail?
Onterrible....

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 12941789)
I think this is a cash grab. some of the new rules don't make any sense: no spacers allowed on wheels...race cars use them why can't we? This will cause a lot of headaches for buying or selling a used car. Guess this will create a lot of waste as cars go to the scrapper.

Ronan 01-19-2016 10:39 PM

Will mean that car modification will have to be very carefully judged, nonetheless.
Not much experience in this area, but when I sold my M6 we just went to Service Ontario and did the transfer. Car was six years old and perfect as it happened, but there seemed to be nothing required other than five minutes of paperwork on a private sale.
This was about three or four years ago. When would there have had to be a safety inspection?

993GT 01-19-2016 10:41 PM

Currently a safety is valid for 36days, if you bought and sold the car within that time frame the safety is still valid during the re-sale. Etest valid for 1 year for ownership transfer, 2 year for plate sticker renewal
Otherwise, you essentially sold it 'as-is'

Originally Posted by Ronan (Post 12941814)
Will mean that car modification will have to be very carefully judged, nonetheless.
Not much experience in this area, but when I sold my M6 we just went to Service Ontario and did the transfer. Car was six years old and perfect as it happened, but there seemed to be nothing required other than five minutes of paperwork on a private sale.
This was about three or four years ago. When would there have had to be a safety inspection?

Ronan 01-19-2016 10:45 PM

Cas was indeed sold "as is". I had invited the buyer to bring it for a full inspection if he wished but he was happy to take the car as it was.

Although it was six years old it only has 36000km on it.

Turbodan 01-20-2016 02:02 AM

so he just registered the car in his name as "unfit" and then got the safety and etest if needed, and then got plates and registered it as fit.

Christien 01-20-2016 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Brian 162 (Post 12941720)
If they wanted to weed out the ****boxes on the road they should have a yearly vehicle inspection like they have on large commercial vehicles.
I agree, get rid of Drive Clean.

I agree, yearly inspections are a good idea. Maybe every other year, or even every 5 years, but to be able to keep a car on the road for 20 years with no inspection makes no sense. My 43-year-old 911 could be a completely unsafe sh!tbox, but it would still be perfectly legal to drive.

Originally Posted by Ronan (Post 12941832)
Cas was indeed sold "as is". I had invited the buyer to bring it for a full inspection if he wished but he was happy to take the car as it was.

Although it was six years old it only has 36000km on it.

He would have had to transfer it "unfit" without a valid safety certificate, which means it can't be driven on the road, unless he got a trip permit for it.

theiceman 01-20-2016 09:58 AM

wow oil leaks will fail a safety ?

say goodbye to just about every aircooled 911 on the road as well as just about every Audi ever built.

Torontoworker 01-20-2016 09:59 AM

The one person in Ontario that you CAN transfer a car to without a safety inspection - is your spouse. The *theory* here is that you're not trying to kill your spouse. :icon501:

Imo000 01-20-2016 10:35 AM

All the hype about unsafe $hitboxes running around but I yet to see any figures indicating that there are vehicles out there causing collissions because of this. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the yearly safety inspections like they do in many other parts of the World but I think this is just another cash grab.

Edit: Just read the article. I thought you didn't even need an engine to get a safety. The article states it had to get the vehicle up to 60km/h. Is this true?

993GT 01-20-2016 10:58 AM

When buying a currently plated/'on-road' car, do not register it as 'unfit', keep it 'fit' registered(by having insurance when you register it and get temp. plates) so you can still drive the car to get a safety/etest...registering as unfit means it has to be towed