OT: Uber vs Taxi

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:07 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Uber vs Taxi

So I took my first Uber ride.

My wife and kids are lucky enough to live in Clearwater (Tampa), Florida over the winter months. (Kids are home schooled, we can debate that another day.). My wife also doesn't like driving on Florida highways with the kids in the minivan. Which leaves me to take a limo or taxi to/from the Tampa airport every week or two. Yesterday I decided to try Uber for the first time because the Taxi service in Clearwater/Tampa is sketchy compared to Toronto. (yes I am serious. Taxi drivers in the area all seem to be skids from the northern states, half on meth, half alcoholics, stories for another day.) The limo service in the area is outstanding, but expensive ($90us) and with our current exchange rate its more like $120-$130cdn.

The overall experience was great! The Kia Soul and the driver where not really to my preference, but for $28us and not having to tip, I couldn't complain. I thought I would definitely use this again!

I landed in Toronto, no bags to pick-up, walked through customs with the Nexus pass, and opened up Uber for a quote to get home. What?!?! $120cdn?!? Really?!?... So I walked outside and grabbed a nice comfortable limo home for $60cdn. Driver didn't talk, which was nice, drove very well, knew where my house was, and the ride was smooth.

So far I learned to always check Uber as an option, but not use it as a default choice... I am travelling to 4 different US cities in the next 3 months, probably taking 10-20 cab or Uber rides around the GTA, so I have some more learning to do and looking forward to comparing the experiences.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:14 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
So I took my first Uber ride.

My wife and kids are lucky enough to live in Clearwater (Tampa), Florida over the winter months. (Kids are home schooled, we can debate that another day.). My wife also doesn't like driving on Florida highways with the kids in the minivan. Which leaves me to take a limo or taxi to/from the Tampa airport every week or two. Yesterday I decided to try Uber for the first time because the Taxi service in Clearwater/Tampa is sketchy compared to Toronto. (yes I am serious. Taxi drivers in the area all seem to be skids from the northern states, half on meth, half alcoholics, stories for another day.) The limo service in the area is outstanding, but expensive ($90us) and with our current exchange rate its more like $120-$130cdn.

The overall experience was great! The Kia Soul and the driver where not really to my preference, but for $28us and not having to tip, I couldn't complain. I thought I would definitely use this again!

I landed in Toronto, no bags to pick-up, walked through customs with the Nexus pass, and opened up Uber for a quote to get home. What?!?! $120cdn?!? Really?!?... So I walked outside and grabbed a nice comfortable limo home for $60cdn. Driver didn't talk, which was nice, drove very well, knew where my house was, and the ride was smooth.

So far I learned to always check Uber as an option, but not use it as a default choice... I am travelling to 4 different US cities in the next 3 months, probably taking 10-20 cab or Uber rides around the GTA, so I have some more learning to do and looking forward to comparing the experiences.
Agree to always check the prices. We took an Uber black car (actually a Lincoln SUV) to the airport when we left for Florida (Dec. 18) and it was $78. Took a standard airport limo from Pearson to our house on Dec. 26 and it was $46 (plus I tipped the guy $10). Neither talked so I was happy
Old 01-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

What Uber "level" did you choose that estimated a $120 fare? And how far were you going?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:18 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crester
What Uber "level" did you choose that estimated a $120 fare? And how far were you going?
UberX going to Leslieville/Beaches area from Pearson. The level up was even more expensive. I did check as I was wondering what was going on... This was around 5pm on a Sunday evening. We did not hit traffic on the way, and I could see 4-5 Uber cars circling the airport on the app. No notification of surge charging or anything like that either...
Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Kelvin38
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was using the uber app at Pearson the other night and it's my first time using it but I don't think UberX was an option there. I only had UberSelect and UberTaxi. Maybe it was the same for you?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
UberX going to Leslieville/Beaches area from Pearson. The level up was even more expensive. I did check as I was wondering what was going on... This was around 5pm on a Sunday evening. We did not hit traffic on the way, and I could see 4-5 Uber cars circling the airport on the app. No notification of surge charging or anything like that either...
That doesn't sound right at all... I've taken an Uber Black (SUV) to Pearson from Leslieville at normal fares and it was around $100. UberX should be like $50 at most.

Back to the original post, I use Uber all the time and it is fantastic... work/personal and for both travel and lunch. I will use UberX 100% of the time vs hailing a cab but if the wait is too long I'll order an UberTaxi so that I don't have to worry about payment.

That said the only time I don't use Uber is for airport limos to/from Pearson, that racket is locked down and the flat rate aiport limo fares are actually relatively reasonable ($55 from my house to Pearson). That is the only remotely acceptable taxi offering in the GTA mind you, regular cabs (service + pricing) stink.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Banned

Why would you ever choose über x over uber black
Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Very strange. Uber black from the airport to Mimico: $48 on Dec 10
Old 01-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
That said the only time I don't use Uber is for airport limos to/from Pearson, that racket is locked down and the flat rate airport limo fares are actually relatively reasonable ($55 from my house to Pearson). That is the only remotely acceptable taxi offering in the GTA mind you, regular cabs (service + pricing) stink.
+1, $40 (inc tip) for me to Pearson using the flat rate airport limo, driver's don't talk and lots of room in their cars for luggage.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 PM
PPo
Drifting

That doesn't sound right at all... I've taken an Uber Black (SUV) to Pearson from Leslieville at normal fares and it was around $100. UberX should be like $50 at most.

That said the only time I don't use Uber is for airport limos to/from Pearson, that racket is locked down and the flat rate aiport limo fares are actually relatively reasonable ($55 from my house to Pearson). That is the only remotely acceptable taxi offering in the GTA mind you, regular cabs (service + pricing) stink.
I am not new to technology or apps by any means (not saying that you claimed that! ;-) )... in fact it's how I make a living, so I don't think it was user error. I queried for quotes a few times over the course of getting off the plane and outside of the airport. I even checked again while in the Limo... every time, UberX was more expensive.

Just to be sure, I checked this morning, and it was only about $25 to get to my office. That is significantly cheaper than a taxi, so it seems to be working.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 PM
PPo
Drifting

Agreed. I also thought about trying UP train to get to Union just for the experience, and then taking Uber to get home... then my brain punched me in the face and told me to smarten up and take a Limo.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I usually take Uber from the west island of Montreal to Downtown and back for about 25$ each way. Taxi ride would be about 50-70$ one way.. I just wish they were a tad more consistent with choosing drivers and cars. I commented to the driver last week that his car was in dire need of suspension work to which he replied it recently passed "inspection" and another driver didn't speak English or French. Sadly there are loopholes in the policy were an owner of a car can have multiple drivers on one account.

People locally were paying 7x-9x Surge pricing on NYE/Day then complained to the media about it. While I agree that was excessive you are warned about it way in advance about pricing.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:34 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1965356
Why would you ever choose über x over uber black
Some of us don't have access to the same piles of money as you and we have to make budget choices. I used to have that kind of money, but I spent it all on alcohol and woman... I am old, fat, and ugly so the woman are more expensive for me.

But honestly, in Tampa, the only choice on a Sunday morning was UberX. At Pearson, the other choices where more expensive than a limo...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:36 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gregster
While I agree that was excessive you are warned about it way in advance about pricing.
That's why I am wondering why they complained AFTER the ride... even drunk you can figure out that the price is wacko. Cheaper to get arrested for disorderly conduct and sleep in jail.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Agreed. I also thought about trying UP train to get to Union just for the experience, and then taking Uber to get home... then my brain punched me in the face and told me to smarten up and take a Limo.
The train is good but pricey and if you are traveling with someone taking a cab makes more sense.

Quick Reply: OT: Uber vs Taxi