Notices

OT: PAN-AM Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:56 PM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: PAN-AM Games

The 3 levels of gov’t are constantly programming the residents of Toronto with propaganda that we are a WORLD CLASS city.

$30 for parking, $10 hot dogs, $8000 /yr taxes, $500,000 for 600 sq ft on the 22nd floor are examples that we have come of age. These are normal expenses and they will enlighten you, when you make comparisons with NYC, London, and Paris- we live better and cheaper than these centers. Plus we have a lake.

The political propaganda machine was at full throttle last week, via the radio/tv media, with respect to the tearing down of the gardiner expressway. The politicians want everyone to bring their families down and enjoy the lake/waterfront. And if they do tear it down, it will only add 2-3 minutes of extra drive time to connect to the don valley (that’s what their 14 consultant studies state- it’s not them) . REALLY!! Has anyone noticed the 6 lines of train track north of the gardiner? I can’t see the lake because all the condos are on the edge of the waterfront? Who are you kidding?

Now, the latest farce. The PAN-AM games. Toronto is a cesspool of traffic. It will only get worse for a month. Toronto hasn’t built any infrastructure in the core for the last 40 years. Can you imagine how many parking tickets the city will give out; what a nice souvenir for all those out of towners. It will cost you, minimum $40 for a parking ticket. The parking ticket during rush hour is $150 and if the tow trucks get you, your looking around $500. Welcome to Toronto sucker!

If you want to see the biggest concentration of idiots to live within the borders of Canada, visit Toronto. It’s kabuki theatre, 24-7.

Let me know if you are coming for the pan-am games, because truthfully, I live here and I don’t know anyone how is interested in going. Unless, of course, the tickets are free.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

I will be going in the opposite direction, northern Ont bound to enjoy summer and avoid the mess in the city. My gut tells me I am not alone! This HOV nonsense is beyond words.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:26 PM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pags993
I will be going in the opposite direction, northern Ont bound to enjoy summer and avoid the mess in the city. My gut tells me I am not alone! This HOV nonsense is beyond words.
+1
Old 06-23-2015, 02:24 PM
PPo
Drifting

I am going to do what I always do... sit in my downtown TO backyard and listen to the passing police sirens, watch Ornge Helicopters fly overhead, and smoke(BBQ) some sort of meat while playing with the kids on the trampoline.

I will work from home during the games, and visit the office during off hours if required.

I can't see the traffic being as bad as they predict... sometimes we have a major concert, a soccer game, a large conference, and a leaf's game all in one night. The attendance at those events is close to the overall attendance of the games if I understand the hype correctly.

On a side note, I can't see how tearing down the Gardiner could be beneficial... I use it and the DVP daily... I would most likely look for employment in the states if it was decided to be torn down. Actually, I may just sell my overpriced house before the project begins. Then buy a large house in the southern states with lots of cash left over to retire... or pay for health insurance... damn...
Old 06-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

We were give instructions to consider "alternative" working arrangements during Pan-Am. I'm in the traffic business and I can tell you (not that it isn't obvious) it will be a traffic nightmare for those few weeks when the 3+ carpool lane rules are in effect. The plan is to drop traffic by 20% during the games and letting people work from home. I don't know if I can be as productive at home as I am at work.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:01 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
We were give instructions to consider "alternative" working arrangements during Pan-Am. I'm in the traffic business and I can tell you (not that it isn't obvious) it will be a traffic nightmare for those few weeks when the 3+ carpool lane rules are in effect. The plan is to drop traffic by 20% during the games and letting people work from home. I don't know if I can be as productive at home as I am at work.
I am not in the traffic business... So I will trust your judgment.

Could the 3+ carpool lanes cause more traffic than it alleviates? It really doesn't make sense to me...

But then again, I will use an alternate route regardless...
Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo

Could the 3+ carpool lanes cause more traffic than it alleviates? It really doesn't make sense to me...

Why hasn't The Star published any scathing articles about what an utter waste of money these Games are?? They must be getting a huge pay-off from Wynn.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:26 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
Why hasn't The Star published any scathing articles about what an utter waste of money these Games are?? They must be getting a huge pay-off from Wynn.
+ a bunch of public housing. Financial Post has published lots of stuff on this waste of money.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:58 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
+ a bunch of public housing. Financial Post has published lots of stuff on this waste of money.
I didn't know that The Financial Post and The Star still practice journalism. I thought they where daily newsletters for their political parties...
Old 06-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo

The 3+ carpool lanes will ONLY help those that are involved in the Games. It will be devestating for everyone else. Toronto is trying to eliminate the disaster that the Games and the extra traffic will cause so to help their image in the Games's eyes, they came up with this plan. This is just my own theory by the way.

As for the Pan-Am games, the general public (that's pretty much everyone) couldn't give a ratsass about it. This is not the Olympics so no one cares. The tourism industry geared up for a huge influx of tourists and so far this isn't happening and I don't think it will.....not like they projected for anyways.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

When you consider most Toronto hotels and restaurants fill to maximum capacity anyway , even when there is no games in town , i dont see the big boom mathematicaly politicians say we will see. if there ismoney to be made , it will go to all major corporations like Marriott, Hilton, etc etc . i dont see much of a benefit going to the typical citizen.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 PM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

The organizers of this event are so narcissistic and out of touch with reality that they believe everyone welcomes these games because we are warm welcoming Canadians. Have you listened to there bull***? They sound like IMF bankers putting the screws to the Greek population.

What is really surprising is how much faith they have in metro's finest subway system. There's a reason its called "TAKE THE CAR".
Has anyone ridden in a cab lately?The meter is in high speed and your lucky if you travel 1 block.
There's a hi speed train wreck approaching and I'm going to be sitting on the sidelines watching.
I think, Uber, may be the way to go? Not sure. Anything the city hates, I like.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:06 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITT:

I'll be checking out some events. Going to be a good time.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Swap the Pabst cans for Stella cans + a cigar and yeah thats pretty much me sitting on the veranda in summer. LOL
Old 06-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

im taking off to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Iraq, India and Turkey for the month of Pan-Am don't wanna be anywhere near GTA during that time

Quick Reply: OT: PAN-AM Games