Notices

OT: Introducing the 90 second oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 67 Posts
Default OT: Introducing the 90 second oil change...

Not due to debut tomorrow but thought you guys might like a sneak peek into what could very well be the future of oil changes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ment/73527408/

Old 10-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool idea.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Woah... that's wicked.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the filter built into the oil cell? That would be smart.

Thing is, is there really a need for this? With the frequency of oil changes (compared to gas fill-ups or electrical charges) I've never really found the time an oil change takes to be a problem. If anything, it's half an hour I get to sit and relax.

They need to do this with EV batteries, rather than having to wait to charge them.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea because it means dry sump oiling systems. With a dry sump system, you can pressurize the oil before start-up with ease, which means less engine wear.

I also like the idea if it means I can take my oil indoors on a cold evening, and have nice warm oil to use for a cold morning start.

A pre-pressure system that allows you to cycle the warm oil in a cold engine before start. They do it for an F1 car, why not my daily driver?!?

Now just let me take out my batter this easily also... actually, I may just build the quick connect battery this winter as a project during cold nights.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:01 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Cool idea, but it will never happen.
Well maybe, never oem.
Dealers need to bring the car back in so they can empty your pockets.
With once a year oil changes? 4 year lease? four visits?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:06 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

According to what I read, the system can work with either wet or dry sump applications, but the car would have to be designed for this system, it is not a retro-fit. I assume in a wet-sump application, the unit would act as an externally-plumbed filter, but the oil would still collect in the sump and be picked up in the normal way?

When oil change time comes, there is an additional action that first pumps the oil out of the engine into the unit.

I agree with Christien that the time savings is not really a big benefit for me.

I do like the idea of circulating pressurized, warm oil through the engine prior to ignition, but I don't think this system is doing that, although it may certainly be easier to add this capability to this system than to otherwise accomplish it.

I also like the "old fashioned" opportunity to examine the oil coming out of my motors that I currently enjoy!!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 67 Posts

Still very very early days, I would assume the filter is located within the unit itself and yes this cannot be retrofitted into a car it must be part of th initial design off the line.

Never thought about the warm oil aspect PPO, I wonder if the system will be robust enough to be removed / re-installed on a regular basis.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting idea, but can/will it ever happen?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
Never thought about the warm oil aspect PPO, I wonder if the system will be robust enough to be removed / re-installed on a regular basis.
Learned that from Ice Racing. Leaving the car up north (Minden), some teams take a small blow torch to the oil pan and add jumper cables before starting. We got into the habit of draining the oil and removing the battery after a race. The car would sit in -10 or below all week. Pour in fresh warm oil, hook up a warm battery, old junky car starts up really well! (A little quick start never hurts either!)

(On a side note - If you ever want to destroy an engine quickly, a cold start with a warm battery and no oil is a solid option! It will still run, but you don't need to drain the oil because you will burn it all off in one day.)

Quick Reply: OT: Introducing the 90 second oil change...