Notices

New Ontario 'safety' car regulations... $hit Storm starts now...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New Ontario 'safety' car regulations... $hit Storm starts now...

Wynne has some bull$hit coming this July that has revamped the 'safety' certificate for Ontario that when you buy or sell will impact you if said vehicle 'appears' to have ANY non OEM modifications or parts 'not to OEM standards'. (Grey area)

It appears to me that its 'intention' was to target the kids running weird coloured headlights and modified suspensions to get that squat look or massive negative camber but of course like anything she touches, it turns brown and now it threatens to put after market parts firms out of business.

It is mentioning a ban on non OEM tinting done after Jan 1st 2017 as well as non OEM exhausts non OEM tire sizes ETC ETC.

At first blush it does appear that all this legislation appears to be doing is mandating Transport Canada regulations as to how the vehicle was imported to Canada or its certification standard.

But some of the way the legislation is written appears to 'reward' the OEM parts industry...

The previous standards (still in affect) are pretty clear on safety items such as modified exhausts that would clearly affect emissions or blue headlights that even a brain dead mechanic wouldn't sign off on. Tire safety standards were clear but the new standard looks pretty **** to me.

In my view cracking down on shady mechanics that pass a car for a quick palm greasing was a larger issue.

Whats the collective opinion on this around here? The tuner and after market parts industry is slowly waking up to this but at this point haven't taken to the streets jumping on cars and blocking traffic.

Here is the link to the document:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...n-standard.pdf
Old 12-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

This is a nanny state gone mad, spendaholics,regulators, big state policies. It always involves "revenue tools" somewhere,more test fees, more fines and so on.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:32 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this happens I am buying a very small place in a non-nanny state and registering all my cars there...
Old 12-10-2015, 12:53 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

brutal , Onterrible's continually getting S*** on
Old 12-10-2015, 12:54 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
This is a nanny state gone mad, spendaholics,regulators, big state policies. It always involves "revenue tools" somewhere,more test fees, more fines and so on.
+1but ya gotta blame those who voted for her. I think we know who they are. Witch hunt anyone?
Old 12-10-2015, 01:41 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its still pretty open for interpretation.

but thats bs if it gives any safety inspector more room to screw you over.

If it becomes THAT bad I would honestly consider moving. Would be the final nail in the coffin for me.

I hope those in that industry really make a big deal about this.

why do they keep trying to implement **** california has done(and failed at)?
Old 12-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Will the Police start enforcing those drop in HID headlights that are out there?
Any plans for annual or by annual safety inspections? Now THAT would make a lot more sense than anything we have now.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

cost of safety will increase dramatically. I was presented this info at our last appraiser's meeting for PAVE. safety's will cost around $500. Total BS.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't know why the auto and oil industries can't learn from the NRA, the best run lobby group in existence. Consoling your enemies clearly doesn't work.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

The window film companies had a strong association and I expect they'll be lobbying anytime time soon. The way the reg is written it will kill the after market film business.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
The window film companies had a strong association and I expect they'll be lobbying anytime time soon. The way the reg is written it will kill the after market film business.
It won't matter. The police have a much stronger lobby, and were very helpful to Wynne in the last election. Police officers really dislike dark tinted windows as they don't allow them to see inside the vehicle.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:03 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbodan
cost of safety will increase dramatically. I was presented this info at our last appraiser's meeting for PAVE. safety's will cost around $500. Total BS.
wat

wowowow. so this is how they are trying to reduce our traffic problems?

build the exact same malls and big box garbage everywhere. make driving insanely expensive and no one will drive anymore?
Old 12-10-2015, 06:31 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Sounds like the Auto Insurance Companies made a donation to her favourite charity.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Sounds like the Auto Insurance Companies made a donation to her favourite charity.
They actually are smarter than that - they are like the beer industry in that they donate to all three parties.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It couldn't be any worse than drive clean.

Quick Reply: New Ontario 'safety' car regulations... $hit Storm starts now...