Old 11-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Victoria to tofino
Old 11-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Agreed but wait for Fanny Bay it's his backyard and he rides motorcycles, they always have the best routes
Old 11-07-2015, 01:26 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favourite route is the Gold River run from Campbell River to Gold River (just as scenic as the Tofino run but a tenth of the traffic and no RCMP). The Tofino run should be pretty quiet this time of year though! For a great rip the Strathcona Parkway up to mount Washington is a fun ride but pretty short!!! I know the sport bike guys down in Victoria have a route round through Sooke and back across to Cowichan and Duncan that they love!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:54 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ One of my favourites. Victoria to Port Renfrew then across to Lake Cowichan and then return south the Island Hwy. Stretch it out longer through Cobble Hill and Lake Shawinigan if desired. I have to try the Gold River run thanks!

Drove my 993 to Tofino in September. It was wet and wild but everyone was moving quickly (less tourists more locals) so I rarely was held up. Fantastic drive.

For short yet fun drives in Victoria look up Munn Rd (Highlands), Gillespie Rd (Metchosin) and Otter Point Rd. (Sooke)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

As a land locked Albertan just taking the ferry from Vancouver to the island blows me away. Incredible scenery. As long as it's nice weather. Yea, Victoria to Tofino. Calgary to Vancouver is pretty epic too. Vancouver to Whistler. Love BC period. Anybody that lives on the west coast is living the dream! Except for the rain.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

planning on Toronto to Tofino via n. of Superior. Spending 3-4 days in Calgary & looking for day trips. then off to Vancouver & Tofino. ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles & spending time in Portland area for 3-4 days.
continuing down to Paso Robles in California for wine festival mid-October.

Back thru States...open as to which route to take...have to make decision on which sights to take in before mapping out route.
Planning on taking 6-8 weeks . leaving 1st. week September 2016.

open to any & all suggestions.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like fantastic road trip! Enjoy every minute of it. Its been far too long since my last epic RT from Toronto to San Fran.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 PM
twosheds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That drive over the Great Lakes takes forever, don't pull into any small towns too late, you won't find any place open to eat.

The Campbell River to Gold River drive is very well known among motorcycle riders, not much in Gold River though, so you'd want to go out and back in a day. Tofino, on the otherhand, is set up for tourism. When you're headed south don't miss Chuckanut Drive south of Bellingham, it's short but not out of the way either, well worth it. There's not much in Portland compared to Vancouver, no mountains, no ocean, it's a little warmer but just as rainy. There is a very good seafood restaurant there called Jake's.

Geoff.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been thinking of doing the same drive, but instead of going through Ontario I was going to travel through the States. My reasoning is there's more options for food/lodging on the Interstate compared to Northern Ontario.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:07 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I've been thinking of doing the same drive, but instead of going through Ontario I was going to travel through the States. My reasoning is there's more options for food/lodging on the Interstate compared to Northern Ontario.
Hi Brian, Have to agree with you. I'm rethinking going west thru n. States route & coming back thru southern route...that way I can hit most of the scenic routes that have been recommended.

I'd be leaving too early in Sept. to really catch the Fall colours n. of Lake Superior.

Howz retirement?

Stan
Old 11-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TTLATION
Hi Brian, Have to agree with you. I'm rethinking going west thru n. States route & coming back thru southern route...that way I can hit most of the scenic routes that have been recommended.

I'd be leaving too early in Sept. to really catch the Fall colours n. of Lake Superior.

Howz retirement?

Stan
Hi Stan

Retirement is pretty good. Everyday is Saturday.
You're missed at Walter's trailer.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The drive to Port Renfrew / Cowichan is great. But lots of great drives on mainland too--sea to sky to Whistler then past Pemberton (Duffey Lake Rd), Hwy 3, etc. If driving down to CA, I'm assuming you're taking as much of Hwy 1 as possible. Lots of great driving around WA and OR too. Enjoy your drive!

Quick Reply: Scenic drives Vancouver island