Notices

OT: New Car Purchase Problems - Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:48 AM
eddy915
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: New Car Purchase Problems - Any Advice?

Wasn't sure exactly how to proceed here so thought about asking some of you here as you've all been really helpful.

I purchased a new 2016 MDX from Markham Acura on Thursday, July 30. Anyhow, when we started the car and pressed on the gas, my wife / I noticed a faint 'clicking' noise. We thought it may have been the airconditioning as we had the windows up at it was a hot day. Anyhow, later that day, we had the windows opened and noticed that the clicking happened primarily when pressing on the gas and was louder even though the air conditioning wasn't on. Over the next couple of days (it was a long weekend) we noticed the 'clicking' wasn't going away and you could hear it better when passing by stationary objects as the sound was bouncing off them.

With that being said, I sent an email on Tuesday, August 4, after the long weekend to let the dealer know. They told me to bring the car in and they'd take care of it. Anyhow, I drove the car in and took the mechanic for a spin. Basically, he confirmed the clicking noise and said to make an appointment. He mentioned that it was probably a piece of wrapping that wasn't taken off during delivery (obviously it wasn't). They also wasted my time as I was expecting a fix, whereas, they just confirmed the clicking noise that I told them about. So I made an appointment with Downtown Acura for August 18 as Markham Acura said the car should be fine and just bring it in during the next servicing.

Anyways, I go to Downtown Acura...and basically they still have the car and have the engine apart to replace some parts (they don't know what the problem is and are working with Acura engineers) to hopefully fix the issue. In the meantime, they gave me a Kia at first to drive and now a RDX (none of which meet my needs as I bought the MDX as it has 7 seats).

So now I'm pretty upset as: (1) Markham Acura should have identified and fixed the clicking noise before it was delivered...what did I pay the PDI for? If an untrained client (me and my wife) could hear it driving out of the lot I think they were either negligent or purposely sold me this lemon (2) I paid for an MDX and now I'm driving a RDX...If it were for a day or 2...that would be fine, however, the part is scheduled to come in sometime on or before September 11...and that part may not fix the issue.

So I have asked Acura Canada for a new car as I do not feel confident with this car as:

(1) Engine is faulty even before driving off the lot
(2) Back up camera fails about 5% of the time (get a black screen)
(3) The active cruise control seems to be faulty as it sometimes accelerates hard and at times smoother on the same road condition.
(4) Shifting seems to be off with the transmission as it's rough and seems not to find the right gear
(5) The computer seems to have a lag when inputting GPS or commands

Anyhow, the response I received from Acura Canada is basically it's not their problem and they will fix the problem. I feel that this is BS as:

(1) The car should never have been sold in it's condition.
(2) The car will also have been in the shop for longer than I've driven it.
(3) Markham Acura told me that the car was fine so I continued to drive it with the clicking noise so the car had around 1,000km before it made it's way to Downtown Acura....and around 300 - 400 of those kms were related to bringing the car into servicing or test driving it. As there is an engine problem, what damage did I do to the engine by continuing to drive it based upon the advice of Markham Acura mechanic?

Anyhow, I may speak to a lawyer soon to see what recourse I have as this has been a horrible experience and I don't think that my request for a brand new MDX without problems is unreasonable as that's what I paid for.

Please give me your thoughts good or bad! =P

Regards,

Ed

Last edited by eddy915; 08-25-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:51 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bummer. But at the end of the day, they sound like they're working with you to rectify the situation. Is the General Manager involved?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM
eddy915
Instructor

So yes and no. I was told to contact Acura Canada by the dealership I went to get the car fixed at and they contacted the dealership where I purchased the car. The dealership where I purchased the car from said they'd contact me but I'm still waiting for the call.

As for rectifying the situation, I think I would only feel comfortable with receiving a new MDX that is problem free as this one seems to be a lemon and I don't want to have to deal with the problem 5 years down the road when the car is out of warranty. I keep my cars for a while.

I'll keep everyone updated but it's been a terrible experience so far. Perhaps I should have bought a base Cayenne.

Originally Posted by boman993
Bummer. But at the end of the day, they sound like they're working with you to rectify the situation. Is the General Manager involved?
Old 08-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts
Default OT: New Car Purchase Problems - Any Advice?

I avoided Japanese quality by going with a Touareg TDI
Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

you didn't say how long the car has been in the shop for? why wouldn't you just demand the dealer which you bought the car from fix it? seems like you are making the whole thing more difficult.
give them a chance to fix it before complaining on the internet.
if they can't fix it park the car in front of their dealership with a huge sign that says LEMON. that will get them to take the car back. good luck.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:22 PM
eddy915
Instructor

I'm confident with Lexus products as I've had a bunch of them previously. The Touareg is defintely more fun to drive though! =)
Originally Posted by Bud Fox
I avoided Japanese quality by going with a Touareg TDI
Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 PM
eddy915
Instructor

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the advice. The car has been in the shop since August 18th and will remain there until they receive parts that may or may not fix the problem.

The problem is that I brought it to Downtown Acura (instead of Acura Markham) to fix because:
(1) I was very annoyed that they told me to bring in the car to fix but then the mechanic just went with me on a test drive and acknowledged the 'clicking sound'. Meanwhile, my expectation was they would fix the issue or I would get a loaner car so they could do a quick fix.
(2) I wasn't confident with their assessment either as the mechanic said it's just wrapping or plastic that was probably not taken off before delivery of the vehicle. I told him it happens when it accelerates so didn't think it was the problem. He thought otherwise and told me to continue to drive it and can have it fixed when I go in for the first service.

So in hindsight, I probably should have went back to the dealer where I bought the car but I thought it was something really minor / quick fix that could be done within an hour. Anyhow, it's too late now as Downtown Acura has the engine taken apart. So now I guess the situation is more 'difficult' but I still don't understand how they can sell the car to me with the 'clicking noise' which was easily heard when the windows are down. I don't know much about cars / fixing them, but during the PDI this should have been caught. Just gotta figure out how to proceed now.

Anyways...hopefully they will take the car back and give me one without problems.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
you didn't say how long the car has been in the shop for? why wouldn't you just demand the dealer which you bought the car from fix it? seems like you are making the whole thing more difficult.
give them a chance to fix it before complaining on the internet.
if they can't fix it park the car in front of their dealership with a huge sign that says LEMON. that will get them to take the car back. good luck.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 387 Likes on 165 Posts

Call Acura Canada and ask them if they have ever watched the Nick Murray Youtube Videos!!!

This is a brand new 2016 Acura? DEMAND a new one...
Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Dinicod
Racer

Who the hell wants to spend top dollar for a luxury car and then have it in the shop with an engine tear down? It's brand new - a mechanic should not have to touch it. It really is unacceptable, but they will just hold you off until you just give up.
Speak to OMVIC or the APA. A letter from your lawyer may get their attention too.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Agreed, time to reach out to OMVIC or APA and start planning your next moves as I suspect even if they say everything's good you don't want it back due the invasive nature of the fix that involved an engine teardown.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Demand a new car and demand they give you an MDX until this fiesco is settled.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:22 PM
eddy915
Instructor

Thank you all for your advice and support. If I don't get any positive feedback (so far the customer service rep at Acura Canada said it's not their problem and was a bit rude about it) by the end of this week I will follow up with lawyer and OMVIC / APA.

At first they gave me a Kia rental as they didn't have any loaners available, but then the second day they gave me an RDX which really doesn't meet my needs as I bought the MDX for a reason. I've asked for a MDX rental and they said they don't loan those out. Lots of fun.

Last edited by eddy915; 08-25-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added further details.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:25 PM
wxseed
Instructor

I have a 2016 MDX it's a great vehicle. I have the "ticking/clicking noise. The dealer told me it's the fuel injectors because they have gone to a direct injection engine. I think they all have the same faint 'clicking' noise that you mention. The new DI engine has great fuel economy I get about 8.3 litres per 100km on the highway.

I just found this on the 'net http://www.torquenews.com/1574/acura...xplained-video
Old 08-25-2015, 11:53 PM
eddy915
Instructor

Thanks for that added info. The clicking that I hear from the engine actually isn't really at idle. It's when you accelerate. I don't think they'd take apart the engine, order in parts, and work with Acura engineers unless they thought it was an issue?

With that being said...wow...what an awful sound from that video. I would not have purchased the car if it sounded like that. The MDX I test drove before buying the car also didn't have the clicking noise. I would have been happy enough with the SUV had it not been for the problems I've encountered.

Originally Posted by wxseed
I have a 2016 MDX it's a great vehicle. I have the "ticking/clicking noise. The dealer told me it's the fuel injectors because they have gone to a direct injection engine. I think they all have the same faint 'clicking' noise that you mention. The new DI engine has great fuel economy I get about 8.3 litres per 100km on the highway.

I just found this on the 'net http://www.torquenews.com/1574/acura...xplained-video
Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by wxseed

8.3L on the display or confirmed between refills?

Quick Reply: OT: New Car Purchase Problems - Any Advice?