Question: Vehicle Transport From Vancouver To Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:53 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Question: Vehicle Transport From Vancouver To Toronto

Hi folks,

I'm looking to see if anyone has experience transporting their vehicle from one province to another using a transport carrier?

I've been putting this off for many years, but alas, I may have to succumb to the pressures of corporate Canada and the centre of the universe. There is a very likely chance I may have to move to Toronto Q1 2016.

I don't want to sell my car over a career decision (it was the very reason I decided to treat myself to one!) and would like to bring along with me.

For those of you who live in Toronto, do you drive your Porsche year round? I'm going to need to find a suitable place to live with no immediate plans to buy for the time being. I think it's also safe to say leaving it on the street is not a great idea.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 10-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive shipped a car and used "uShip"

Its basically an online auction where various transport vendors size up your requirements and the lowest bidder wins

In my experience the quotes varied widely, some were outrageous (like more than double what others quoted) and while there may be reasons why they feel their service is worth more I ended up finding a suitable courier with adequate insurance who delivered the car in perfect condition within the time frame we agreed - I was happy

I should say that I did go with one of the cheaper quotes but not the cheapest. The reason? I thoroughly vetted each potential vendor with questions of "What if" so there was no surprises and the something just wasn't quite right with the lowest bidder (he had a couple of negative feedbacks and after a little more digging it seemed he may well be a crook to some degree) so I looked elsewhere

Caveat Emptor......
Old 10-03-2015, 05:11 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought my car in Vancouver and shipped it Toronto using Hansen's https://www.lhf.com. They picked it up on a flatbed at the seller's in North Van and loaded it onto an enclosed rail car bound for Toronto. I elected to go get it at the rail yard myself when it arrived, but flatbed to my house had been included. The car was as clean and perfect as when it left BC.
This was 9 yrs ago, but the price was significantly cheaper than using other types of shipping. I would have preferred to drive it cross country, but it was in March and the idea of dealing with the sand and gravel on the AB & SK roads didn't appeal to me. Winters aren't that bad in the GTA for Porsche owners.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:14 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Sniffer.

I completely forgot about uShip, which I had used in the past. In regards to that, I had a 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider shipped from LA to the border in Blaine, WA quite a number of years ago. The process from start to finish was fantastic, only to find out months later, the driver was charged with drugs inside the truck and whatnot.

I felt pretty uneasy afterwards, and yes, some quotes on uShip were outrageous. I'm open to ideas so until the deal is sealed, I'm staying put in Vancouver.

pongobaz,

Thanks for that! I hit "reply" literally moments after you did so I missed it in my post. I've heard great things about Hansen, but I know they aren't cheap anymore. The idea of driving across Canada does not appeal to me given the circumstances so shipping is the best option at this point.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I bought my car in Vancouver and shipped it Toronto using Hansen's https://www.lhf.com. They picked it up on a flatbed at the seller's in North Van and loaded it onto an enclosed rail car bound for Toronto. I elected to go get it at the rail yard myself when it arrived, but flatbed to my house had been included. The car was as clean and perfect as when it left BC.
This was 9 yrs ago, but the price was significantly cheaper than using other types of shipping. I would have preferred to drive it cross country, but it was in March and the idea of dealing with the sand and gravel on the AB & SK roads didn't appeal to me. Winters aren't that bad in the GTA for Porsche owners.
I second them as well.

Just mark every bit of damage during the inspection. Including the underside of the front bumper...
Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I just did the reverse move from Toronto to Vancouver and I used TFX. Probably the most expensive option out there but ili think it's also the highest end. My 996tt was a junker compared to what they normally ship.

My parents are shipping a car with Hansens right now. I'm sure they're good too.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hansen seemed professional but there was something to be wary of IIRC, it was something to do with their insurance and for a small additional fee it could be waived, well worth doing from memory

Pretty sure that Hansens were a couple of hundred dollars more than what I paid so not a huge difference, they were next choice down from the provider I eventually chose
Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I used Hansens to ship a car from Toronto to Vancouver. Arrived on time and reasonably priced.

Car was rather dirty on the outside by the time I go it. But it crossed Canada on a train in December, so no surprise there. But I'm not the type of get worried about my cars getting dirty.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

TFX international is second to none.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 PM
ansonintoronto
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also used TFX when I purchased my prized VW Corrado from Vancouver 3 yrs ago. Door to door white glove service in an enclosed trailer. If you value the condition of your car....they are second to none.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:46 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

I know prices are likely to have risen, but what was the ball park figure for what you guys paid for transport?
Old 10-04-2015, 07:18 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

In 2006: Hansen's enclosed rail car was $850 including door to door flatbed service.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:32 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Very recent tfx pricing for me was about $2300
Old 10-04-2015, 10:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

TFX
Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

+1 on TFX. Haven't used them myself, but one of my well heeled clients uses them for transporting his exotic toys between TO and Florida where he spends most of the the winter.

Quick Reply: Question: Vehicle Transport From Vancouver To Toronto